Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted DNS control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted DNS control panel

LeviLevi Member

I'am looking for self-hosted solution for DNS.

Must have features:

1. Easy to use API, so I can add/edit/delete records/domains via my nasty PHP app;
  2. Modern DNS server support (PowerDNS for example);
  3. Minimal complexity (no behemoth python, ruby or Perl abominations);
  4. Clustering support to utilize most of my servers and achieve some redundancy/speed;
Thanked by 1truweb

Comments

• akbakb Member

Not sure if it fulfills your 4th requirement but PowerAdmin with PowerDNS should be simple enough.

• LeviLevi Member

Last time I have checked them - it was very bad :-/ . Maybe this time it will be better.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Last time I checked this, it stored records in a seperate database and when handling thousands of zones they became out of sync, which is a bit problematic :smiley:

Thanked by 1Levi
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I use PowerAdmin, have done for years. Not sure it has an API though - but the code it has already could definitely be turned in to one quickly enough I'm sure.

• @LordSpock said:
    I use PowerAdmin, have done for years. Not sure it has an API though - but the code it has already could definitely be turned in to one quickly enough I'm sure.

It does have an API, or atleast so does there features page claim. And I know for 80% sure powerDNS itself has an API

• LeviLevi Member

@Stetsed said:

@LordSpock said:

It does have an API, or atleast so does there features page claim. And I know for 80% sure powerDNS itself has an API

That pdns api is insanely horrible. Trying to validate input to pass to pdns api is living nightmare.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited August 2023

Actually, I will go with HestiaCP. It is very lightweight panel and has dns clusterring.

P.S. API also is nice.

• I use this -> https://github.com/operasoftware/dns-ui

I've used it for years and it does everything I need without a single glitch. Hacking the ldap authentication to use basic auth instead is like two lines of code if that's what you prefer.

Thanked by 1unfortunately
  • Highly recommend https://coredns.io/

Easy to use API, so I can add/edit/delete records/domains via my nasty PHP app;

With a plugin, it can read from mysql with its own format, and its also compatible with powerdns format. Can also read from redis.

Modern DNS server support (PowerDNS for example);

Minimal complexity (no behemoth python, ruby or Perl abominations);

✅ (Golang)

Clustering support to utilize most of my servers and achieve some redundancy/speed;