Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlexHost Suspended Service because of "DDOS" without any prior notice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlexHost Suspended Service because of "DDOS" without any prior notice

nadenade Member
edited August 2023 in Providers

I rented a dedicated as HLS proxy for my site and yesterday AlexHost suspended by service without any prior notice. I found out like 11 hours later and created a ticket, then staff claimed that the suspension was because of "creating DDOS on your server“ and slapped a screenshot of proxied requests. I was like ok but this is just a HLS proxy so I explained what happened and they kept insisting it's violating TOS when I don't see anywhere on TOS saying you can't host a video proxy on their service.

Not going to put any personal opinion but this is just what happened.

EDIT: I probably should say something, yes if a proxy generates a lot of requests then it is perfectly reasonable to question what is going on with the service, but suspending the service without even contacting me in the first place is just.. not cool. In fact I had to find out the service suspension in my email spam box like half of a day later with nothing before that.

Update:

They are basically saying if their auto "anti-ddos detector" detects you then no matter if it's false positive or not, your service is gone

Update 2:
Just to be clear, I am not looking for any refund or compensation or any other stuff, I just feel like people on LET should acknowledge this if they want to choose AlexHost as their provider.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

How much traffic did you generate? Was it constant or they triggered on spike?

• nadenade Member
    edited August 2023

@tentor said:
    How much traffic did you generate? Was it constant or they triggered on spike?

I am not too sure since I never measured that kind of stuff. I have 2 nodes from 2 separate providers (again, glad I made the choice because if both were on AlexHost then my entire service would be down) with 80-20 traffic split and 80 is on AlexHost's side, with 20% of traffic I have around 75Mbps constant so multiply by 4 should be what AlexHost service is handling.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Then it seems like they just don't like constant load - I am unable to find were they provide dedicated 1Gbps port, all I can see at dedicated servers tab has "Port 1 GBps Shared".

• nadenade Member
    edited August 2023

@tentor said:
    Then it seems like they just don't like constant load - I am unable to find were they provide dedicated 1Gbps port, all I can see at dedicated servers tab has "Port 1 GBps Shared".

That's actually not my main concern - if they don't like it then put it on TOS I'd not choose AlexHost in the first place if that was really what they explicitly want. The problem is they are really stretching the definition of DDOS. On top of that they disabled the service without any prior notice, like 0. This is just unprofessional in my opinion.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • zGatozGato Member
    edited August 2023

Just for curiosity, which plan are you using? the cheapest one?

EDIT: just seen 28$ invoice

• nadenade Member

@zGato said:
    Just for curiosity, which plan are you using? the cheapest one?

Yea the cheapest one like 26 EUR per month. The entire purpose of that server is just HLS proxy I am probably only using like half of the resource it has.

• So you're reverse proxying your site basically? but it's a video streaming site?

• nadenade Member
    edited August 2023

@zGato said:
    So you're reverse proxying your site basically? but it's a video streaming site?

I am not reverse proxying the site itself, I am only reverse proxying the video source m3u8 since the source has CORS but yea that's where the main load comes in.

• zGatozGato Member
    edited August 2023

They use another provider for their "Anti-DDoS" (can't even handle a bit of L4 traffic though). Either they can't unblock you because their provider doesn't allow it (which is just more ridiculous) or they just want to boot you off and they found an excuse.

I host something similar as you, and I've never triggered the antiddos of my provider (but 2 speedtests does trigger it). 25k concurrent connections 250Mbit/s both sides. Never had any issue. (not DMCA ignore, because it's nothing ilegal)

• nadenade Member

@zGato said:
    They use another provider for their "Anti-DDoS" (can't even handle a bit of L4 traffic though). Either they can't unblock you because their provider doesn't allow it (which is just more ridiculous) or they just want to boot you off and they found an excuse.

I host something similar as you, and I've never triggered the antiddos of my provider (but 2 speedtests does trigger it). 25k concurrent connections 250Mbit/s both sides. Never had any issue.

Well yea at least I know I'm not getting my money back lol, not like I'd care though it's just ~12 EUR. Gonna find another provider