Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox Supported Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox Supported Server

weir1weir1 Member
edited August 2023 in Requests

I have different multiple boxes, Which is working fine, But I am looking for a differnt solution now, In my current setup, I have to do lot of reverse proxy on IPv4 to expose on Port 80, But not all apps needed IPv4, they can run fine on ipv6 too. But I also required Ubuntu Gui server for 1 of my work & also windows server too.
So I am thinking to move for a little big server, So I can play with whatever I want, with different os'es & needs.
So who is providing cheap server where I can install proxmox, So that I can install multiple OS'es of my choice & I also can easily deploy IPV6 for any of my app

Currently I am paying $12 a month for a server
others are yearly like $25, 30 pound, $30 etc

So guyz Suggest me a good server for my need which can lower my cost but also give me higher spec
1 thing I require is 4tb HDD along with SSD

So guyz tell me best server for my need or Should I wait till BF or CM sell, If I wait then how much I can save

Currently I am going to buy ks1 from kimsufi just to learn all these stuff, as provided help in 1 of thread here

location is not mandatory but If I get SG that will be cool

Thanks Again

Edit: 1 gbps not 100 mbps like Kimsufi or OVH

Comments

• So basically I want
    Proxmox Supported Server
    8gb Ram
    SSD + HDD 4tb
    1gbps Uplink

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

What do you mean by "supported" server? Do you mean you want it managed or just something that "you" can install and configure proxmox on?

• @jfreak53 said:
    What do you mean by "supported" server? Do you mean you want it managed or just something that "you" can install and configure proxmox on?

I can install and configure proxmox

because I think, Not every provider support Proxmox

Its a dedicated, you can install any OS on it you want. So in theory, I don't see how/why any dedicated provider would not permit Proxmox to be installed on a dedicated server. Or are you asking for a VPS?

Price is a bit low honestly if you want SSD and HDD plus want enough cores to support running VMs through proxmox. I mean, theoretically, you can do it with 4 cores, but its gonna be slow as molasses! :lol:

• @jfreak53 said:
    Its a dedicated, you can install any OS on it you want. So in theory, I don't see how/why any dedicated provider would not permit Proxmox to be installed on a dedicated server. Or are you asking for a VPS?

Price is a bit low honestly if you want SSD and HDD plus want enough cores to support running VMs through proxmox. I mean, theoretically, you can do it with 4 cores, but its gonna be slow as molasses! :lol:

I am quite new to this, Specially Proxmox & IPV6 concept
    I know that dedicated server, I can install anything I want, What I am asking is any low budget dedicated server for my use case, I just need 3 OS thats it

• @jfreak53 If I have VNC access or I can attach iso, Can I Install proxmox on server
    I have 1 server with 4 cores & 8gb ram

I mean yeah, issue being $12 a month for a dedicated I don't know anyone who will go that low. I mean I can throw an i5 desktop on a rack for you with those specs for around $25 a month :lol:

• @jfreak53 said:
    I mean yeah, issue being $12 a month for a dedicated I don't know anyone who will go that low. I mean I can throw an i5 desktop on a rack for you with those specs for around $25 a month :lol:

I never said that my budget is only $12 or $25,

I just mentioned my current spending

I don't know what's in it for laugh

I am just evaluating my options

Correct, that's a 2102 series that we had in stock, don't plan on having any more of those unless someone cancels. That being said, that 2102 for $19 a month doesn't have an SSD + 4TB HDD, that's just stock price for 1TB HDD included.

Like I said, I have an i5 desktop sitting here in stock for our IT division I can throw on the rack for $25 a month with the specs you mentioned.

• @jfreak53 said:
    Correct, that's a 2102 series that we had in stock, don't plan on having any more of those unless someone cancels. That being said, that 2102 for $19 a month doesn't have an SSD + 4TB HDD, that's just stock price for 1TB HDD included.

Like I said, I have an i5 desktop sitting here in stock for our IT division I can throw on the rack for $25 a month with the specs you mentioned.

Thanks
    will you please mention all the specs I will get with that? $25 a month one

• Take a look at Pebblehost

I'm with them right now and the servers are nice and stable even with the lower ranges.

Thanked by 1weir1
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

I think 8 GB is way too low for the CPU you need, you won't find that kind of a spec, a kimsufi is good to learn, but many are limited to 100 mbps. Maybe go to the so you start range or a hetzner auction where you can find many kinds of dedicated at low prices. Buying IPv4 with both, but especially with Hetzner is expensive, though.

ANY dedi should be able to run Proxmox, for example I run it on an Atom N2800, the famous KS-1 bucket of rust. It doesn't even have virtualization capabilities in the CPU but can still run containers.

Thanked by 1weir1
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

8GB is to low, Proxmox alone eats 1GB.
    I would recommend at least 16GB.

• @PrincessOfCats said:
    Take a look at Pebblehost

I'm with them right now and the servers are nice and stable even with the lower ranges.

Thats great servers, Problem is I want HDD with SSD.
    is there any server which can have this solution?
    I found Server Factory great server but they have HDD alone or Only SSD option

• spiritlhlspiritlhl Member
    edited August 2023

Proxmox ve minimum system configuration I tried 2 cores 2G RAM 25G hard disk opened 2G SWAP and installed it through Debian without error.

I'd be more inclined to try LXD if the server's configuration is low

• @Maounique said:
    I think 8 GB is way too low for the CPU you need, you won't find that kind of a spec, a kimsufi is good to learn, but many are limited to 100 mbps. Maybe go to the so you start range or a hetzner auction where you can find many kinds of dedicated at low prices. Buying IPv4 with both, but especially with Hetzner is expensive, though.

ANY dedi should be able to run Proxmox, for example I run it on an Atom N2800, the famous KS-1 bucket of rust. It doesn't even have virtualization capabilities in the CPU but can still run containers.

Ram problem will get solve by adding couple of dollars but issue with finding SSD with HDD in cheap category

• @spiritlhl said:
    Proxmox ve minimum system configuration I tried 2 cores 2G RAM 25G hard disk opened 2G SWAP and installed it through Debian without error.

So by having debian we can install proxmox like nested virtualization?

• @weir1 said:

@spiritlhl said:

As long as the server you are using supports nested virtualization and Debian's kernel is still the original kernel, installation is generally not a problem.

Thanked by 2weir1 BasToTheMax
  • weir1weir1 Member
    edited August 2023

@spiritlhl said:

@weir1 said:

@spiritlhl said:

As long as the server you are using supports nested virtualization and Debian's kernel is still the original kernel, installation is generally not a problem.

Current provider is having Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz

but I think its too old & also it doesnt have ssd too

How to know this?
    Debian's kernel is still the original kernel
    btw they have option for custom iso & vnc access etc

• fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited August 2023

Some of the auction dedicated servers at Hetzner come with a SSD + 2 HDDs. You can find them easily with a filter on the number of drives (Min count 3). That's an option I guess.

Or you can configure an extra SSD on a AX41 if you have 50ish euro to spend.

Thanked by 1weir1
  • @weir1 said:

PrincessOfCats said:

PebbleHost does allow adding an additional HDD. Look at the drive options in the "Configure Server" page.

Thanked by 1weir1

@weir1 said: So by having debian we can install proxmox like nested virtualization?

In a VPS only, in a dedi you don't need nested virtualization. We allow nested virtualization in our KVM but the storage is neither HDD nor SSD, it is SAN which is a combo of the two with tons of RAM caching.

• @rattlecattle said:

@weir1 said:

PrincessOfCats said:

PebbleHost does allow adding an additional HDD. Look at the drive options in the "Configure Server" page.

Thanks Thats closest I found, Did they also give ipv6?

• @fredo1664 said:
    Some of the auction dedicated servers at Hetzner come with a SSD + 2 HDDs. You can find them easily with a filter on the number of drives (Min count 3). That's an option I guess.

Or you can configure an extra SSD on a AX41 if you have 50ish euro to spend.

Yep, Specs are awesome, I am seriously looking to increase my budget

• @Maounique said:

@weir1 said: So by having debian we can install proxmox like nested virtualization?

In a VPS only, in a dedi you don't need nested virtualization. We allow nested virtualization in our KVM but the storage is neither HDD nor SSD, it is SAN which is a combo of the two with tons of RAM caching.

I know about SSHD but 1st time read about SAN, Where should I check about it?

• @weir1 said:

@rattlecattle said:

@weir1 said:

PrincessOfCats said:

Thanks Thats closest I found, Did they also give ipv6?

IPv6 is included. The server details page has information about all these.

• @weir1 said:

@spiritlhl said:

@weir1 said:

@spiritlhl said:

Current provider is having Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz

but I think its too old & also it doesnt have ssd too

How to know this?
    Debian's kernel is still the original kernel
    btw they have option for custom iso & vnc access etc

Execute this command to query whether many of the preconditions for PVE are met

bash <(wget -qO- --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spiritLHLS/pve/main/scripts/check_kernal.sh)

Its open source code is available at

https://github.com/spiritLHLS/pve/blob/main/scripts/check_kernal.sh

Thanked by 1sebkehl
    edited August 2023

@weir1 said:

@Maounique said:

I know about SSHD but 1st time read about SAN, Where should I check about it?

https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/insights/faq/what-is-storage-area-network.html

We use Hitachi SAN with FCP. It is state of the art product with RAM caching and multiple layers depending on data retrieval patterns, the most accessed is in the RAM, the next level is SSD and the long term-rarely accessed and the backups on enterprise grade Hitachi HDDs (as the vendor is the only one authorized to operate the device and they only accept their disks in it).

So you only see one device, but the SAN would manage your data for you placing it on a medium as fast as needed.