Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Feedback needed] Free DNS with GeoDNS capabilities
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Feedback needed] Free DNS with GeoDNS capabilities

niknik Member, Host Rep

Hi all,

I am currently working on a DNS solution that has "static records" (setting a fixed record, for example an IP as A record, like with your regular DNS provider) but also "dynamic records", which allow you to create rules based on a trigger (country, continent, region, as number) and a value for it. You can mix and combine them. One use-case would be to build your own "poor mans" CDN.

In general I would like to know what you think about such a solution and what are some features you would like to see? Thanks!

Here are some screenshots of the current version:

Comments

• So it’s basically poor man’s any cast replacement? Also how are you detecting what country they are in?

• It would be great if there API I can use to change record

• niknik Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

@Stetsed said:
    So it’s basically poor man’s any cast replacement? Also how are you detecting what country they are in?

Basically, yes. It's all IP based, requester IP gets matched with a database in the background. It's called EDNS Client Subnet (ECS). Most DNS provider support ECS, apart from Cloudflare (1.1.1.1), they don't provide ECS and thus I don't get the requester IP but only the IP of the Cloudflare node the user connects to (which is also fairly accurate). This is also why Archive.is is not working with 1.1.1.1!

@ailice said:
    It would be great if there API I can use to change record

API is already finished, so this will be available from the beginning. It can also be used for acme clients to renew DNS based certs automatically.

• StetsedStetsed Member
    edited August 2023

Using EDNSCS to do your geolocation will be a bumpy ride and work very little because while yes major DNS providers like Quad9 do have EDNS servers they are not the default, for example 9.9.9.9 doesn’t have it, you have to specifically use 9.9.9.11. I haven’t ever tried it though so YMMV but I am skeptic

• Is this supposed to be a service or self hosted software? Cause if it's a service the main problem is not going to be low it looks or it's features but how fast and reliable it is.

At least if you plan to charge for it. I've built similar stuff before and the main question paying users ask is why should they trust you with their critical infrastructure instead of AWS, NS1 or Rage4 if they're cost conscious.

Just something to think about if you're serious about it :)

@Stetsed said:
    Using EDNSCS to do your geolocation will be a bumpy ride and work very little because while yes major DNS providers like Quad9 do have EDNS servers they are not the default, for example 9.9.9.9 doesn’t have it, you have to specifically use 9.9.9.11. I haven’t ever tried it though so YMMV but I am skeptic

Great that you mention that! I spent days analyzing this. :smiley:

Even if DNS providers do not support ECS, I will receive the IP of the DNS provider. And since big DNS providers are anycasted, the IP is located very close to the origin IP.

The major DNS providers are basically: local ISP resolvers, Google DNS, OpenDNS, Cloudflare and Quad9. Quad9 has around 0.2% market share.

Google DNS does provide ECS, so people using 8.8.8.8 will be handled perfectly fine. Local ISP resolvers are not really critical, since they are local, that means for example a German ISP has a German resolver IP anyways and will be routed to the nearest IP.

edited August 2023

@jimaek said:
    Is this supposed to be a service or self hosted software? Cause if it's a service the main problem is not going to be low it looks or it's features but how fast and reliable it is.

At least if you plan to charge for it. I've built similar stuff before and the main question paying users ask is why should they trust you with their critical infrastructure instead of AWS, NS1 or Rage4 if they're cost conscious.

Just something to think about if you're serious about it :)

Thanks for the input! It will be a free solution. I don't need to earn money with it, since it's part of my PaaS solution. I had the issue that a lot of legacy providers do not support ALIAS records, which is recommended for my PaaS service (if users are not using subdomains, than CNAME is fine). So they can use my DNS service to switch to from legacy providers, which is working fine for years now. The dynamic records are a new feature that I am working on currently. But I am wondering if this is a feature people are even interested in... :smiley:

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • @nik said:
    ... my PaaS service ...

What is your PaaS?

@Dazzle said:

@nik said:
    ... my PaaS service ...

What is your PaaS?

Nodion

Thanked by 1Dazzle