Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Hetzner Hillsboro VPS Down Twice Within 48 Hours
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Hetzner Hillsboro VPS Down Twice Within 48 Hours

Queit unbelievable.
My Hillsboro VPS with Hetzner has experienced two outages within the past 48 hours. The server just suddenly became unaccessible, but the control panel showed the VPS was still online. After rebooting the server from their control panel, my VPS went accessible again. Hetzner has been solid for me over the past year. Serveral days ago, I migrated my VPS from their Germany datacenter to US, and the configrations of the former and the current are almost the same. The former in Nuremberg had been solid for months. So I suspect there is some issues with node where my Hillsboro VPS located. And I've opened a ticket to contact them to get a reply, but I'm half convinced I won't get a satisfactory one. Anyway, I will monitor my VPS for 48 hours and see if the issue still persists. If so, I may have to recreat it to change the node where it located.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Tiket?

• After rebooting the server from their control panel, my VPS went accessible again

Did it crash in software?

And yes you can shutdown, create snapshot (if that still works), detach but keep the IPs and then recreate the snapshot with the reused IPs.

Bonus tip: If you recreate before deleting the first (keep it shutdown), create a Placement Group with the first in it and then create the second in the same Placement Group and it will be guaranteed to land on a different node.

If you have issues across multiple nodes, take another look at whether it might be a crash in software. Best of luck.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2023

This doesn't sound like it's guaranteed to not be a software problem. Avoid getting caught in statements like "it worked fine before so it can't be software" because that's a very common failure of logic. No human is capable of accounting for 100% of all software variables at all times on a Linux system, what's different can be very minimal and not related to anything you intentionally did. No two things are ever identical if you dig deeply enough.

Thanked by 2emgh Erisa
  • rjblrjbl Member

I have no issues in the Hillsboro though.
    Good way to check is https://status.hetzner.com/

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@O0ooo said: unaccessible

How are you trying to access the server? What errors are you seeing?

Did you look at the logs on the server?

Best wishes!

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited August 2023

@jar said: Avoid getting caught in statements like "it worked fine before so it can't be software" because that's a very common failure of logic.

Working in this industry, I see this so often from customers and it drives me mental when they still can't comprehend that it's not "clearly" our error just because it worked before, even after I patiently explain it.
    Software is horribly complex and it's so easy to point the finger of blame at anyone other than yourself. This is true for both sides, it's very important to not get caught in a belief and instead verify the root cause with the facts of the matter.

• emghemgh Member

@Erisa said:

@jar said: Avoid getting caught in statements like "it worked fine before so it can't be software" because that's a very common failure of logic.

Working in this industry, I see this so often from customers and it drives me mental when they still can't comprehend that it's not "clearly" our error just because it worked before, even after I patiently explain it.
    Software is horribly complex and it's so easy to point the finger of blame at anyone other than yourself. This is true for both sides, it's very important to not get caught in a belief and instead verify the root cause with the facts of the matter.

Also had this thrown at me 1000 times as a consultant

I didn’t ”touch it” either

Thanked by 3Erisa PineappleM jar
  • @emgh said: I didn’t ”touch it” either

It's not you and it's not me, so who could it be then? Aliens? :smiley:

Thanked by 3emgh jar dahartigan
  • emghemgh Member

@Erisa said:

@emgh said: I didn’t ”touch it” either

It's not you and it's not me, so who could it be then? Aliens? :smiley:

Clearly

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • My Hillsboro VPS with Hetzner has had no downtime or issues the last 48hrs.

I have monitors setup to alert me.. so far so good. Could be any number of thing as already mentioned, see what support says and go from there.

• davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@Erisa said:
    Working in this industry [...]

That is garbage :)

All the relevant directories in the file system are read-only. If the software didn't change, it likely means the hardware broke. Period :)

Unless someone uses Ubuntu or some other unstable piece of trash that tries to oversmart the user by doing overnight automatic updates... In that case they are not entitled to complain and should reexamine their life choices.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited August 2023

@davide said: If the software didn't change, it means the hardware broke. Period :)

I get where you're coming from since this is a very popular view, but this just isn't true though.

There are many scenarios where software can not change or be touched but be the cause of the issue.
    Take for example limits (the Linux kernel has many, open files and the like), you could hit one of those due to a traffic spike, your application could have a very subtle memory leak you didn't notice, perform an illegal operation randomly (Not your software, so you don't know when it might, etc.) and cause the Linux kernel to freeze or kernel panic. Which would show as the server being "unresponsive" to the user.

An issue on an upstream service you rely on might cause yours to go down with no warning, even. I know from my own experience, there have been many unforeseen circumstances that cause outages that are not the fault of the underlying provider or hardware.

It is very important to diagnose a problem yourself before fixating on the provider as the problem to the degree that some users do. Maybe do both simultaneously to cover all bases, but jumping to conclusions or fixating on your belief of the cause doesn't help anyone.

Thanked by 2emgh Not_Oles
  • @Erisa said: it worked fine before

This was the favorite phrase of my former boss, fuck that bitch

• emghemgh Member

@davide said: Unless someone uses Ubuntu or some other unstable piece of trash

just wow..

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@Erisa said:
    There are many scenarios where software can not change or be touched but be the cause of the issue.
    Take for example limits (the Linux kernel has many, open files and the like), you could hit one of those due to a traffic spike, your application could have a very subtle memory leak you didn't notice, perform an illegal operation randomly (Not your software, so you don't know when it might, etc.) and cause the Linux kernel to freeze or kernel panic. Which would show as the server being "unresponsive" to the user.

Yes, all of this, yes

• davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@Erisa I agree with that, but in your examples, assuming there's some kind of baseline that the user is familiar with, there are major changes from that baseline w.r.t. resources consumption, memory allocation, or invalid opcode, which would normally be peacefully logged rather than cause a freeze that could be mistaken for broken hardware. I think, if the server went down by itself and doesn't boot anymore, the culprit likely ain't the software. (unless it's Ubuntu)

• davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@emgh said:
    just wow..

You are the guy who'd choose Android on a Chinese smartphone to run mission critical tasks. Rock solid, bro. B)

• Cosmic particles will flip bits. Blame the universe instead.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

You are the guy who'd choose Android on a Chinese smartphone to run mission critical tasks. Rock solid, bro. B)

I mostly use Debian, but I do realize how stupid your point about Ubuntu is nonetheless

Edit: Also I haven't used Android for as long as I can remember

• @davide said:
    @Erisa I agree with that, but in your examples, assuming there's some kind of baseline that the user is familiar with, there are major changes from that baseline w.r.t. resources consumption, memory allocation, or invalid opcode, which would normally be peacefully logged rather than cause a freeze that could be mistaken for broken hardware. I think, if the server went down by itself and doesn't boot anymore, the culprit likely ain't the software. (unless it's Ubuntu)

Then lets agree to disagree since we have had very different experiences :smile: thank you for sharing your view.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

I would use a homing pigeon before Android.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@SirFoxy said:

@davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

Yes

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @davide said: You are the guy who'd choose Android on a Chinese smartphone

What do you have against Xiaomi man. I'd take it over most other brands.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @mezoology said:

@davide said: You are the guy who'd choose Android on a Chinese smartphone

What do you have against Xiaomi man. I'd take it over most other brands.

Grandpa Xi appreciates you.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

Yes

I cannot put my fellow comrades through the agony that is a green text, or Minecraft quality images and videos.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@SirFoxy said:

@emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

Yes

I cannot put my fellow comrades through the agony that is a green text, or Minecraft quality images and videos.

Or choosing who you'd wish to share everything there is to know about you with:

• Google
      or:

• China (and Google)

• @emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@davide said:

@emgh said:
    just wow..

Yes

Or choosing who you'd wish to share everything there is to know about you with:

• Google
      or:

• China (and Google)

Facts, Apple doesn't get enough credit for its stance on privacy.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@Erisa said:
    Then lets agree to disagree since we have had very different experiences :smile: thank you for sharing your view.

It sounds romantic, truly, but I don't see the sense of it. I cannot imagine a situation where I couldn't tell the difference between a faulty hardware that stopped booting and one where some userspace process crashes after boot. Okay sshd, apache and what not could all theoretically crash and look like a dead server that doesn't boot try after try, but come on don't tell me this is likely when the user (*) complains that "nothing was changed". It's a fact and science.

...maybe :*

* unless you are @emgh on Ubuntu.

• davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@emgh said:
    I mostly use Debian, but I do realize how stupid your point about Ubuntu is nonetheless

I'm afraid we will have to learn to disagree o:)

• emghemgh Member

@davide said: but come on don't tell me this is likely when the user (*) complains that "nothing was changed". It's a fact and science

Actually, everyone else in this thread but you is telling you that