Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv4 vs IPv4 NAT Pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv4 vs IPv4 NAT Pricing

labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

Hello dear LETTERS

I am preparing two new servers for some new great deals, but thought the community could help gage which kind of deal. No doubt the current storage servers sell like hotcakes but one request I get often is the ability to add dedicated IPv4. Unfortunately with IPv4 pricing the value proposition declines for the cheapest servers.

So if there could be a offer for a VPS with 1TB storage with dedicated IPv4 for $5/month and $2.5 for each additional TB or a VPS with with IPv4 NAT for 1 TB of storage for $2.5/month, which would be the most interesting?

Thanked by 1truweb
IPv4 NAT vs Dedicated IPv4
  1. Do you need dedicated IPv4?98 votes
    1. IPv4 NAT with dedicated IPv6/64 is all I need
      66.33%
    2. I need a dedicated IPv4 for my server
      33.67%

Comments

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited August 2023

I don't buy any server ever that doesn't have a dedicated IPv4.
    IPv6 is just not there yet, and honestly with so many coordination problems from one host to another on IPv6, most of the time, I just disable them.

Storage would be one thing, I would always want t reliable fixed link to, doesn't matter my server is on IPv4 or IPv6, with ports my cloud services might want.

Only thing I really feel NAT ones would be best suited for would be something like crawler, where I don't find having shared IP or random ports.

Now I don't have anything against IPv6, but that's just from my personal experience.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Cheap Backup Storage without IPv4 or with NAT and/or with IPv6 sounds fine too me.
    However, the pricing must be reasonable, to reflect the missing IPv4 address.

Thanked by 2Greyhound Erisa
  • Honestly it depends what it's used for, if it's some sort of public server that I want other people to be able to acces then I would want a dedicated IPv4 adress, simply because not everybody has v6.

However if it's just a bulk backup solution then just v6 is fine as I at home have my own v6 range and my ISP provided one so that works fine just fine and then it doesn't matter as backup over v6 is just as fine as over v4.

• till now, I've never used ipv6 or NAT.
    how does people use ipv6 or NAT to access the vps/server ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@arabgenius said: how does people use ipv6 or NAT to access the vps/server ?

I give an AAAA record to the IPv6 and I access it like that ssh [email protected]

If I got a /64 I don't even bother to change the port as i use "random" addresses usually related to the purpose I use the VM for. Like ending in 8006 for a proxmox or 1023 if it is the 23rd container. Similarly 3128 for a proxy server, 3389 for a remote desktop, also can be de for germany, like ending in ::de:8006 for a proxmox server in germany or ::f:8006 for france.

Once I have assigned an AAAA record, I don't care about the actual IP, I could always ping the hostname if i need to know the IP.

In order to access your server over IPv4, the provider offers an IP and some ports, You can run random services on those ports which would be forwarded to your vm. Alternatively, you can run the service on its native port and use iptables to redirect it to one of your forwarded ports. When I run a complex setup with multiple apps talking to each other and only one needing to get out, I usually leave everything on default ports and forward only the one which needs to be accessible from the legacy internet. It would run natively on IPv6 and on the forwarded port for legacy internet users.

Thanked by 1truweb
  • @Maounique said:
    I give an AAAA record to the IPv6 and I access it like that ssh [email protected]

If I got a /64 I don't even bother to change the port as i use "random" addresses usually related to the purpose I use the VM for. Like ending in 8006 for a proxmox or 1023 if it is the 23rd container. Similarly 3128 for a proxy server, 3389 for a remote desktop, also can be de for germany, like ending in ::de:8006 for a proxmox server in germany or ::f:8006 for france.

Once I have assigned an AAAA record, I don't care about the actual IP, I could always ping the hostname if i need to know the IP.

In order to access your server over IPv4, the provider offers an IP and some ports, You can run random services on those ports which would be forwarded to your vm. Alternatively, you can run the service on its native port and use iptables to redirect it to one of your forwarded ports. When I run a complex setup with multiple apps talking to each other and only one needing to get out, I usually leave everything on default ports and forward only the one which needs to be accessible from the legacy internet.

I have a storage vps with ipv6 and ipv4(shared). I have installed cloud panel to make things easier to manage as it's going to be used only for backup. But when I try to backup directadmin (on another server) to this storage server with ipv6 it's not able to connect via sftp. And for some strange reasons regular ftps is not working as well.

edited August 2023

Check if you have SSH and not dropbear installed.
    If you changed ports for the ones forwarded over the NAT in IPv4, then you need to use the same ones for the IPv6.

Also, check the username and the keyfile for the SFTP.
    For ftps you might need to disable certificate checking if you use self-signed or make sure you use the correct one.

Some services are not listening by default on IPv6, you might need to enable it manually.

Thanked by 1truweb
  • Sir, you need to at least provide a way where ipv4 can SSH to the server like other provider here is doing and if possible allow the domain forwarding if possible :-) as not all here is comfortable with Cloudflare :-)

• @team_traitor said:
    Sir, you need to at least provide a way where ipv4 can SSH to the server like other provider here is doing and if possible allow the domain forwarding if possible :-) as not all here is comfortable with Cloudflare :-)

What do you think "IPv4 NAT with dedicated IPv6/64 is all I need" means?

Thanked by 1sliix
  • IPv4 NAT with dedicated IPv6/64 is all I need

• g121g121 Member

nat enough

• NAT is not suitable for proxy or VPN purposes. An increasing number of large internet companies consider it a risk and are more inclined to block accounts that use shared IPs, such as Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok. Even lenient operators like Google restrict users with shared IPs from posting comments on YouTube and disallow registering new users from shared IPs. They also implement bans on users who log in from different shared IPs within a certain period after registration.

edited August 2023

@FHW7lP said: NAT is not suitable for proxy or VPN purposes. An increasing number of large internet companies consider it a risk and are more inclined to block accounts that use shared IPs, such as Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok. Even lenient operators like Google restrict users with shared IPs from posting comments on YouTube and disallow registering new users from shared IPs. They also implement bans on users who log in from different shared IPs within a certain period after registration.

That is preposterous. Various companies policies are not reasons for not using a setup or another. Many ISPs are using CGNAT with shared IPv4s without even an IPv6 in most cases. Many are blocking Tor and many repressive states are blocking VPN companies, same as various content providers.

Is that a reason to no longer use ISPs with CGNAT, scrap Tor or ditch all VPN companies?
    Of course not, people would use what they can/like in whatever context they like/can, whenever they like/can. It is called freedom/solution.
    You want to spend more for the legacy internet because your provider is not ready, you don't know how to use a NATed IPv4 or for some agenda? Fine, but that is your usage scenario, it doesn't apply to many other people.