Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

yandex soon no more? kremlin could seize them
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

yandex soon no more? kremlin could seize them

https://www.reuters.com/technology/fear-tech-brain-drain-prevents-russia-seizing-yandex-now-sources-2023-08-10/

"Sources told Reuters in May that shareholders in Yandex's Dutch holding company, Yandex NV, could be in line to make $7 billion from a full divestment of its Russian businesses and that Yandex had received bids from several Russian billionaires."

Google tells more on different pages.

Comments

• Isn't VK stated owned? They seem capable of running VK

• keplerkepler Member
    edited August 2023

Their service has turned to shit anyway, and even worse since the sanction to russia. Upto few years ago they still gave pretty generous free email hosting for custom domain, like 1000 mailbox with 5gb per mailbox. Thats enough to take care of a small company email needs.

But they phased it out already. I've got a grandfathered account that still can add custom domain but its gimped to only 3 mailbox.

Their spam mitigation has also going absolute bonkers. One fine day i was testing sending mail to my other mailbox on another provider but its blocked. What i don't understand is why they also blocked incoming email for mailbox thats been rate limited for outgoing. Ended up missing 2 whole days of incoming email because they blackholed incoming into oblivion, no reject no return to sender just outright deleted.

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited August 2023

@kepler said: But they phased it out already. I've got a grandfathered account that still can add custom domain but its gimped to only 3 mailbox.

tbf a lot of western tech giants are clamping down on free stuff nowadays as well, is more of an industry-wide thing imho

• Guess I can't use it to find my debian-14.iso anymore soon.