Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does .5gb make a difference in VPS speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

No. Your RAM (I assume you're referring to) isn't going to make a difference.

You can run the same test on the same VPS several times throughout the day and get different speedtest results.

Thanked by 2BritnneyB homelabber
  • vps mean shared and shared mean the time u run there neighbour abuse them vm or idle it

Thanked by 1BritnneyB
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited August 2023

VPS Speed? Your screenshot is about iPerf3 Network speedtest, not CPU or disk speed. Even with 100GB Memory difference, your Network Speed (whether it's iPerf3 or Speedtest.net) will be fluctuating, especially in shared node and network.

So in plain simple answer, Does .5gb make a difference in VPS speed? No.

Thanked by 1BritnneyB
  • You are sharing resources with your neighbors. Your VPS speed will depend MOSTLY how much resources are (ab)used by your neighbors.

Try running tests at 3am versus 11am

Thanked by 1BritnneyB
  • @dev_vps said:
    Try running tests at 3am versus 11am

Timezones...

Thanked by 1BritnneyB
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@BritnneyB said:
    [data]

Look a the difference of the pings. That hint should be clear enough (No, it's not about RAM but about the fact that it's a virtual machine plus possibly the time of testing).

Thanked by 1BritnneyB
  • BritnneyBBritnneyB Member
    edited August 2023
    • I appreciate the insights very much.
      If I understand correctly, my neighbors determine the speed of my server...?
    • I ran ping tests for a few days and spent a few hours reading LET before posting.
    • I just bought this new (slower) IP address, but it's slower than the one I replaced.
    • This company's support team said it may be my ISP, which I don't understand.
    • The specs are the same for both servers: 4 CPUs and ~80gb disk space, server location.
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2023

@BritnneyB said:

• I appreciate the insights very much.
      If I understand correctly, my neighbors determine the speed of my server...?

With VPS yes, to a considerable (often large) degree.

• I ran ping tests for a few days and spent a few hours reading LET before posting.
    • I just bought this new (slower) IP address, but it's slower than the one I replaced.
    • This company's support team said it may be my ISP, which I don't understand.

Classical response. Sometimes correct but usually just a cheap excuse.

• The specs are the same for both servers: 4 CPUs and ~80gb disk space, server location.

Besides location irrelevant.

At the end of the day you need (a) to do test series, at least over a full 24 hours, and (b) sensible testing.
    Example: One of the reasons I wrote my own benchmark software was that I don't care about 'iperf' or similar "benchmarks" but I wanted real life usage like testing, so e.g. "how many MB per second can I download from a list of http targets to this system?" because THAT is how we mostly use VPS; we run http(s) servers, mail servers, etc - not pings to selected and optimized "show off" servers.

So, if you want realistic real world performance numbers build a list of (mostly) well working targets in all geo regions of interest to you and get a sensible benchmark program.

Thanked by 1BritnneyB