Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fastest VNC connection to linux VPS provider you've used?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fastest VNC connection to linux VPS provider you've used?

What is the fastest/least laggy VNC connection to a VPS you've used? I'm currently using greencloud vps for most of my linux servers but the remmina vnc connection can be brutally laggy. I used to use nexusbytes, which was fantastic, but they went out of business. Anyone have suggestions of VPS providers with fantastic vnc connection speeds?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Are you using VNC directly or through the host control panel? Direct connection should be just as good as using ssh,etc.

• nealbotnealbot Member
    edited August 2023

@MikeA said:
    Are you using VNC directly or through the host control panel? Direct connection should be just as good as using ssh,etc.

I'm using vnc ip and port that I get through the control panel, but I connect using Remmina (a vnc client).

• Why VNC and not other technologies?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Localhost.

Thanked by 2BasToTheMax Ganonk
  • @farsighter said:
    Why VNC and not other technologies?

I at times test apps and switch ip locations using a vpn. VNC doesn't use the ip to connect so I dont lose connection on vnc when I do this

• johndeo983johndeo983 Member
    edited August 2023

Just use chrome remote desktop nothing can compare to it's speed, stability. VNC is dog shit

• This is not related to the VNC software you use, probably your latency to the provider is generally trash. Both using the provider's web VNC and a standalone client, you eventually connect to the host node, the web VNC does it with websocket and a VNC client will use the node's IP and a high port, but the latency is your TCP ping to the node. Anything lower than 100ms will give you smooth expeirience, at least 30fps is enough to not feel laggy.

• @nealbot said:

@farsighter said:

I at times test apps and switch ip locations using a vpn. VNC doesn't use the ip to connect so I dont lose connection on vnc when I do this

If you exclude ssh from your VPN client you can use Nomachine NX which is faster. I tried it long time ago.

• @farsighter said:

@nealbot said:

@farsighter said:

If you exclude ssh from your VPN client you can use Nomachine NX which is faster. I tried it long time ago.

Is there a tutorial to do this somewhere? Worth a try

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited August 2023

@nealbot said:

Is there a tutorial to do this somewhere? Worth a try

For simple cases (like when using OpenVPN client from command line) you can use the following set of commands:

ip rule add from <public IP> table 128
    ip route add table 128 to <public IP> dev eth0
    ip route add table 128 default via <default gateway IP>

Change eth0 with your network card name as needed.

Make sure the rule exists:
    ip route show table all | grep 128

Now you should be able to SSH (or use NX remote desktop) for example into your machine while VPN is on.

By the way a change done this way is not permanent and will not survive reboot. To manually undo the change without reboot:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

If you get accidently locked out you'll need to rescue yourself through VPS control panel. You can always completely turn down VPN network-interface using the following command:
    ip link set <VPN network-interface> down
    You can find VPN network-interface name in 'ip link show' or the (deprecated) 'ifconfig' command outout.

The above will not work for all types of VPNs. For complex cases like when using GUI VPN client software there's a different approach (which uses 2 bash scripts, one for VPN-up the other for VPN-down) which is much better but unfortunately it's not with me at the moment. If you remind me on Monday I can send it to you when I get back home.

• @nealbot said:
    What is the fastest/least laggy VNC connection to a VPS you've used? I'm currently using greencloud vps for most of my linux servers but the remmina vnc connection can be brutally laggy. I used to use nexusbytes, which was fantastic, but they went out of business. Anyone have suggestions of VPS providers with fantastic vnc connection speeds?

NoMachine is much much better.

• @dev_vps said:

@nealbot said:

+1 for NoMachine

Haven't used VNC in years.

Cross-platform, easy to get running, reliable, works well - checks all the boxes for me.

• @Don_Keedic said:

@dev_vps said:

@nealbot said:

+1 for NoMachine

Haven't used VNC in years.

Cross-platform, easy to get running, reliable, works well - checks all the boxes for me.

Even YouTube plays smooth when using NoMachine