Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which linux distro?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which linux distro?

Hi all,

I'm sure I'm going to cause quite a stir here, but which flavour of linux is the "best"?

I was a fedora core user years ago
Then Centos, until RHEL made it a test environment
Then I moved to Debian
But I see Rocky and Alma linux are almost identical to CentOS

What's your preference? Rocky or alma and why?

If another why?

Thanks

Chip

Comments

• Alpine is bestest, you can keep the OS in memory and diff/audit your changes.

Thanked by 2hades_corps Sauron
  • cxgcxg Member
    edited August 2023

It is Debian for me because that's what I am familiar with. Also it stays out of my way and does what I expect it to do.

Edit: Never user Alma or Rocky

• keplerkepler Member
    edited August 2023

Debian. If Debian isn't a choice ie oracle cloud then ubuntu. Tried rpm based distro but still prefer apt based.

Thats for cloud vps. For local machine few years ago when I'm still actively using desktop, was a big fan of opensuse.

Thanked by 1chip
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I use Debian. It is incredibly stable.

• Whatever the most recent version of anything that a provider is providing then i will stick with that. I dont find a huge difference when it comes to RHEL ditro's and debian based distro's IMO but will get the same task done. But if i had to choose i will just pick debian / ubuntu.

Thanked by 1chip
  • bermudibermudi Member
    edited August 2023

@chip said: I'm sure I'm going to cause quite a stir here, but which flavour of linux is the "best"?

hahaha well with that phrasing that's for sure.

There's no "best" Linux, that's it's beauty, each has a "purpose" and will be better suited for different tasks.

If we're talking server OS, probably Debian

edit: I forgot to add, I use arch btw

• I prefer Alma as I am quiet comfortable with CentOS

Thanked by 2chip equalz
  • I like debian as it's lightweight and has good documentation and software support due to it's popularity

Thanked by 1chip
  • Debian, for servers usually Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1chip
  • slackware

Thanked by 1chip
  • Debian,

thanks.

Thanked by 1chip
  • chipchip Member

@bamboo4409 said:
    slackware

Ooh that's a different one, why slackware?

• debian

Thanked by 1chip
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@kepler said: For local machine few years ago when I'm still actively using desktop, was a big fan of opensuse.

I liked it too. However, latest years i find it too bloated (it was before too, but now is way over my tolerance threshold).
    These days I run a mini.iso for the bare bones with expert install then I add the basics and whatever I need later. After a few months/a year I find it again too bloated with things I no longer used in a while so I wipe everything again.

Note: I use windows 10 because I am always gaming in background, but I x2go into my "serious" desktop running on a laptop with a broken display I got for pennies on olx which is arguably beefier than my "thin client" I use for gaming and costed less than half.

Thanked by 1chip
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@bermudi said: There's no "best" Linux, that's it's beauty, each has a "purpose" and will be better suited for different tasks.

Linux is arguably the kernel, rest is the distro, the packaging and extras.

I always preferred modular things with the best possible granularity in choosing as I am usually "designing" VMs and even bare metal for a single task. If it were possible I would do the same with a car, choose the chassis, the engine and even those in various sizes and with some extras and buy later the "comfort" and "luxury" stuff, preferably from other vendors with some competition... That is why I don't own a car :P

Fortunately, regarding distros there is a wide choice and a wide choice within the distro, forks (I like Devuan a lot) "based upon" and whatnot. One could argue there is too much choice and too much forking with too little maintenance and too much dropping the ball, but not in Debian's case.

Thanked by 2jfreak53 chip
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

We are an all-Linux shop, other than a few VMs running Windows for software needs (New versions of Wine have made this less and less), all tech desktops and laptops run Xubuntu, even our Dev division. Only exception is the design guys are running Mac, but that's it really.

Servers really it depends entirely on the software you are running on it, there is no best flavor IMO. Some software runs better on RHEL-based, while others do not. Mostly for hosting stuff we run Alma now. For smaller VMs or servers that will serve a single purpose we do Ubuntu since its quicker to setup for some software.

Thanked by 1chip
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Debian Is my personal choice now, I used to like CentOS and RedHat 9

Thanked by 1chip
  • Arguably, Rocky and Alma are not like CentOS and are more like RHEL that is til of recently where IBM continued to do IBM things.
    Usually on servers Debian/Ubuntu are my go to. What makes Debian beautiful is how stable it is, and it runs off just about everything.
    I was considering going to Rocky/Alma but since IBM decided to hide its srpms, I'm questioning the stability of both projects. The 10 year support cycle makes them both equally nice. Although I think Alma is a bit quicker on releasing updates. But seeing that in the future Alma will fork off the CentOS Stream project makes Rocky look better.

For desktop, I run with OpenSUSE tumbleweed. Only because I've been using this distro for ages and im pleased with what it provides.
    Also RH9 derivatives are x86-64v2 and newer only. OpenSUSE is also likely to go this route as well. Not a concern if you don't have anything older than a AMD FX or Intel Nehalem. But could be a concern if you like running ancient 64b systems.

Thanked by 2chip WebProject
  • Debian for servers and Ubuntu for desktop.

Thanked by 1chip
  • Debian for server. Used to use manjaro for desktop but now I'm moving to Zorin which is based on Debian. Also uses Gentoo for development purpose.

Thanked by 1chip
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

On a server - Alpine

Thanked by 1chip
  • opal4891opal4891 Member
    edited August 2023

@jsg said: The problem with democracy is that by definition > 85% of the voters are not particularly intelligent

And the problem with human nature is we all presume we are part of the 15% not the 85%..

Thanked by 2chip seenu
  • kaitkait Member

Server: Debian (Might switch to alpine)
    Desktop: Arch + Hyprland

Thanked by 1chip
  • kaitkait Member

@opal4891 said: And the problem with human nature is we all presume we are part of the 15% not the 85%..

You mean 25% right? /s

Thanked by 1chip
  • ubuntu for me! been my go to for all vps and self hosted servers. easy to use you can say

• davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

Has anyone tried Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

I have no idea what it is, but I highly recommend it.

Thanked by 1chip
  • @davide said:
    Has anyone tried Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

I have no idea what it is, but I highly recommend it.

No, my friend. You are 13 years behind. It is the era of GNU Hurd. Use Debian GNU/Hurd

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • davidedavide Member
    edited August 2023

@prince18 said:
    No, my friend. You are 13 years behind. It is the era of GNU Hurd. Use Debian GNU/Hurd

I also highly recommend that one. Is it better than Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

Thanked by 1chip
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Anything works for me, just should not be ages behind.

Thanked by 1chip
  • nfnnfn Veteran

I've used both Rocky and Alma, they use the sources, you'll get the same stable environment.
    Alma is faster to release updates.

Debian is very stable too, so that the beauty of Linux... You can choose a test whatever you want.

I mostly use Alma since has longer released for production.

Thanked by 1chip