Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with DirectAdmin notification emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with DirectAdmin notification emails

Hello, does anyone here know if Direct Admin notification emails are affected by customer settings? I'm having issues with DA mails not reaching me and being bounced back to my DA account but if I log in to webmail interface using my DA account and try to send an email I can send them just fine. The issue seems to only be with DA notification emails when there is an update or there has been a new installation with Softaculous and hosting provider keeps telling me to change things on my DNS settings.

Also, the from and reply-to headers on the bounced emails are using the hoster's domain instead of my domain.

Comments

• chipchip Member

@bermudi said:
    Hello, does anyone here know if Direct Admin notification emails are affected by customer settings? I'm having issues with DA mails not reaching me and being bounced back to my DA account but if I log in to webmail interface using my DA account and try to send an email I can send them just fine. The issue seems to only be with DA notification emails when there is an update

Yes the settings are in custombuild, their is an "email" which is probably wrong and causing the NDR's your getting

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • You mean the hosting provider has to fix it?

• chipchip Member

@bermudi said:
    You mean the hosting provider has to fix it?

Is this a virtual server?

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • @chip said: virtual server?

is a shared web hosting service

• chipchip Member

@bermudi said:

@chip said: virtual server?

is a shared web hosting service

So is this error generated by softaculous or directadmin?
    If its softaculous their is an "email settings" section where you will need to put your email address

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited August 2023

yes, whenever I try to install (or remove) anything in softaculous, there is a field at the bottom that says "Email installation details". But I'm not getting those mails. A few minutes later I get an email on my Direct Admin main account reporting the bounce back.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[my-mail]@gmail.com
        host relay.mailbaby.net [209.159.154.242]
        SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
        550 This message was classified as rSPAM and may not be delivered https://mail.outboundspamprotection.com/mailinfo?id=redacted&user=redacted
    Reporting-MTA: dns; sharedhost44.[host-provider]

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;[my-mail]@gmail.com
    Remote-MTA: dns; relay.mailbaby.net
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 This message was classified as rSPAM and may not be delivered https://mail.outboundspamprotection.com/mailinfo?id=redacted&user=redacted
    Subject Removed Installation of e107
    From    [host-provider]
    To  [my-mail]@gmail.com
    Date    Sun 11:59
    An installation of e107 has been removed. Following were the details of the installation :
    Path : /home/[my-domain]/domains/[my-domain].xyz/public_html/e107
    URL : http://[my-domain].xyz/e107
    MySQL Database : [my-domain]_e107775
    MySQL DB User : [my-domain]_e107775
    MySQL DB Host : localhost
    MySQL DB Password : S[y7(p1pN7
    Time of Installation : August 1, 2023, 11:21 pm
    Time of Removal : August 6, 2023, 7:59 pm

If you wish to unsubscribe from such emails, go to your Control Panel -> Softaculous -> Email Settings

• chipchip Member

@bermudi said:
    yes, whenever I try to install (or remove) anything in softaculous, there is a field at the bottom that says "Email installation details". But I'm not getting those mails. A few minutes later I get an email on my Direct Admin main account reporting the bounce back.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[my-mail]@gmail.com
        host relay.mailbaby.net [209.159.154.242]
        SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
        550 This message was classified as rSPAM and may not be delivered https://mail.outboundspamprotection.com/mailinfo?id=redacted&user=redacted
    Reporting-MTA: dns; sharedhost44.[host-provider]

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;[my-mail]@gmail.com
    Remote-MTA: dns; relay.mailbaby.net
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 This message was classified as rSPAM and may not be delivered https://mail.outboundspamprotection.com/mailinfo?id=redacted&user=redacted
    Subject   Removed Installation of e107
    From  [host-provider]
    To    [my-mail]@gmail.com
    Date  Sun 11:59
    An installation of e107 has been removed. Following were the details of the installation :
    Path : /home/[my-domain]/domains/[my-domain].xyz/public_html/e107
    URL : http://[my-domain].xyz/e107
    MySQL Database : [my-domain]_e107775
    MySQL DB User : [my-domain]_e107775
    MySQL DB Host : localhost
    MySQL DB Password : S[y7(p1pN7
    Time of Installation : August 1, 2023, 11:21 pm
    Time of Removal : August 6, 2023, 7:59 pm

If you wish to unsubscribe from such emails, go to your Control Panel -> Softaculous -> Email Settings

That explains your provider saying about your DNS I suspect you need SPF as the email are being rejected by mail.baby as spam (your provider must be relaying email through mail.baby)... so I think your provider is right you need to look at your DNS records

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited August 2023

@chip said: That explains your provider saying about your DNS

It doesn't matter that the from header is using the providers domain? I thought that meant the SPF record goes in the provider's DNS records for their domain

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I suspect this is about our DirectAdmin plans. I configured Softaculous (almost) identically to our cPanel server. cPanel uses my admin domain to send notifications to users, which seems logical. However, for some reason Softaculous on DirectAdmin insists on sending the e-mail from the domain of the user. I don't like that. This meant that I've had to make some changes in our configuration to accomodate the way it sends e-mails. I've never noticed it because my test environment used the only mail it worked with and I haven't had any tickets about it.

This might also not be in regards to our plans since we haven't had any tickets about it, only after this post :-)

• @labze said: I suspect this is about our DirectAdmin plans.

No, I am talking about a different provider, although I tried to replicate it in your service and found a similar issue so I opened a ticket and I believe you fixed it right away. Thanks btw!!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bermudi said:

@chip said: That explains your provider saying about your DNS

It doesn't matter that the from header is using the providers domain? I thought that meant the SPF record goes in the provider's DNS records for their domain

The From header is effectively cosmetic. Envelope sender is all that matters for that.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@bermudi said:

@labze said: I suspect this is about our DirectAdmin plans.

No, I am talking about a different provider, although I tried to replicate it in your service and found a similar issue so I opened a ticket and I believe you fixed it right away. Thanks btw!!

A happy coincidence then, wouldn't be aware of the issue if you hadn't reported it :)

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Hi all!
    It's us. I mean we are the provider.

And it's a really weird issue OP experiencing. And it's really frustrating from a customer's point.

But none of our other customer facing this issue. which is strange

We even tested with different account on the same server, and also installed scripts using softaculous
    But we never got these emails, and softaculous always send us installation details on provided email address

We are still investigate and hope we will find the issue on OP's account ASAP

Now we are waiting for OPs approval so we can test and try to recreate the situation on his/her account,

If anyone has experience similar situation like these then they can share their experience which will definitely help us and others in future

Regards,

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • Yes, I tried very hard to hide the provider because I wanted more feedback on the issue and I didn't want anyone thinking this was a review or complaint about the service. You guys have been very good at getting back to me

@bermudi said:
    Yes, I tried very hard to hide the provider because I wanted more feedback on the issue and I didn't want anyone thinking this was a review or complaint about the service. You guys have been very good at getting back to me

No problem and nothing to hide.
    We must accept any kind of feedback no matter if it's good or bad.
    A feedback will always help a business to improve further.

And in your case you did nothing wrong by asking people for help.

Even it will help us to resolve the issue even faster if we can find some solution on the internet which ultimately saves our time.

Anyways, we are working on the issue and I hope we will find some solution for your issue very soon.

Regards,

Thanked by 1bermudi

Update to @bermudi
    As I personally monitored your ticket,
    I can see your issue resolved.

And as per our team we just removed to DNS records from the account (which is not ours)

And we successfully received emails from the server after install/remove any script from Softaculous.

We didn't received any bouncing email from the server

So according to the ticket, we've previously told you to modify the dns records

Anyway, hope your find your issue is resolved now

If you still find the issue exist even after our test please reply us back.

We will definitely research further to solve your problem

As I said previously, no matter if it's positive or negative, your feedback will always welcome as it will help us to improve more

If anyone have witness similar issue and have any fix for it you can share your experience, it will definitely help other to understand the situation

Best Regards,

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • I have updated the ticket with new info.

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited August 2023

EDIT: I am an idiot, who doesn't understand browser sessions!!!

Happy to know that your issue resolved

Thank you for the update

Regards,

• Default email of da is admin@hostname (ex. [email protected], you must add dkim and spf in your dns records

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • That was what I figured. Mail.Baby was causing me some confusion as well because it keeps routing a few emails through mailchannels casing the spf validation to fail sometimes. I have it working fine now with gmail sending me directly to inbox with DKIM and SPF passing. Now I'm going to test MTA-STS and then erase everything and try a new domain because that's how you know you really learned something :P