Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About some providers offer Windows VPS Hosting on a bring my own key basis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About some providers offer Windows VPS Hosting on a bring my own key basis

I bought Windows7 pro, Windows8 pro and Windows10pro. They have not been used for a long time.
Can I install it on a Windows VPS hosting that provides its own key? some providers offer Windows VPS Hosting on a bring my own key basis.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Generally yes you can...

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

If you can install from an ISO you can do it anywhere. Albeit, dumb to do on a server.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited August 2023

@suut said: Can I install it on a Windows VPS hosting that provides its own key?

Of course you can, but you need custom ISO (upload your own or send ticket to them) though. Because the ISO usually is Windows Server not the regular ones.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

The provider's cooperation with Microsoft determines whether this can be done. Service provider agreements (SPLA) may include terms and conditions that specifically disallow using own Windows licenses on virtual servers, but allow it on dedicated servers. To ensure accurate information, it is best to inquire with your provider rather than seeking advice from forum members.

• @suut said:
    I bought Windows7 pro, Windows8 pro and Windows10pro. They have not been used for a long time.
    Can I install it on a Windows VPS hosting that provides its own key? some providers offer Windows VPS Hosting on a bring my own key basis.

Windows Server OS works much better on VPS in desktop mode. Even with 1 GB RAM.

• @MikeA said:
    If you can install from an ISO you can do it anywhere. Albeit, dumb to do on a server.

a use case could be to running Powershell scripts and SQL Server Express engine / PostgreSQL database engine

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@dev_vps said:

@MikeA said:

a use case could be to running Powershell scripts and SQL Server Express engine / PostgreSQL database engine

yeah but using desktop OS for SQL database is also not great.

• @MikeA said: yeah but using desktop OS for SQL database is also not great.

How different is the server edition from Pro version really? I thought you could just go to add features and get the exact same thing

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Usually Providers don't care.
    EULA says something like its considered haram to install Windows 10 on a Server.

However, nobody does enforce it anyway.
    Except the DC/ISP has some agreement with Microsoft and if they see you bypassing it, they ask you nicely to pay or fuck off.

If they catch you that is.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited August 2023

@MikeA said:

@dev_vps said:

@MikeA said:

yeah but using desktop OS for SQL database is also not great.

if you look at my post above, I have recommended using Windows Server 2019/2022 on VPS

Even on 1gb VPS , windows server runs pretty good.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited August 2023

@bermudi said:

@MikeA said: yeah but using desktop OS for SQL database is also not great.

How different is the server edition from Pro version really? I thought you could just go to add features and get the exact same thing

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-10-enterprise-vs-windows-10-pro-modern-management/ba-p/720445