Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can you check whether a DNS server IP address is authoritative for a domain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can you check whether a DNS server IP address is authoritative for a domain?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited August 2023 in General

I am trying to setup a domain registered at Netcup to be its own authoritative DNS server on a buyshared.net CPanel system, ie use ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as the nameservers for domain.com

I have followed the buyshared instructions and added ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com A records pointing to the specific buyshared nameservers used for this purpose, which are different from buyshared's general ns1-ns4.private-nameserver.net.

However when I try to add ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com and their associated IP DNS addresses the Netcup DNS panel rejects the entry and I suspect that the specified buyshared DNS servers are not responding to queries as to whether they are authoritative DNS service for domain.com.

I can't tell whether the problem is with Netcup or buyshared but there must be a general method of telling whether a DNS server has been configured to see itself as authoritative for a domain even if the domain registrar has not confirmed it as such.

Do dig or nslookup have such options?

For the time being I have set the nameservers for the domain to ns1/ns2.private-namserver.net and that works fine.

UPDATE:

I have resolved my original problem now.

I ordered both CPanel and DirectAdmin from BuyVM and mixed up the nameserver addresses in their welcome emails.

There seem to be no problems on both the Netcup and Buyshared sides.

My question still stands as to whether an IP address can be queried directly to see if it provides authoritative name service for a domain

Comments

• fartfart Member

dig +trace +additional mydomain.com

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I have resolved the problem now.

I ordered both CPanel and DirectAdmin from BuyVM and mixed up the nameserver addresses in their welcome emails.

There seem to be no problems on both the Netcup and Buyshared sides.

My question still stands as to whether an IP address can be queried to see if it provides authoritative name service for a domain.