Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it reasonable for a provider to charge for service transfer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it reasonable for a provider to charge for service transfer?

I'm curious, is it reasonable for a provider to charge the transfer fee.
I understand that adjustments may be required for billing, databases, and other factors, but what do you guys think a reasonable price range for such a service?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Another way to word this is: is it necessary for a provider to offer service transfer?

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Depending on the service and how much hours it take.
    If it's something you can transfer with 2 clicks (cPanel-to-cPanel), it is usually free with most providers.
    Else, where manual actions are required, a fee is ok.

Thanked by 2Teko default
  • edited August 2023

It's a decent compromise allowing people to transfer services (keep a deal alive, provider customer base is net zero instead of negative), thwarting abuse (people scalping deals), and the cost of doing the transfer.

• I think it is alright considering transfer fees are usually $8-15, it is $8 for Racknerd and similar for others, maybe a token-based system would be better so that users can transfer the server to another active account with some active services and limitations to transfer a service number of times in a month.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Charging a transfer fee is effective to discourage excessive scalping.
    During the transfer processing, the provider has to spend effort in verifying the recipient account.
    After the transfer, the provider incurs risk of the recipient account being abusive.

It is reasonable to limit how often a service may be transferred.
    However, such limit shall not exceed once per billing cycle.

It is reasonable to require a renewal during transfer processing.

It is reasonable to require ID verification on both accounts.
    This applies only if a privacy policy is published and provider accepts liability in case of ID theft.

It is unreasonable to void the dealz after the transfer, unless this is disclosed before processing the transfer request and charging the transfer fee.

It is unreasonable to require recipient account to have an active service or have certain age.
    This applies only if a transfer fee is charged; does not apply if transfers are free.

It is unreasonable to charge transfer fee in excess of one-month price on a full-price product or in excess of one-year price on a discounted product.
    For very limited Black Friday flash sale dealz (e.g. $6/year 4GB VPS), this limit may be increased to the one-month price of an equivalent full-price product.

Top providers for service transfer:

1. GreenCloudVPS: first and second outgoing transfers are free, $10/each afterwards, manual processing within one hour.
    2. VirmAche: $3/each, automated processing.
    3. SmartHost: no cost, manual processing within one day.
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Does it take time for someone to do?

If so, charging for it is reasonable.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I'm pretty sure some providers have this in their TOS?

Anyways i think it's totally alright and acceptable. Just a little.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Typically, transferring a service should be free, as it is usually a straightforward process handled by billing software. However, in some cases, such as transferring between resellers or when there are multiple dedicated servers under one account, the provider may charge an administrative fee.

• TekoTeko Member

I created this post because I was asked to pay 10 USD to transfer a 14 USD annual VPS, which makes me feel it is unreasonable.

• which makes me feel it is unreasonable.

if it is a really good and rare deal, why not? :-)

• @Teko said:
    I created this post because I was asked to pay 10 USD to transfer a 14 USD annual VPS, which makes me feel it is unreasonable.

Transfer fee is always flat and not directly proportional to service because it will take same effort to transfer $1 VPS vs $10 VPS.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @Teko said:

That sounds very reasonable.