Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ClamTK setup and use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ClamTK setup and use

Hi,

NOTE: I am new to server management and am learning so I'm sorry if anything below sounds stupid.

So I have setup a Linux server through Vultr and managing through Runcloud. I am going through and implementing some server-side protection in terms of Malware scanning and AV. I have installed Maldet and run the initial scan and so now hopefully that will work of it's cron and daily scan.

I have also installed ClamAV through terminal on my Mac. I wanted to install ClamTK (which I have done) so that I have a GUI to make it a bit easier to manage. The problem I am finding is that when I try to run Clamtk I get this error:

(clamtk:3106): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:35:21.044: cannot open display:

I've been through various tutorials of installing a desktop and trying to run it that way but nothing seems to be working. I'm wanting to use ClamTK so I can rely a little less on the command line as I'm learning and also set up a schedule for scanning. It's essentially the last bit of 'security' that I feel I need to implement at this stage but it's bugging me I can't set it up!

I'm also finding that it is using a huge number of resources when it runs (I have removed the daemon) - so any tips on this would be helpful :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Imunify 360 check it :)

• @rockinaway said:

clamtk is desktop app, so it needs x-server to render its output. So if you really need this GUI and are connecting to your server remotely, you have to run X-server locally (i.e. cygwin if you are on win-platform) and properly set $DISPLAY variable on your server (i.e. parsing "who am i" through awk in your .profile file).

Honestly, I do not recommend this at all. Get used to command-line, or search for some web-interface (i.e. ClamAV WebUI). There should be no gui-enabled apps on server, as the whole X-concept is not exactly secure...

Thanked by 2emgh nezam05
  • emghemgh Member

@Jarry said:

@rockinaway said:

clamtk is desktop app, so it needs x-server to render its output. So if you really need this GUI and are connecting to your server remotely, you have to run X-server locally (i.e. cygwin if you are on win-platform) and properly set $DISPLAY variable on your server (i.e. parsing "who am i" through awk in your .profile file).

Honestly, I do not recommend this at all. Get used to command-line, or search for some web-interface (i.e. ClamAV WebUI). There should be no gui-enabled apps on server, as the whole X-concept is not exactly secure...

If the purpose is learning, I agree 100 %, but I’d also skip the Web UI.

Having a UI means that you’re not forcing yourself to commands, and when you know how to navigate the command line, most things (although not all) is so much more efficient.