Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a high-performance dedicated server in Chicago
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a high-performance dedicated server in Chicago

snowersnower Member

Came across this forum a couple of times during my search for suitable servers recently, thought I might get some help from you experts here.

I'm looking for a dedicated server with high-performance CPU in Chicago, ideally with low-latency network. Let's say it is for high-frequency trading (though it's a little different from that). By high performance I specifically mean it should have high single-thread performance. The number of cores is of no interest to me. By this standard it probably should have Intel i9 or equivalent AMD CPU in latest generation, or somewhere less than latest.

I've googled hard on the web with little success. Most of the server providers I found have old server CPUs, which have a reasonable number of cores but poor single-core performance. I know that usually number of cores matter more than single-thread perf for servers, but I have this specific need here that I find hard to meet.

Is there any recommendation/hints for finding the server I want? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • Datapacket does Ryzens. Their Chicago network is basically the best in the world.

• @DP said:
    @DataWagon?

The Ryzen 7900 and dedicated network looks promising. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of their servers to test (ideally for a few-day trial).

• @fluffernutter said:
    Datapacket does Ryzens. Their Chicago network is basically the best in the world.

I only saw Ryzen 5950 from their offer, which might be enough. Regarding network they offer unmetered bandwidth, perhaps that's why the price is high. However in this case I'd actually prefer metered bandwidth with low latency and high throughput.

I might give it a try with lower priority. Thanks though.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@snower
    We aint that far in retrospect of latency for Chicago.
    You can test from our looking glass http://looking.dataideas.com

• musicalderpmusicalderp Member
    edited August 2023

@snower said:

@fluffernutter said:
    Datapacket does Ryzens. Their Chicago network is basically the best in the world.

I only saw Ryzen 5950 from their offer, which might be enough. Regarding network they offer unmetered bandwidth, perhaps that's why the price is high. However in this case I'd actually prefer metered bandwidth with low latency and high throughput.

I might give it a try with lower priority. Thanks though.

Love datapacket's network, you can ask them for 95th percentile billing if that suits you better, ran datapacket chicago for a bit and their network is amazing

• @snower said:

@DP said:
    @DataWagon?

The Ryzen 7900 and dedicated network looks promising. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of their servers to test (ideally for a few-day trial).

they do metered if you ask.

• @fluffernutter said:

@snower said:

@DP said:
    @DataWagon?

they do metered if you ask.

Then that sounds worth a try :)

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

@snower said:

@DP said:
    @DataWagon?

We have 7950X and 7900X available in Chicago now :)

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@fluffernutter said:

Exactly how is it "basically the best in the world"?

• @wdmg said:

@fluffernutter said:

Newtork is fast my man

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited August 2023

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but @Atomic_Networks has Ryzens in Chicago -
    https://atomicnetworks.co/chicago-vps-hosting (just make sure to hit the "premium" side of the "budget/premium" toggle to bring up the Ryzens instead of Intel)

As I said, I haven't had any experience with them yet but everything I've read about has been positive. They're rocking 7950x's, so that should fit your bill perfectly.

• @wdmg said:

@fluffernutter said:

Good mix of carriers, in a network hub, pretty solid peering agreements as well. One of the better networks you can use in the US if your goal is to reach the US/Canada.

• Atomic_NetworksAtomic_Networks Member, Patron Provider

@Don_Keedic said:
    I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but @Atomic_Networks has Ryzens in Chicago -
    https://atomicnetworks.co/chicago-vps-hosting (just make sure to hit the "premium" side of the "budget/premium" toggle to bring up the Ryzens instead of Intel)

As I said, I haven't had any experience with them yet but everything I've read about has been positive. They're rocking 7950x's, so that should fit your bill perfectly.

Hi @Don_Keedic, thanks for thinking of us! If OP is interested in competitive pricing for a 7950X Dedicated Server in Chicago, feel free to drop a PM our way!

• @Atomic_Networks A Ryzen 7950X dedicated-CPU VPS would actually be perfect for me, since I don't really need that many number of cores. However, it shows as "coming soon" on the website. Can I inquire when will soon be and I will probably give it a try?

• Atomic_NetworksAtomic_Networks Member, Patron Provider

@snower said:
    @Atomic_Networks A Ryzen 7950X dedicated-CPU VPS would actually be perfect for me, since I don't really need that many number of cores. However, it shows as "coming soon" on the website. Can I inquire when will soon be and I will probably give it a try?

Watch our presence on LET, we plan to announce some very intriguing deals on 7950X hardware in the coming weeks :smile: