Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Additional IPv6 of OVH US VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Additional IPv6 of OVH US VPS

Hello everyone,

I have a OVH US VPS with an IPv4 and an IPv6 (/56). Now I failed to add additional IPv6s.

The network manager is systemd-networkd, and I've tried to append addresses in /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network then sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd

Additional IPv6s can be set in control panel when using other providers, but I saw no related functions in "https://us.ovhcloud.com/manager/#/dedicated/ip?serviceName=vps-blah-blah.vps.ovh.us"

So is it possible to add additional IPv6s to OVH US VPS, and how if possible.

Thank you.

Comments

• thanks for the information

• @wils0np00le said:
    thanks for the information

thanks for your first post, was so helpful.
    you will be a great addition to the forum.

• Maybe this link will shed some light on your problem: https://www.linode.com/docs/products/compute/compute-instances/guides/systemd-networkd/#configuring-additional-ip-addresses

Or you can add them manually with ip addr add IPv6PREFIX::cafe:1 dev eth0 Note that they will be gone on reboot.

• edited August 2023

@sanderr said:
    Maybe this link will shed some light on your problem: https://www.linode.com/docs/products/compute/compute-instances/guides/systemd-networkd/#configuring-additional-ip-addresses

Or you can add them manually with ip addr add IPv6PREFIX::cafe:1 dev eth0 Note that they will be gone on reboot.

Thanks for replying, but maybe you misunderstood my meaning:
    What your link points to is what I've tried.
    Adding IPv6 to VPS is OK, and here is the result:

user@ovh02:~$  ip -6 a
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 state UP qlen 1000
        inet6 2604:2000:123:123::abcd:cdef/56 scope global 
        inet6 2604:2000:123:123::1234/56 scope global 
        inet6 fe80::cdef:abcd:0123:1234/64 scope link proto kernel_ll 

One of the IPv6 above is the default IP, which is OK, and the other one is what I've added, which is not working.

Here is the content of /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network:
    user@ovh02:~$ cat /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network
    [Match]
    Name=eth0

[Address]
    Address=12.34.56.78/24
    [Route]
    Gateway=12.34.56.1

[Address]
    Address=2604:2000:123:123::1234/56
    [Route]
    Gateway=2604:2000:123:123::1

[Address]
    Address=2604:2000:123:123::abcd:cdef/56
    [Route]
    Gateway=2604:2000:123:123::1

As you can see, the setting of 2 IPv6s are identical, so I think the root of error is not my local configuration, but somewhere of OVH control panel or something.

Maybe I should open a ticket, but previous experience with support is not good:
    the support staff behaved like a robot, which couldn't know what I mean, only recommend "upgrade the service" or "we are investigating and be patient".

Thank you anyway.

• edited August 2023

Solved. It's prohibited. (Hope admin of let to append a [Solved] mark to the title, would you?)
    Reply from OVH:

Oscar (OVH US)

Aug 4, 2023, 5:42 PM EDT
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to our Support Team, unfortunately at this moment we only offer one(1) IPv6 per server. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns that we can assist you with.

Oscar P.
    OVHcloud Support

Please visit our online help center: https://support.us.ovhcloud.com/hc/en-us