Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia | Federal Law No. 406-FZ | New laws regarding hosting in Russia.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia | Federal Law No. 406-FZ | New laws regarding hosting in Russia.

https://torrentfreak.com/images/Russia-Federal-Law-No.-406-FZ-230731.pdf
https://torrentfreak.com/putin-outlaws-anonymity-user-id-verification-for-online-services-vpn-bypass-advice-a-crime-230801/

Hosting Companies Must Obtain State Approval

The new legal amendments effectively regulate the business of “providing computing power” for the purposes of the “placement of information” on a system “permanently connected to the internet.”

The obligations placed upon operating companies by the state are numerous and the new amendments make no attempt to hide that compliance with the state on security matters is mandatory. Authorized ‘state bodies’ carrying out investigative activities or those related to the security of Russia may require use of “computing power” and hosting companies will be expected to prevent any disclosure of those activities.

As mentioned earlier, before hosting companies are permitted to provide services to users, they will be required to positively identify potential customers using government-approved mechanisms. However, that can only take place when hosting companies themselves receive government permission to conduct business. That appears to involve the shouldering of considerable liability for whatever appears on their platforms.

Registration and Compliance

It’s envisioned that the government will appoint an entity to form and maintain a register of hosting companies. Once on the register and with permission to operate (deadline February 1, 2024), hosting companies and online services will be provided with a list of activities, content types, and certain behaviors prohibited by the state.

Platform operators will be required to implement measures to “eliminate the identified violations” and then report the outcome to the authorities. Failure to do so will mean exclusion from the register and with that, the ability to conduct business in Russia.

To even qualify for potential placement on the register, hosting companies must be Russian legal entities, under the control of a Russian citizen who doesn’t have citizenship in another country. By September 2024, state entities may only use “computing power” available from companies with a listing on the register while the use of “information systems” and software owned by foreign legal entities or citizens, will be prohibited.

Similar Russian ownership rules will also apply to news aggregator platforms, which will operate under the ultimate control of the Russian government, with known implications for the freedom of the press.

Thanked by 1koly1

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@stefeman said: software owned by foreign legal entities or citizens, will be prohibited.

Erm.. sounds just like what China did. I wonder how well this will go over...

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2023

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@stefeman said: software owned by foreign legal entities or citizens, will be prohibited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux

idk, it seems like a mess. Software and Hardware independence is nice goal for any nation in today's world really. But it cannot and shouldn't really be enforced for citzens.

• KrisKris Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Erm.. sounds just like what China did. I wonder how well this will go over...

Like IPv6 implementation at ColoCrossing.

edited August 2023

@stefeman said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux

idk, it seems like a mess. Software and Hardware independence is nice goal for any nation in today's world really. But it cannot and shouldn't really be enforced for citzens.

still appears to be a fork of Debian. Either way. They saying works on Huawei equipment. That is NOT Russian equipment nor is Debian Russian software either.

Its crazy what Governments around the world force appon their citizens.

The US aint all peaches and cream either. Everywhere has their own issues.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I guess there goes my 150ms optimized route to Japan and Hong Kong.

edited August 2023

@Neoon said:

I'm honestly surprised that both China and Russia hasn't cut off the "world" from external internet companies and gone straight only Russia internet.

Either way this all sucks for the citizens either way you put it.

Thanked by 3MikeA default szymonp
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

This is really unfortunate for Russians (add to the list of already infinite number of unfortunate things). So much progress being held back or reverted by the government. Really making sure foreign companies don't ever want to invest in the country again.

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@Neoon said:

I'm honestly surprised that both China and Russia hasn't cut off the "world" from external internet companies and gone straight only Russia internet.

Either way this all sucks for the citizens either way you put it.

Indeed, wireguard still works fine, on stuff hosted in dc's, however already getting censored on residential lines.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2023

In times of crisis, stupid leaders build walls, while wise leaders build bridges. I see Russia busy with a conflict on the border, but it seems its leaders want unrest on the inside too - this is not wise at all. I expected Russia to act smart and use the internet as a tool for creating a sense of freedom and progress; instead they want to put a wall inside it, likely for control of population. The thing with controlling masses is that it can sometimes work if done properly when the psychological environment is right, but it can also backfire in really ugly ways. I guess we will see how this turns out.

Meanwhile, I am sorry for the Russian population and for their little sense of freedom remaining.

• ooowwwwooowwww Member
    edited August 2023

@default said:
    In times of crisis, stupid leaders build walls, while wise leaders build bridges. I see Russia busy with a conflict on the border, but it seems its leaders want unrest on the inside too - this is not wise at all. I expected Russia to act smart and use the internet as a tool for creating a sense of freedom and progress; instead they want to put a wall inside it, likely for control of population. The thing with controlling masses is that it can sometimes work if done properly when the psychological environment is right, but it can also backfire in really ugly ways. I guess we will see how this turns out.

Meanwhile, I am sorry for the Russian population and for their little sense of freedom remaining.

The Russia "people" seems to be pretty happy about the wall that's protecting them form the evil west and the progress heresy ,they are defending it vehemently, even can bee spotted on let. Some people are really natural slaves and eunuchs

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@default said: but it seems its leaders want unrest on the inside too

Nop. This is precisely to PREVENT unrest. India cuts internet just every other day because the country is going to shit. You simply can't stoke religious and ethnic tensions in a country like India, Modi is simply out of his mind. Yugoslavia was a cordial divorce compared with what India could be.

Similar multinational countries, especially one with unwilling "subjects" of the "federation" should do all they can to encourage dialogue and exchange of ideas.
    Instead they go for isolation which is guaranteed to increase paranoia. You fear more what you don't know or understand.

In such a "federation" you need an unifying factor, an external threat or common interests vs the rest of the world might be good, complete isolation would make people wrestle with their neighbour instead, when you are in jail your fellow prisoners are looking more suspicious than the guardians themselves.

After months of struggle I finally found a Russian provider to optimize MY routes, incidentally they are not Russians but have DC in Russia. I really hope I won't have to restart the search just to be cut off again. Perhaps Uzbekistan is a solution? @Neoon please give me some hints on bypassing Russia but still have decent pings to Korea in case I lose my "Russian connection".

edited August 2023

@Maounique said:

@default said: but it seems its leaders want unrest on the inside too

@Neoon please give me some hints on bypassing Russia but still have decent pings to Korea in case I lose my "Russian connection".

I am not an expert on this, since I am enjoying my free non cock blocked western internet.
    As said before, Wireguard still works fine, for now.

My few russian nodes are fully meshed, with around 80 wireguard links in total.
    I don't expect them to just disappear over night.

However, I am currently working adding a few things to wg-mesh to support stuff like @rm_ mentioned https://github.com/infinet/xt_wgobfs out of the box in case putin goes full retard so I can continue to enjoy my low latency asia link.

I had a node in Kazakhstan, which I now regret that I let it expire.
    Maybe it worthy looking into nodes around russia.

Thanked by 1Maounique

@Neoon said: with around 80 wireguard links in total

Okay, I know I am crazy but when I look around I take heart.
    I only have one node :P

@Maounique said:

@Neoon said: with around 80 wireguard links in total

Okay, I know I am crazy but when I look around I take heart.
    I only have one node :P

Half of this is just IPv6, since its running dualstack on most nodes.
    Setup a full mesh and pray for it to hold, when the day comes.

• @default said:
    I guess we will see how this turns out.

North Korea 2.0

• Next is Brazil with the communist goverment

• This situation in Russia is worrying.
    In Brazil I do not believe it will occur, maybe it will worsen the censorship part.

edited August 2023

@truweb said: In Brazil I do not believe it will occur, maybe it will worsen the censorship part.

Lula is not controlling the parliament. Even Bolsonaro had issues with the Parliament and it is likely they will continue to resist dictatorship from both extremes.

Thanked by 1truweb
  • they will be required to positively identify potential customers using government-approved mechanisms.

The lack of not doing this initially :# , I guess the difference with western is that the gov decides which party does your checks.

hosting companies and online services will be provided with a list of activities, content types, and certain behaviors prohibited by the state.

Sounds like proactively applying existing law with some additions but more angry.

Authorized ‘state bodies’ carrying out investigative activities or those related to the security of Russia may require use of “computing power” and hosting companies will be expected to prevent any disclosure of those activities.

Interesting, but isn't this common practice already? Similar how to police can seize your car by waving their uniform?

By September 2024, state entities may only use “computing power” available from companies with a listing on the register while the use of “information systems” and software owned by foreign legal entities or citizens, will be prohibited.

Eh, I hope they're aware of how firmware in any kind of hardware works. You cant even connect to 99% of the world over network hardware. If this means a bump for new kind of hardware platforms or existing ones that can be forked, thats great. With 2024 as deadline however you need some serious E-waste logistics management.

• ^ I had no idea someone could find these draconian laws reasonable or even try to relate them with western setups. But then again, some people still thinks that Russia is a democracy and that putin has 95% support.

Thanked by 2emgh ooowwww
  • I had no idea someone could find these draconian laws reasonable

I doubt this law makes any difference in the real world. Like I said most of it (probably) already applies but with a different tone or is impossible to pursue. I'm entertained by it's stupidity

or even try to relate them with western setups.

Guess what countries share similarities regardless of how much you hate them. Cars have wheels, water is wet. Your comment is hot air.

We all know, Putin is a flawless democrat.
    Nothing to fear.

Thanked by 2emgh ooowwww
    edited August 2023

@Neoon said: We all know, Putin is a flawless democrat.
    Nothing to fear.

I think he is a Republican, though.

A "christian" with the same hate for LGBT people, minorities who are sent to their deaths, immigrants too who are conscripted, "shithole" neighbours to the south (only rapists and drug dealers) and a friendly northern one (Arctic Ocean), he is making the Empire great again, started the War on Islam way earlier than Bush, he managed to put the women back to their place (near the cooker) but he didn't ban abortions yet.
    I guess nobody's perfect.

As for the laws regarding surveillance in the West, the Russian ones have a much wider scope, it is basically a nationalization of everything but the profit, the government would treat the IT infrastructure as its own under a tenant administration. Comparing this to what we have is like comparing a soviet factory with a Western company. They might be both producing stuff and employ people, but that was about the end of the list of similarities.

• In Russia, many people promise a lot of things but do little in the end. A few years ago, the parliament passed a law to remove national roaming when moving to another region. Roskomnadzor gave two weeks to implement it. In the end, it was implemented only after two years and not completely. On cheap tariff plans, some operators still charge for calls if you call to another region and to a number belonging to another region of Russia.
    As for Internet providers, many hosting companies will simply move offshore to another jurisdiction. Which many have now done.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Can any Russian resident comment on this? I see many foreigners sharing opinions but the ground reality can come only from people living in Russia :D

Thanked by 2let_rocks ooowwww
  • @BlaZe said: Can any Russian resident comment on this? I see many foreigners sharing opinions but the ground reality can come only from people living in Russia

What is written with a pen cannot be cut down with an axe. But not always..

• xaocxaoc Member

@BlaZe said:
    reality can come only from people living in Russia :D

😬

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited August 2023

I thought already, the day has come, that my HK link is fucked.
    Smokeping says yes.

The Packet loss you see there, was actually a software bug, which is fixed.

However my primary direct route, had so much packet loss, it was not usable anymore.
    The Secondary, well its a Russian ISP, have a guess.

So needed a 3rd route.
    Bought a new machine from firstbyte.ru its like 75RUB which translates to 0.70€.

Profit.
    I fucking love mesh vpn's, plug and play.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@BlaZe said:
    Can any Russian resident comment on this? I see many foreigners sharing opinions but the ground reality can come only from people living in Russia :D

Russians have a long history of internal conflict and war with their own state, which sets them apart from Westerners. This difference in experience makes it difficult for Westerners to understand Russian behavior. The latest law appears to be aimed at exerting more control over the internet and making it financially beneficial for the state. Heavy fines are expected for providers who do not comply. This action aligns with the needs of a state at war, which requires increased control and funding.