Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU-US data privacy framework (dpf)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU-US data privacy framework (dpf)

kasodkkasodk Barred
edited August 2023 in News

A new privacy agreement between the EU and the US now makes it legal for EU companies to transfer personal data to US companies.

(It has been illegal because of GDPR)

In other words, US hosting providers can now legally host EU personal data if they adapt to EU-US dfp. Google Analytics and other Google product are again legal to use in the EU.

LET providers from the US are going to make billions now.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_3721
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_23_3752

Comments

• emghemgh Member

I hate this

I hate it all

I hate that the biggest outcome of all this

Is that small providers have no chance to ever follow the rules

And the giants can up their profit margin even more because of the huge advantage of being able to afford to understand & adapt to the legislation

This is how you effectively break the free market without explicitly doing it

That’s my hot take for the week

• kaitkait Member

ffs, GDPR was so fun, now its fucked again. Why does the EU fuck us over so hard all the time.

• @kait said:
    ffs, GDPR was so fun, now its fucked again. Why does the EU fuck us over so hard all the time.

because it's the EUdSSR!

• kaitkait Member

@hyperblast said: because it's the EUdSSR!

I LOL'ed fr, its true though.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited August 2023

@kasodk said:

and will be again in a year after the lawsuit against the privacy agreement is through courts.
    Unless the USA kills NSA and CIA and whatever else agencies they have that think privacy and human rights don't apply to non usa citizens, it is impossible to get to a lasting agreement.

Have fun building processes on a ruling where it is legal for one year and then illegal for 6 years and you will have to pay 4% of the firm's worldwide annual revenue if you get cought in the 6 years.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • emghemgh Member

@user54321 said:

@kasodk said:

and will be again in a year after the lawsuit against the privacy agreement is through courts.
    Unless the USA kills NSA and CIA and whatever else agencies they have that think privacy and human rights don't apply to non usa citizens, it is impossible to get to a lasting agreement.

Have fun building processes on a ruling where it is legal for one year and then illegal for 6 years and you will have to pay 4% of the firm's worldwide annual revenue if you get cought in the 6 years.

I actually think that the big cloud providers love this complex legislation. It’s effectively a safeguard that keeps any competition from outside of themselves out from any enterprise-level contracts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kasodk said:
    LET providers from the US are going to make billions now.

Tens, maybe low hundreds. GDPR lovers are like the people who want IPv6 only servers. Pretend they don't exist and they come out in droves to berate you. Sell them something and you'll make pennies.

• kaitkait Member

@jar said: GDPR lovers are like the people who want IPv6 only servers.

Good analogy, GDPR is/was fun but definitely broken and no one gave a fuck about it. We are fucked and we already have camera's in our asses so why bother with privacy. /s

• @emgh said:

@user54321 said:

@kasodk said:

I actually think that the big cloud providers love this complex legislation. It’s effectively a safeguard that keeps any competition from outside of themselves out from any enterprise-level contracts.

maybe? but I don't think so. It did cost them allready billions in fines which they had to pay and out of the box you legally can't make business as a european company with a us company if personal data ever touches the servers. You always have to make custom contracts and pay millions for lawyers to make these contracts. If you are not a really big company you simply can't afford to work with non EU companys.
    Sure there are many small companys which think fuck it we do it anyways, but these would also make business with small usa companys.

So no it is not a safeguard that keeps big cloud providers in business.

• kaitkait Member

@user54321 said: It did cost them allready billions in fines

They have this calculated into the operation costs, they pay the fine and continue with their operations but a bit different.

Same as the CIA that monitors everyone, a judge says its illegal to do so, they change a small thing and continue to monitor everyone.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@user54321 said:

@emgh said:

@user54321 said:

@kasodk said:

If you are not a really big company you simply can't afford to work with non EU companys.
    Sure there are many small companys which think fuck it we do it anyways, but these would also make business with small usa companys.

So no it is not a safeguard that keeps big cloud providers in business.

Wrong, even EU governments use american cloud services. In Sweden, mostly Microsoft

Who actually themselves take part in events educating public employees about what’s ok to pawn off and what’s not (they don’t arrange them, often just invited to speak)

I saw one very interesting video

A Microsoft lawyer (swedish) debating against another swedish lawyer about what’s okay to put on american clouds and what’s not (actually more like a panel discussion)

The Microsoft lawyer was crazy good, very well spoken, confident, very positive that Azure is secure and the US won’t be an issue and so everything’s perfect

The non-Microsoft lawyer was much more careful, didn’t want to make any generalized claims, sometimes argued against the Microsoft lawyer, but mostly just saying that the law is unclear and that we’ll have to wait and see

Obvious that Microsoft’s goal is to persuade governments, not in some secret spy CIA-FBI-fashion, but rather through spending huge amounts of money on for example lawyers that’ll help to make sure that you remain GDPR compliant while using Azure, when in reality, they’re meant to serve as marketing

This is something that small companies can’t ever afford to take part in

I’ve read gov contracts for cloud here in Sweden, there’s often ton of GDPR/EU fluff, in addition to super expensive ISO codes that you have to qualify for (that I’d bet the big clouds helped with defining by providing their ”industry experience”)

Finally, it has to be said that, obviously, rules and standardization are not bad things by default, but I believe it’s gone way too far and I see a trend in it very quickly increasing in Sweden and in the EU as a whole

• Oof.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@emgh said: I hate this

I hate it all

We all hate Europe.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@raindog308 said:

@emgh said: I hate this

I hate it all

We all hate Europe.

At least the EU has some marginal to utilize when it comes to becoming worse