Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Budget Shared Hosting in Canada
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Budget Shared Hosting in Canada

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone has low-cost shared hosting recommendations in Canada, at a minimum with the following specs?

• Min 15GB Storage (SSD, No HDD)
  • Min 3 Websites & 3 Databases
  • Email
  • Free SSL
  • Weekly Backups

So far I have found Servarica in Montreal, with their "Shared Hosting Plan - SSD PLUS" at $49 CAD/year, but would like to see if there are any offers lower than that.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani

Comments

• emg88emg88 Member
    edited August 2023

Why does it have to be in Canada? You shouldn't care where it is, it doesn't matter much anyway

• Servarica is great, I'd just stop looking. If you can live with the site being hosted outside of Canada, @speedypage offers free BunnyCDN with several CDN nodes in Canada. Depends if it's a performance requirement or a legal requirement, but both are solid providers.

• @emg88 said:
    Why does it have to be in Canada? You shouldn't care where it is, it doesn't matter much anyway

Unless you're using a CDN, it totally matters. If most of your visitors are going to be from Canada, a Canadian host will serve the website faster than a hosting provider from Australia (unless the Canadian host is shiat).

• alt_alt_ Member

You may wanna try OVH shared hosting (Quebec) https://ovhcloud.com/en-ca/web-hosting/shared-hosting/

• @fluffernutter said:
    Servarica is great, I'd just stop looking. If you can live with the site being hosted outside of Canada, @speedypage offers free BunnyCDN with several CDN nodes in Canada. Depends if it's a performance requirement or a legal requirement, but both are solid providers.

Thanks! Looks like we're going to go ahead with Servarica for this one.

@homelabber said:

@emg88 said:

Unless you're using a CDN, it totally matters. If most of your visitors are going to be from Canada, a Canadian host will serve the website faster than a hosting provider from Australia (unless the Canadian host is shiat).

That has been our primary reason. Most of this site's users are in Canada, and with it being low volume don't see the point in complicating it with a CDN.

• darkh0rsedarkh0rse Member
    edited August 2023

@alt_ said:
    You may wanna try OVH shared hosting (Quebec) https://ovhcloud.com/en-ca/web-hosting/shared-hosting/

Thanks, unfortunately, not a fan of the routing that OVH has with the major ISPs on the west coast from Quebec. The traffic ends up hopping across the border into the US, at which point might as well get hosting there.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@homelabber said:

@emg88 said:

Also data laws?

Thanked by 2homelabber darkh0rse
  • @ericls said:

@homelabber said:

@emg88 said:

Also data laws?

True, since they are asking for a shared hosting I was assuming it was for a landing page or a blog, but since they say they're going to have databases they may have users.

I'm not familiar with Canadian laws but if they're similar to EU's GDPR, then they totally need a Canadian hosting provider for simplicity.

Thanked by 1darkh0rse
  • crocweb comes to mind if you can commit multi-year, used them for many years.