Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare’s last Warrant Canary was published over a year ago (HN discussion)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare’s last Warrant Canary was published over a year ago (HN discussion)

more infos here https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36937413

what do you think about it?

Thanked by 2sillycat JasonM

Comments

• kaitkait Member

They glow.

• They're such a small and new company, they probably just forgot it, nooothing to worry about. Seriously, there are multiple reasons why not to use Clownflare. Even though if they might actually forget a random blog post, a huuuge american MITM company maaaaayyy occcaassisonally work with the feds.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Absolutely hilarious to see the Cloudflare CEO replying in the thread. He has the time to post a reply but not to send an email to his staff to update the blog post.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

I think Matthew Prince have some very good points in the thread that should be taken into consideration too (easy to miss)

Now, as to what’s going on with the internet, I believe that it’s in everyone’s interest if the internet was more decentralized compared to now, Cloudflare has a huge power over large parts of it

However, capitalism does this. I’m not anti-capitalism, still, one has to admit, in many areas it makes small players have a very hard time trying to complete against the larger ones. Especially on the internet. Economics of scale is a very real thing and that’s why Cloudflare can offer crazy good services for a very resonable price (often free)

Maximizing decentralization isn’t rewarded, quite the opposite

I think Cloudflare have been a lot better compared to how most companies with the same power would have been had they been in Cloudflare’s position

• kaitkait Member

@emgh said: Now, as to what’s going on with the internet, I believe that it’s in everyone’s interest if the internet was more decentralized compared to now, Cloudflare has a huge power over large parts of it

Last I've seen they own >85% marketcap in the ddos/reverse proxy kinda industry

I disagree with you that capitalism does this but lets not get into that.

• emghemgh Member

@kait said:

@emgh said: Now, as to what’s going on with the internet, I believe that it’s in everyone’s interest if the internet was more decentralized compared to now, Cloudflare has a huge power over large parts of it

Last I've seen they own >85% marketcap in the ddos/reverse proxy kinda industry

I disagree with you that capitalism does this but lets not get into that.

Crazy

I cba to look for historical data, but I’d bet many sites used to use their registrars built-in DNS

But none of these registrars have made their free DNS as robust as CloudFlare with a free included reverse proxy & WAF-rules

Either they’re all dumb, or, it’s just not that rewarding financially

• kaitkait Member

@emgh said: Crazy

Didn't 60% of the internet die because cloudflare fucked up once? I don't like them, thats why I use something else.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@kait said:

@emgh said: Crazy

Didn't 60% of the internet die because cloudflare fucked up once? I don't like them, thats why I use something else.

Is there even a free alternative?

With a requrement being unlimited domains, good network (dosen’t have to be as good, but at least close), reverse proxy, easy SSL, basic WAF?

If not, if not capitalism, it’s the result of something still

• kaitkait Member

@emgh said: Is there even a free alternative?

No, not with your requirements. There are ways of doing it but no where near as good as cloudflare.

@emgh said: If not, if not capitalism, it’s the result of something still

Let me DM you if thats ok with you. Don't want to derail this smoll thread

Thanked by 1emgh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think warrant canaries are legal BS and don't work.

• @raindog308 said:

Dang, I miss that GitHub design.

• emghemgh Member

@Erisa said:

@raindog308 said:

Dang, I miss that GitHub design.

Imagine how many people would be furious if they delayed the layout change and instead implemented IPv6

Absolutely no one

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • kaitkait Member

@raindog308 said: I think warrant canaries are legal BS and don't work.

I would argue that they can "work" but are still just a trust me bro type of thing.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • you can see 'em when you're driving, you just run them over, that's what you do

@sillycat said:
    Absolutely hilarious to see the Cloudflare CEO replying in the thread. He has the time to post a reply but not to send an email to his staff to update the blog post.

gem

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • I always assumed it was compromised since day one. Its a perfect thing for feds, they now own 90% of web traffic(plaintext, cf is a mitm proxy).

I advocate for usage of alternatives to Cloudflare.

• edited August 2023

@naphtha said:
    you can see 'em when you're driving, you just run them over, that's what you do

@sillycat said:
    Absolutely hilarious to see the Cloudflare CEO replying in the thread. He has the time to post a reply but not to send an email to his staff to update the blog post.

gem

For anyone confused as to what this user is posting, he's referencing Terry Davis' statement "the CIA niggers glow in the dark; you can see them if you’re driving. You just run them over." The alt-right refer to the feds as "glowniggers".

• PhisherPhisher Member
    edited August 2023

@MallocVoidstar said: Terry Davis

He was a legend. May he rest in peace.

@MallocVoidstar said: statement "the CIA niggers glow in the dark; you can see them if you’re driving. You just run them over." The alt-right refer to the feds as "glowniggers".

This man was schizophrenic you absolute idiot. It has nothing to do with politics and whatnot.
    He has achieved more than you could ever dream off.

Your profile picture speaks it all, you spend too much time on Twitter.

Thanked by 1naphtha
  • edited August 2023

I didn't say Terry Davis was alt-right, I said the alt-right uses that term, which is true.

edit: My profile picture predates me ever using Twitter, it's the ancient profile picture I used when I posted on Calguns in... around 2008 or so?

• PhisherPhisher Member
    edited August 2023

@MallocVoidstar said:
    I didn't say Terry Davis was alt-right, I said the alt-right uses that term, which is true.

This is insane. Anyone can speak any words they want, and you cannot associate fucking terms to political sides.
    Western world is doomed.

• @Phisher said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

This is insane. Anyone can speak any words they want, and you cannot associate fucking terms to political sides.

Know a lot of leftists who call the feds "glowniggers", do you? I've literally never seen someone who wasn't fascist-adjacent use that term.

• @MallocVoidstar said: Know a lot of leftists who call the feds "glowniggers", do you?

I do not talk to constantly offended people often, sorry.

@MallocVoidstar said: I've literally never seen someone who wasn't fascist-adjacent use that term.

You have no idea who a fascist is. Western world has never experienced fascism, nazism or communism. Maybe we should make it like with "nigger", only people who were affected can use it?

Thanked by 1naphtha
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited August 2023

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

This is why I never understood why, outside of pure convenience and zero regard to privacy, anyone recommends CF. That's exactly what it is. Centralized and unfortunately, ubiquitous. That's a space in desperate need of competition but from what I've heard, CF's competition doesn't tend to make it very far...

Thanked by 1Phisher
  • @Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

This is why I never understood why, outside of pure convenience and zero regard to privacy, anyone recommends CF. That's exactly what it is. Centralized and unfortunately, ubiquitous. That's a space in desperate need of competition but from what I've heard, CF's competition doesn't tend to make it very far...

There are hosts that will kick you off if you get DDOSed, but if the person DDOSing you is stupid (many are) then Cloudflare's free plan is enough to stop their attack from hitting your host.

• @Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

Cheer for people like @fatchan that actually try to innovate and want to make a product that is not a security or privacy risk to its users.

• @MallocVoidstar said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

There are hosts that will kick you off if you get DDOSed, but if the person DDOSing you is stupid (many are) then Cloudflare's free plan is enough to stop their attack from hitting your host.

Yeah but to get something, you have to GIVE something. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Thanked by 1Phisher
  • @Phisher said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

Cheer for people like @fatchan that actually try to innovate and want to make a product that is not a security or privacy risk to its users.

I remember seeing that posted here awhile back! Hopefully he's doing well. If he can get that up and running, I could see that being a huge success. I don't like CF and won't use CF, but being able to reap the benefits of a CF-like service with the benefit of not using CF would be of interest to me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@emgh said: However, capitalism does this. I’m not anti-capitalism, still, one has to admit, in many areas it makes small players have a very hard time trying to complete against the larger ones. Especially on the internet. Economics of scale is a very real thing and that’s why Cloudflare can offer crazy good services for a very resonable price (often free)

Then you would hate communism even more as they have literally one company for one kind of service. For example phone company, tourism company (sometimes with subdivisions for internal tourists and external ones as the external ones are bringing in hard currency and they are treated differently from locals), internet company, broadcaster so on and so forth.

The view in communism is to make a basic service accessible to as many people as possible while employing as many people as possible. In Romania waiting times for installing a phone line were measured in years, sometimes decades and even so there were two or more subscribers on the same line in the idea they won't be talking all same time. Overselling has been invented in communism due to scarcity of resources and investment, not because of greed and profit, though.

In Romania it was even worse as there were some weirdly merged companies. For example, the so called PTTR (Post, Telephone, Telegraph, Radio) all-in-one-wonder-pro, one building in every bigger village or more in big cities to house the public phones, the post office, the telegraph and the radio which was used to send messages in places where wiring wasn't done yet. I am sure it would have been added the Internet now, if communism survived for long enough in Romania. One true communication company.

• @Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

Allow me to introduce Akamai as the sun and Cloudflare as the earth in this comparison.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@Maounique said: Then you would hate communism even more as they have literally one company for one kind of service

Obviously, did I say I was a communist?

All I said is that capitalism does benefit economics of scale, there's a reason a smaller player that beats CF and is free dosen't exist

Being able to admit one negative consequence dosen't make one love the opposite

Thanked by 2Otus9051 dahartigan
  • @Thundas said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@Phisher said:
    cf is a mitm proxy

Allow me to introduce Akamai as the sun and Cloudflare as the earth in this comparison.

Oh yeah. They've got a lock on the real $$$ market.

Thanked by 1sillycat