Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap US bandwidth for reverse proxies
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap US bandwidth for reverse proxies

I’m using Hetzner at both of their US locations for reverse proxies, 100% of my traffic is HLS live streaming rebroadcasting.

I got a Kubernetes cluster on each location to scale on peaks and load balance. I’m using their cloud instances with 20TB of traffic included. It’s been working great but I don’t want to have everything on a single provider.

I can’t find another provider that even comes closer to what Hetzner offers in bandwidth. I briefly looked at Ionos and their “unlimited bandwidth” but that’s often a bait and switch and they’re an 1&1 company.

If we’re talking cloud, is Hetzner as good as it gets? I run low powered instances, 2 vCPU, 4/8GB RAM. I’m ok with vps providers as well, I host other services with BuyVM for example and like their service but they also claim “unmetered bandwidth” and I don’t know how far that goes. I’d rather have more predictable terms.

Thanked by 1truweb

Comments

• I have a cheap server from rpiservers @DataIdeas-Josh and it has guaranteed 32TB bandwidth. Hard to beat at that price.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

We offer dedicated servers with unmetered dedicated bandwidth, from 1gbps to 40gbps per server. We don’t oversell, so you would be able to use it all. PM me your requirements, and I’d be happy to provide a customized quote that fits your needs.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Im sure @Francisco can supply some information as to the limits and terms.

Your concern is not unfounded unmetered is not unlimited and nothing is ever really unlimited. You are trying to edge cache right? Perhaps just use a CDN?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@wiggl3 said:
    I can’t find another provider that even comes closer to what Hetzner offers in bandwidth. I briefly looked at Ionos and their “unlimited bandwidth” but that’s often a bait and switch and they’re an 1&1 company.

Yes, that is 100% bait.
    I talked with an now ex IONOS employee, he said after a certain amount, a few TB's you will be contacted.

In general, every "unlimited bandwidth" is bait if you don't pay for the entire uplink.
    You can be lucky of course.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@wiggl3 said:
    I’m using Hetzner at both of their US locations for reverse proxies, 100% of my traffic is HLS live streaming rebroadcasting.

I got a Kubernetes cluster on each location to scale on peaks and load balance. I’m using their cloud instances with 20TB of traffic included. It’s been working great but I don’t want to have everything on a single provider.

If we’re talking cloud, is Hetzner as good as it gets? I run low powered instances, 2 vCPU, 4/8GB RAM. I’m ok with vps providers as well, I host other services with BuyVM for example and like their service but they also claim “unmetered bandwidth” and I don’t know how far that goes. I’d rather have more predictable terms.

We're a VPS provider but have affordable 20TB options with our NVMe VPS and our VDS lines.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Why not dedicated? You'll likely have more reliable sustained bandwidth performance. ReliableSite for example, there's some cheap servers, all come with gigabit unmetered up to 10g. There's other options too.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • wiggl3wiggl3 Member
    edited August 2023

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'll look into each one tomorrow, everyone else feel free to post if you have a provider to recommend.

@SplitIce said:
    Your concern is not unfounded unmetered is not unlimited and nothing is ever really unlimited. You are trying to edge cache right? Perhaps just use a CDN?

Yes I'm using Varnish to edge cache, I've looked into many CDNs but for live streaming specifically, bandwidth is very expensive and I don't need the level of premium bandwidth and low latency that they often offer.

@MikeA said:
    Why not dedicated? You'll likely have more reliable sustained bandwidth performance. ReliableSite for example, there's some cheap servers, all come with gigabit unmetered up to 10g. There's other options too.

I'm considering dedicated, but the higher cost usually puts high availability out of my budget. I feel better having multiple 1 Gbps VMs behind a load balancer instead of a single 10Gbps server. Though some of the dedicated providers posting here here look promising.

• musicalderpmusicalderp Member
    edited August 2023

Hey, I run a CDN for pretty much the same thing and have had luck with a large bundle deal with GSL as my tier2 transit provider. I can get you in touch with them if that's something you're interested in, feel free to pm me. They specialize in bulk transit and are quite affordable

Edited to say that they'll also sell you servers

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@wiggl3 How much bandwidth are you looking for, and do you have specific locations in mind?

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

We have true unmetered with our dedicated servers, tons of options starting at $39/mo.

https://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/

• emghemgh Member

@MrRadic said:
    We have true unmetered with our dedicated servers, tons of options starting at $39/mo.

True as in 24/7 blasting with no consequences?

If so, a steal for sure

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@emgh said:

@MrRadic said:

True as in 24/7 blasting with no consequences?

If so, a steal for sure

Correct.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @musicalderp said:
    Hey, I run a CDN for pretty much the same thing and have had luck with a large bundle deal with GSL as my tier2 transit provider. I can get you in touch with them if that's something you're interested in, feel free to pm me. They specialize in bulk transit and are quite affordable

Edited to say that they'll also sell you servers

GSL is fantastic, would 100% recommend going this route if you're able to.

• @qps said:
    @wiggl3 How much bandwidth are you looking for, and do you have specific locations in mind?

Premium provider, would definitely check them out for Ashburn (which is a fantastic US location if you want to reach everyone anyways)

Thanked by 1qps