Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpanel and DirectAdmin which is better for reseller webhosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpanel and DirectAdmin which is better for reseller webhosting?

I want a package for hosting my own emails mainly.

Which of these two is easier to manage?

Can they be managed to scripting or a REST API?

The website hosting is not so important as of now, but I may get to it later.

I've been doing most of my personal hosting manually, but I don't mind these systems if they can be easily scripted.

Comments

• if REST API is preferred, go with cpanel. you won't get them in direct admin.
    direct admin main selling point is that they're cheaper, feature-wise cpanel is better

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • i prefer directadmin.

cpanel now remove parked domain & add-on domain, it make confuse :(

Thanked by 2rchurch neverain
  • cPanel is more end-user friendly

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I'll go with CPanel more easier to use

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

It all depends. We personally like directadmin. Mostly because they're not screwing everyone around with price hikes.

Customers hate price hikes more than anything next to outages and providers disappearing.

Both are good options. We moved mostly everything to direct admin these days ourselves.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • When cPanel increased its pricing 2-3 years ago there was interest for DirectAdmin panel by users and web hosts. After 3 years period I still find users prefer cPanel over DirectAdmin. You can set up a test page, sign up with two providers, one cpanel and one directadmin, put up similar hosting plans and pricing, and let users choose cPanel or directadmin. You'll find people still and will prefer cPanel as its still industry standard.

In europe many developers will prefer Plesk and developers like me will prefer DirectAdmin for my own use, but if I'm reselling, then sure there is no choice than cPanel.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

cPanel is the preferred solution still. However, as a provider it comes with increased cost due to having to pay per account.

While DirectAdmin still is behind on some things they are improving. The benefit of reseller hosting on DirectAdmin is that you usually get unlimited accounts and overselling enabled so it is easier to churn a profit.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • LeviLevi Member

cPanel is better but way more pricier than directadmin.

• HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep

@rchurch Of course cPanel. They provide many features for web hosters!

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

It's a hard one. DA is kind of nice, but if your reselling, you will find it easier with cPanel.

• emghemgh Member

cPanel is way better. Used both a lot. DA dosen't come close.

Of course, price reflects that fact.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

As a provider we see a lot more demand for cPanel.

DirectAdmin, unfortunately, didn't yet make any significant traction outside of the LET world. But it takes time. They still have a lot to do.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • It seems you are comparing between cPanel and DirectAdmin, and you are choosing cPanel over DirectAdmin, but when it comes to comparing DirectAdmin and Plesk, you prefer Plesk.

Thanked by 1nick_
  • vingohostvingohost Member, Host Rep

cPanel has a lot higher demand. Most people are used to the cPanel interface and it's quite easier/more friendly. Directadmin could be good for personal usage but I wouldn't consider it for reselling.

• @hostcheap said:
    It seems you are comparing between cPanel and DirectAdmin, and you are choosing cPanel over DirectAdmin, but when it comes to comparing DirectAdmin and Plesk, you prefer Plesk.

I'd also prefer Plesk over cPanel, because it is much easier to use and still has all the features needed to get along very well.

• Plesk and cPanel are two popular control panels for managing web servers. Plesk is specifically designed for Linux servers, while cPanel is available for both Linux and Windows servers. Plesk is generally easier to use due to its more user-friendly interface and advanced features. cPanel has an older interface, but it has a wider range of features.

In the end, the choice between Plesk and cPanel depends on your personal preference. If you are looking for an easy-to-use control panel that still has all the features you need, Plesk is a better option. If you are looking for a control panel with more advanced features, cPanel is a better option.

• @hostcheap said:
    Plesk and cPanel are two popular control panels for managing web servers. Plesk is specifically designed for Linux servers, while cPanel is available for both Linux and Windows servers. Plesk is generally easier to use due to its more user-friendly interface and advanced features. cPanel has an older interface, but it has a wider range of features.

In the end, the choice between Plesk and cPanel depends on your personal preference. If you are looking for an easy-to-use control panel that still has all the features you need, Plesk is a better option. If you are looking for a control panel with more advanced features, cPanel is a better option.

cPanel is Linux only, while Plesk is Linux and Windows ... 😁

• HxxxHxxx Member

I think control panels like cPanel and DirectAdmin are very similar at this point. What really makes a reseller great is the support that provider gives and that it included standard software like cloudlinux/with cagefs, litespeed or nginx with apache (nginx as reverse proxy), a good email relay for outbound, etc.

• cPanel and Directadmin both are good

• webiwebi Member

It depends on howmuch penny you have ?

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I had a successful shared hosting business for many years using DirectAdmin. I always thought Cpanel was a bit confusing to use. It has a bunch of stuff nobody needs and thus causes confusion. DirectAdmin was a lot simpler to use but since its trying to catch up to Cpanel it also is becoming confusing to use. I don't like either of them now.

• @webi said:
    It depends on howmuch penny you have ?

This is quiet true. cPanel is offering more features and ease of use compared to DirectAdmin, but it is heavy on the pockets.

• personal view, if you use Directadmin icon grid, it seem more user-friendly than current cpanel theme

Thanked by 1nick_
  • @hostcheap said:
    It seems you are comparing between cPanel and DirectAdmin, and you are choosing cPanel over DirectAdmin, but when it comes to comparing DirectAdmin and Plesk, you prefer Plesk.

I'd also prefer Plesk over cPanel, because it is much easier to use and still has all the features needed to get along very well.

• @rchurch said:
    I want a package for hosting my own emails mainly.

Which of these two is easier to manage?

Can they be managed to scripting or a REST API?

The website hosting is not so important as of now, but I may get to it later.

I've been doing most of my personal hosting manually, but I don't mind these systems if they can be easily scripted.

cPanel is the most preferred solution, but not always the best.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

The main advantage of DirectAdmin is price, but cPanel offers more features. cPanel has many extra plugins to expand its abilities, while DirectAdmin has very few.
    So if you're going to use it for yourself and not for reselling, it's better to pay for cPanel or maybe even consider a control web panel (CWP).