Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone tried CosmicGuard DDoS Protection for Game Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

anyone tried CosmicGuard DDoS Protection for Game Server?

i hear about this CosmicGuard DDoS Protection but not sure if its any better or some what same like OVH Game or others

if you have any experience please tell me if a Game server can run with pings latency optimized having anycast . And how does it work? protection wise

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm tired of US DDoS Protection. Doesn't exist any ddos protection in Europe to be an alternative to Voxility? Combahton / Core-Backbone?

I really hope that CosmicGuard expands to Europe.

Any feedback of how they deal with Layer 3, 4 and L7 attacks? Is good?

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider
    Thanked by 1amsaal
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

We'll have it live soon in Kansas City.

Thanked by 2amsaal wdmg
  • We've had nothing but a good experience with GSK / CosmicGuard.

@sandoz said:
    I'm tired of US DDoS Protection. Doesn't exist any ddos protection in Europe to be an alternative to Voxility? Combahton / Core-Backbone?

We've got the London DRT metro (Incl LD8) fully covered with CosmicGuard, also fully covered out from THN / LHC or DDCL direct from CosmicGuard.

They're also in Amsterdam connected up to NIKHEF

Thanked by 2amsaal wdmg
  • @Hypere said:
    We've had nothing but a good experience with GSK / CosmicGuard.

@sandoz said:
    I'm tired of US DDoS Protection. Doesn't exist any ddos protection in Europe to be an alternative to Voxility? Combahton / Core-Backbone?

We've got the London DRT metro (Incl LD8) fully covered with CosmicGuard, also fully covered out from THN / LHC or DDCL direct from CosmicGuard.

Hello ,

I had some ping issues earlier , And recently it has improved but not alot still 200ms for Dubai(UAE) . I really hope this can be fix but my question was actually if Game Server does work well for users with anycast ping low latency just like PATH.net has now with their protection.

• HypereHypere Member
    edited August 2023

@amsaal said:

@Hypere said:

@sandoz said:

Hello ,

I had some ping issues earlier , And recently it has improved but not alot still 200ms for Dubai(UAE) . I really hope this can be fix but my question was actually if Game Server does work well for users with anycast ping low latency just like PATH.net has now with their protection.

We've reduced ping to du and Etisalat to around 140ms - It's just a case of us needing to get cosmic to adjust routing.

Game servers show the ping to the nearest PoP - the exact same as path

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited August 2023

If you're in the UAE, you can find much better links to Europe (< 90ms)if you tunnel over AWS Bahrain. It's too bad that for what seem to be purely political reasons, du and Etisalat both take much less efficient routes to Europe.

• @ehhthing said:
    If you're in the UAE, you can find much better links to Europe (< 90ms)if you tunnel over AWS Bahrain. It's too bad that for what seem to be purely political reasons, du and Etisalat both take much less efficient routes to Europe.

that is exactly my case here what your pointing but i am very patient to provide my ISP with MTR reports to them on different ocasions and some times ping is okay some times is not . Etisalat does have slight better routing to Europe where as Du is also trying if the customer is willing to share the MTR reports so their technical team does give call back and they put in their notes about it.

• @Hypere said:

@amsaal said:

@Hypere said:

@sandoz said:

Hello ,

We've reduced ping to du and Etisalat to around 140ms - It's just a case of us needing to get cosmic to adjust routing.

Game servers show the ping to the nearest PoP - the exact same as path

Alright. So in coming days i will order the same plan and will do Game Server Only .

• @amsaal said:

@ehhthing said:

that is exactly my case here what your pointing but i am very patient to provide my ISP with MTR reports to them on different ocasions and some times ping is okay some times is not . Etisalat does have slight better routing to Europe where as Du is also trying if the customer is willing to share the MTR reports so their technical team does give call back and they put in their notes about it.

From my experience most of the MTRs end up going directly from the UAE to landing in France or Germany, I think Etisalat and du just don't route over the one submarine cable that connects the UAE with Europe, and I don't think their network engineering departments will be very helpful in convincing them to use the quicker cable.

I would seriously consider getting a VPS in AWS's Bahrain location if you want better routing to Europe and running Wireguard to it.

• Jack_SBEJack_SBE Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@sandoz said:

CosmicGuard has been great for our game servers.

They have a Amsterdam and UK pop that they can offer remote protection in. We've been using them as our primary upstream for the past 11 ish months now with no major issues.

Avg ms has dropped significantly in the UK recently with new peering and transit capacity being added to better suite regional isp's too!

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @Jack_SBE said:

@sandoz said:

CosmicGuard has been great for our game servers.

They have a Amsterdam and UK pop that they can offer remote protection in. We've been using them as our primary upstream for the past 11 ish months now with no major issues.

Avg ms has dropped significantly in the UK recently with new peering and transit capacity being added to better suite regional isp's too!

What about Layer 7 protection and Layer 3/4? Size of attacks did you received?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR
    edited August 2023

CosmicGuard has been fantastic. They're incredibly reliable and always get the task done. The team is very transparent, there's virtually zero issues we've experienced. The clients I work with are very happy with Cosmic as well, singing their praises for how well it just works, even out of the box with no configuration it tanks attacks really fast.

@sandoz said: What about Layer 7 protection and Layer 3/4? Size of attacks did you received?

Not the quoted, but I've seen Cosmic tank well over 900Gbit/sec attacks without skipping a beat.

It's worth noting that Cosmic has a nice API for applying filters manually as well, but more often than not the out of the box ("it just works") filtering handles it very cleanly.

• @sandoz said:

We're already in Europe. :)

In Amsterdam and London.

Thanked by 2MannDude wdmg
  • @cosmicglobal said:

@sandoz said:

In Amsterdam and London.

That means that we can choose the location if we want to do GRE Tunnel or announce in our ASN?

How many size you can handle?
    Which is your layer 7 protection? It is reliable in websites?
    The total of capacity of your network with attacks?
    Filtering?
    Control panel where we can watch graphs? Apply filtering?

Which is the last attack you mitigated and their size?

I read your website but there are some lack of information about ddos protection.

• "How many size you can handle?" Undisclosed, but a lot, as can be seen by comments of some of our customers.
    "Which is your layer 7 protection? It is reliable in websites?"
    Yessir. Layer 7 for games and websites.

"The total of capacity of your network with attacks?" Same answer as question 1
    "Filtering?" ? What's the question?
    "Control panel where we can watch graphs? Apply filtering?" Yes - for graphs - filtering changes via api
    "Which is the last attack you mitigated and their size?" Last attack was 8 seconds ago, at 115gbps

• @cosmicglobal said:
    "How many size you can handle?" Undisclosed, but a lot, as can be seen by comments of some of our customers.
    "Which is your layer 7 protection? It is reliable in websites?"
    Yessir. Layer 7 for games and websites.

"The total of capacity of your network with attacks?" Same answer as question 1
    "Filtering?" ? What's the question?
    "Control panel where we can watch graphs? Apply filtering?" Yes - for graphs - filtering changes via api
    "Which is the last attack you mitigated and their size?" Last attack was 8 seconds ago, at 115gbps

We’ve had attacks of over 2tbps filtered with no issues :)

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@sandoz said: Control panel where we can watch graphs? Apply filtering?

There's a nice control panel you can get a 24-hour overview down to 15-minute overview. In terms of applying filters, it's over the API as far as I'm aware.

• "That means that we can choose the location if we want to do GRE Tunnel or announce in our ASN?" traffic automatically uses our nearest location by means of anycast routing.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@cosmicglobal said:

@sandoz said:

In Amsterdam and London.

Welcome to LET!

• Verified as a CosmicGuard representative.

Enjoy it here!

edited August 2023

I think there's a very funny correlation between Minecraft and anti-ddos services.

I've always found it interesting how Minecraft seems to attract more skids than any other game.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

• @ehhthing said:
    I think there's a very funny correlation between Minecraft and anti-ddos services.

I've always found it interesting how Minecraft seems to attract more skids than any other game.

ProxyPipe, which is mentioned in that article, is whats known today as Cosmicguard.

Can definitely attest to Minecraft attracting a lot of ddos.

Thanked by 1wdmg
    edited August 2023

@cosmicglobal said:

@ehhthing said:

ProxyPipe, which is mentioned in that article, is whats known today as Cosmicguard.

Can definitely attest to Minecraft attracting a lot of ddos.

Damn and here I was thinking ProxyPipe became TCPShield. Guess it was a 50/50 guess ;)

• @ehhthing said:

The same also applies to Path.net: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/09/ddos-mitigation-firm-has-history-of-hijacks/

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • Once upon a time, someone gained access to league of legends database and put every users ip address next their name on a website.

People were ddosing others to get better placements in ranked.

• Are there any list of providers with cosmicguard?

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Thanks. Not all of them are findable by google though xD

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • kaitkait Member

@stefeman said: Thanks. Not all of them are findable by google though xD

https://bgp.tools/as/30456#downstreams You can find some here as well.

Thanked by 1stefeman