Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Storage VPS with Normal Performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Storage VPS with Normal Performance

Hello,

I am currently using a storage VPS however the performance of that VPS is abysmal. Due to some reasons, I have use to Windows 10 pro on it (BYOL) however its really unusable in terms of CPU and storage performance.

I know storage VPS is not meant to give you performance but still, I want something that I can at least use without experiencing extreme lag in accessing files or browsing the internet. I am currently paying $20/month with 2 vCores, 10 GB RAM and 60 GB SSD and 4 TB HDD.

Looking for something similar or better specs in the same budget. Location US/CA.

Thank you.

Comments

• storage vps for windows use?

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @cybertech said:
    storage vps for windows use?

Yes. I am weird like that :D

• edited July 2023

SoYouStart Dedicated? Intel Xeon D-1520 and 4x2TB for 23 EUR.

If it needs to be VPS @servarica_hani has these: https://servarica.com/all-offers/

Grab the Salamander Hybrid and add more RAM or just go for the Mammoth.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • instead of windows, why not linux with desktop ?
    I think Windows 10 will only use up a lot of CPU resources, which makes it feel laggy, especially when it's used for browsing and lots of download activities to the server

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited July 2023

@shajeeafzal said:

@cybertech said:
    storage vps for windows use?

Yes. I am weird like that :D

Windows 10 (non-server) generally doesn't behave well virtualized with dual cpu enterprise hardware. Even if it does, a nearly-idle Windows hogs a lot of CPU resources to do nothing. We don't even allow Windows ISOs on storage products for that reason (not meant for that).

Depending on the load of the hypervisor, 2 vCPU (non-dedicated) is likely too light to handle Windows.

You could look at taking a smaller, more performant VM for Windows and then mounting a remote storage VPS for big storage access. Probably would come in at/under your existing budget, too.

We have these Xeon Scalable VDSes you're welcome to try, and we allow Windows on these since they're dedicated CPU resources. Pretty big SSD storage included, depending on how much of that 4TB you're actually using you might find it to be enough.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2023

BLOCK STORAGE VPS:

Intel E5-series CPUs
    Up to 8 vCPUs
    Up to 16GB Dedicated RAM
    Up to 100GB NVME SSD Disk
    Up to 10TB SAS HDD Disk
    Up to 20TB/Month Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Network Port
    IPv4/IPv6 Address
    Starting at only $2.95/month
    https://www.smarthost.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=373&ims=block

~ SMARTHOST

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited July 2023

@shajeeafzal said:
    Hello,

I am currently using a storage VPS however the performance of that VPS is abysmal. Due to some reasons, I have use to Windows 10 pro on it (BYOL) however its really unusable in terms of CPU and storage performance.

I know storage VPS is not meant to give you performance but still, I want something that I can at least use without experiencing extreme lag in accessing files or browsing the internet. I am currently paying $20/month with 2 vCores, 10 GB RAM and 60 GB SSD and 4 TB HDD.

Looking for something similar or better specs in the same budget. Location US/CA.

Thank you.

I am using Windows Server on a storage server.
    Excellent performance as well.

Cost is just $70 per year
    Ryzen 7950XD cores make the big difference.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187696/hostbrr-premium-storage-promo-7950xd-w-block-storage-only-7-budget-storage-from-2-8-tb

cc - @labze

• Use a provider with private network and mount the storage VPS over iscsi to a separate normal (ssd) VPS

• @dev_vps said:

@shajeeafzal said:
    Hello,

Thank you.

I am using Windows Server on a storage server.
    Excellent performance as well.

Cost is just $70 per year
    Ryzen 7950XD cores make the big difference.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187696/hostbrr-premium-storage-promo-7950xd-w-block-storage-only-7-budget-storage-from-2-8-tb

cc - @labze

not is LA

• Talk to their support, they'll probably help you and give you a nice discount. They also have a lot of cheap servers and give massive discounts on some of the locations.

• If you sign up using my refferal link you'll get a 15% bonus to top up the balance.

https://aeza.net/?ref=389261