Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those with gigabit fibre to their home/office premises what are the benefits of hosting providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Those with gigabit fibre to their home/office premises what are the benefits of hosting providers?

k9banger02k9banger02 Member
edited July 2023 in General

This is a question for LET users who have gigabit+ or other high speed internet to their home or office premises.

When you are confident that you have good physical security, good network security against hackers, DDoS etc and good power supply what are extra benefits do ISP hotels offer you, such as hardware on demand and higher bandwidth, and how have these benefits turned out in practice?

I understand that in countries like Singapore, Sweden and Korea such connections are easily available and how have non-corporate/small hosters who may come to LET for some minor services generally found them?

PS. This question is not about people wanting to use the home connections to provide VPS services, but whether having such high speed connections coupled with cheap hardware makes ISP hosting worthwhile for many services. It also targeted at those who have such high-speed services at home, not for quips about wanting to do things on the cheap.

Powerful used hardware is available on Ebay at low prices, so why should you use multiple VPS from an ISP when you have a dedicated server whose purchase price is much less than the monthly price at a hosting provider?

I know many businesses who run their Exchange Servers and Microsoft Small Business Servers on 30Mbit office DSL lines and are fine with it.

Comments

• hostwebishostwebis Member, Host Rep

I don't know if any of the LET users have power, connection, ac, earthquake, bomb redundancy, insurance, or certification...

• @hostwebis said:
    I don't know if any of the LET users have power, connection, ac, earthquake, bomb redundancy, insurance, or certification...

Yes but do their services require such levels of reliability?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@hostwebis said:

@FlorinMarian certainly has these.
    Bro is selling VPS out of his basement.

• power: solar generator
    • connection: three ISP lines
    • AC: one AC and several fans
    • earthquake: YOLO
    • bomb: two very scary dogs deter anyone who try to set a bomb
    • insurance: renter's
    • certification: bro studied IT in college
  • PixelsPixels Member

In my case it's about reliability and better network performance/routing.

• Honestly I do very little on VPS’s, I currently have 2 VPS’s 1 from Spaceberg cuz it’s a stupidly good deal and I use it as a proxy into my home network for external services, and one from iFog which I use as a BGP Gateway.

• HyperOPHyperOP Member
    edited July 2023

They have several separate inward ISP connections coming in i.e Cable, and fiber from different separate providers on different backbones, also 5G failover.

I think this must be the biggest advantage.

• edited July 2023

Well we are talking about LET, so cost is a big one.

For $15/year you could get a decent VPS plan with electricity included or you could run a 10W machine for a year (at around 15c/kWh), depending where you live. I've gotten some pretty beefy Ryzen machines for $15/year.

• @Pixels and @Stetsed Do you have gigabit internet at home or your offices?

• PixelsPixels Member

@k9banger02 said:
    @Pixels and @Stetsed Do you have gigabit internet at home or your offices?

Yes, I do. Unmetered symmetrical FTTH :smiley:

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • @k9banger02 said:
    @Pixels and @Stetsed Do you have gigabit internet at home or your offices?

Yes I do, including a /48 v6 prefix and static v4 over fiber. I do plan today start routing v6 over my own IP’s soon due to my recent ASN and v6 prefix acquisition but that’s planned SoonTM

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • ISPs often have terms of service that prohibit running servers on residential connections and such usage is easily detected so that's not a practical idea. Such a user will be flagged, throttled and quickly terminated.

If a user want to legally host a service with an ISP the price will be quiet different.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2023

@farsighter said: ISPs often have terms of service that prohibit running servers on residential connections and such usage is easily detected so that's not a practical idea. Such a user will be flagged, throttled and quickly terminated.

That's a boring ISP and a boring life if you get scared by b/s terms like this. Firstly, nobody actually cares, unless you saturate your bandwidth 24/7. These TOS clauses are just a scarecrow to nudge obedient people into buying business connections. Secondly, get a tiny unmetered VPS, set up WireGuard with port forwarding, and tunnel all your services through that. Possibly getting the added bonus of some DDoS protection from the VPS DC as well.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@rm_ said:

@farsighter said: ISPs often have terms of service that prohibit running servers on residential connections and such usage is easily detected so that's not a practical idea. Such a user will be flagged, throttled and quickly terminated.

That's a boring ISP and a boring life if you get scared by b/s terms like this. Firstly, nobody actually cares, unless you saturate your bandwidth 24/7. These TOS clauses are just a scarecrow to nudge obedient people into buying business connections. Secondly, get a tiny unmetered VPS, set up WireGuard with port forwarding, and tunnel all your services through that. Possibly getting the added bonus of some DDoS protection from the VPS DC as well.

I don’t even think it’s meant to scare any people

It’s meant to serve as a reason for companies to not just sign a personal contract on the CEO for a 10th of the price, not really to scare your average hobbyist away from hosting a forum

• edited July 2023

@rm_ said:
    unless you saturate your bandwidth 24/7.

Even then some ISPs do not care, maybe due to an abundance of capacity. Here's one machine at my home residential network. 1Gbps symmetric fiber for about $50 USD/mo.

enp6s0 / monthly month rx | tx | total | avg. rate ------------------------+-------------+-------------+--------------- 2022-08 1.67 TiB | 67.50 TiB | 69.16 TiB | 227.14 Mbit/s 2022-09 1.30 TiB | 69.43 TiB | 70.73 TiB | 240.03 Mbit/s 2022-10 1.44 TiB | 69.47 TiB | 70.91 TiB | 232.88 Mbit/s 2022-11 1.36 TiB | 72.16 TiB | 73.53 TiB | 249.51 Mbit/s 2022-12 1.22 TiB | 64.37 TiB | 65.59 TiB | 215.40 Mbit/s 2023-01 2.99 TiB | 107.38 TiB | 110.37 TiB | 362.46 Mbit/s 2023-02 2.72 TiB | 98.73 TiB | 101.45 TiB | 368.87 Mbit/s 2023-03 1.89 TiB | 64.45 TiB | 66.34 TiB | 217.86 Mbit/s 2023-04 5.24 TiB | 177.84 TiB | 183.08 TiB | 621.29 Mbit/s 2023-05 6.66 TiB | 194.62 TiB | 201.28 TiB | 661.03 Mbit/s 2023-06 5.68 TiB | 203.68 TiB | 209.36 TiB | 710.46 Mbit/s 2023-07 5.20 TiB | 177.27 TiB | 182.47 TiB | 645.91 Mbit/s ------------------------+-------------+-------------+--------------- estimated 5.60 TiB | 191.07 TiB | 196.68 TiB |
    Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@hostwebis said:

Seeing some of the prices on here I feel like some or a lot of companies don't have a lot of those features

Thanked by 2Calin hostwebis
  • Power costs too much to have a computer on at home 24/7 - moved my stuff to a dedi just because it was cheaper on the power alone never mind network/hardware costs etc