Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will a BuyShared webhosting account enable me to transfer email hosted elsewhere to it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will a BuyShared webhosting account enable me to transfer email hosted elsewhere to it?

I have some email accounts hosted with a long established service provider whose charges are way too much for what I use it for, by that I mean Dreamhost. The charge for the Happy Hosting account is about $14 a month and they also transferred my data to DreamObjects and charged me silly amounts for it, just because I've been too busy with other things.

Only one of my domains is registered with them, the rest are with other registrars whose MX settings are pointed to Dreamhost mail servers.

I think a BuyShared account will serve me well if I can transfer my mailboxes and set the MX records to the BuyShared account.

Will the Cpanel system allow me to transfer the mailboxes over and get stuff going smoothly?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you can generate a cPanel backup then we can restore it on our end.

Francisco

• DreamHost doesn't use cpanel so it'd be difficult to generate a backup in that format. How many mailboxes do you have? If you don't have too many, you can always try imapsync.

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • @Francisco said:
    If you can generate a cPanel backup then we can restore it on our end.

Francisco

I did an export of the user accounts and they contain Maildir directories which have these directory structures.

drwx------ 9 backups backups 4096 Oct 17  2021 ./
    drwx--x--- 4 backups backups 4096 Oct  8  2022 ../
    drwx------ 5 backups backups 4096 Aug 26  2011 .Drafts/
    drwx------ 5 backups backups 4096 Aug 26  2011 .Sent/
    drwx------ 5 backups backups 4096 Dec 16  2011 .Trash/
    drwx------ 5 backups backups 4096 Mar  3  2011 .old-messages/
    drwx------ 2 backups backups 4096 Jan 30  2012 cur/
    -rw------- 1 backups backups  449 Dec 16  2011 dovecot-uidlist
    -rw------- 1 backups backups    8 Aug 26  2011 dovecot-uidvalidity
    -rw------- 1 backups backups    0 Aug 26  2011 dovecot-uidvalidity.4e57b39e
    -rw------- 1 backups backups   22 Oct 17  2021 maildirsize
    drwx------ 2 backups backups 4096 Dec 26  2013 new/
    -rw------- 1 backups backups   18 Aug 26  2011 subscriptions
    drwx------ 2 backups backups 4096 Dec 26  2013 tmp/

Can the contents of this directory structure be converted to the required Cpanel format?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@k9banger02 said: Can the contents of this directory structure be converted to the required Cpanel format?

You'd be better off using something like imapsync and just copy each mailbox over. It works very well, I've done some big sync jobs with it in the past.

Francisco

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: You'd be better off using something like imapsync and just copy each mailbox over. It works very well, I've done some big sync jobs with it in the past.

Exactly this @k9banger02 -- IMAPSYNC is the way to go. If you need assistance, reach out.

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • @Francisco said:

@k9banger02 said: Can the contents of this directory structure be converted to the required Cpanel format?

You'd be better off using something like imapsync and just copy each mailbox over. It works very well, I've done some big sync jobs with it in the past.

Francisco

If MX records have not fully propagated during the sync and some new email goes to the old mailbox will running imapsync again avoid duplicating the records existing on the target?

This is my main concern.

• You can also migrate the mails in Outlook by export/import, or add both the old and new account and drag the mails over.
    You could also use https://omm.ovh.net/ if you are not too worried about privacy.

• ShamliShamli Member

If im not wrong,there is an option to not delete file on destination server.

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@k9banger02 said: will running imapsync again avoid duplicating the records existing on the target?

It will avoid that.

Thanked by 1k9banger02