Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I install debian 12 properly with debian-installer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I install debian 12 properly with debian-installer?

tommmytommmy Member

Hi!

I have been trying to install Debian 12 on my server for the past few days.

I want to have software Raid 0 on my server with 2x1TB disk.
I have been successfully installed it by making Raid 0, then splitting it into 2 partition for / and swap. But in fdisk -l, I got error like

partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

I have been Googling but still can't understand how can I do it properly at install time.

So I checked my Raid 0 Hetzner server. Hetzner do it differently. It splits every drive, then combine them with Raid 0.

/dev/sda
  |_ /dev/sda1    /
  |_ /dev/sda2    swap

/dev/sdb
  |_ /dev/sdb1    /
  |_ /dev/sdb2    swap

It then do Raid 0 on sda1 and sdb1 for / which should assign them with /dev/md0, then do the same for swap by doing Raid 0 on sda2 and sdb2 which will assign them with /dev/md1.

I did that, but the server won't boot. It just says something like Attempting to boot from Drive C: and stays like that forever.

So my questions are:
* How do I properly do Raid 0 in the installer?
* How do I properly make separate /boot partition? Hetzner make RAID 1 for /boot. But I cannot make GRUB choose that partition.
* GRUB seems want to install only on a drive. I can only choose first or second drive. Tried putting /dev/md2 which is a /boot partition I created with EXT4 type, but GRUB failed to install. How do I install GRUB properly in the installer?

Notes:
* I access the server via ilo4
* Server comes with 2x1TB HDD
* I use Graphic Install

Thank you.

Comments

• Sorry but friends don't let friends RAID 0 /s

• kasodkkasodk Barred

1) Boot in rescue mode and use installimage to install Debian 11 with raid 0.
    2) Upgrade Debian 11 to Debian 12.

There are plenty of how-to guides on Google that describe both steps.

• tommmytommmy Member

@kasodk said:
    1) Boot in rescue mode and use installimage to install Debian 11 with raid 0.
    2) Upgrade Debian 11 to Debian 12.

There are plenty of how-to guides on Google that describe both steps.

Oh sorry if my post is not clear enough. I am not trying to install on Hetzner. I only have ilo4 access to install the server. I was using Hetzner to check how they did it on their server with installimage as reference.

So my only choice is to install with debian installer.

• tommmytommmy Member

@twotbbarracuda said:
    Sorry but friends don't let friends RAID 0 /s

Don't worry, no important data will be stored on this server. I don't mind losing them anytime😁

• @tommmy said:
    Hi!

I have been trying to install Debian 12 on my server for the past few days.

I want to have software Raid 0 on my server with 2x1TB disk.
    I have been successfully installed it by making Raid 0, then splitting it into 2 partition for / and swap. But in fdisk -l, I got error like

partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

I have been Googling but still can't understand how can I do it properly at install time.

So I checked my Raid 0 Hetzner server. Hetzner do it differently. It splits every drive, then combine them with Raid 0.

/dev/sda
      |_ /dev/sda1    /
      |_ /dev/sda2    swap

/dev/sdb
      |_ /dev/sdb1    /
      |_ /dev/sdb2    swap

It then do Raid 0 on sda1 and sdb1 for / which should assign them with /dev/md0, then do the same for swap by doing Raid 0 on sda2 and sdb2 which will assign them with /dev/md1.

I did that, but the server won't boot. It just says something like Attempting to boot from Drive C: and stays like that forever.

So my questions are:
    * How do I properly do Raid 0 in the installer?
    * How do I properly make separate /boot partition? Hetzner make RAID 1 for /boot. But I cannot make GRUB choose that partition.
    * GRUB seems want to install only on a drive. I can only choose first or second drive. Tried putting /dev/md2 which is a /boot partition I created with EXT4 type, but GRUB failed to install. How do I install GRUB properly in the installer?

Notes:
    * I access the server via ilo4
    * Server comes with 2x1TB HDD
    * I use Graphic Install

Thank you.

Your server is HP/HPE branded because of iLO interface.
    Do you have HP SmartArray controller? If yes, just create RAID 0 array and start Linux installer...

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Its usually easier to use the HW raid to create the raid you want. If you dont have one you can create a soft-raid during the debian install phase. Are you using HW or soft raid? The debian softraid menus are kinda a pain to setup at install vs alamalinux. Alma is easier.