Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Highest Possible Single Core Performance VPS with 1x dedicated core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] Highest Possible Single Core Performance VPS with 1x dedicated core

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited July 2023 in Requests

TF2 recently unlocked the player count up to 100 instead of 32, however, I am disappointed and my day is ruined.
The Server lagged like the hell was about to come down.

So, hence I ask here, for something, that might, be able, to run that.
Please gimme the highest possible single core performance VPS you can offer.

According to cpubenchmark.net its around 4000, however lower would be still worth a try.
Thanks guys.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy

Comments

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited July 2023

Even the highest single-threaded performance dedicated server, much less a VPS with virtualization layer overhead, will not be enough to handle a single-threaded game engine that is not designed for more than 32 players. Not to mention, you still have to contend with hovering very close to the 2048 edict limit, so you will get crashes no matter what.

If you still want to carry forward and host this in a serious manner (i.e. not as a one-off temporary joke), this Hetzner would give you the best single-threaded performance on the market for the least amount of money: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex101

I still doubt that even that server will get you a reasonably lag-free 100P TF2 server, and I seriously doubt any VPS (especially ones advertised here on LET) will do the same either. You also ought to keep in mind that SRCDS uses about 8-12 threads for networking, Sourcemod database I/O, and also have the operating system running in the background to contend with, so you will want more than 1 vCPU anyway so that the main SRCDS thread isn't fighting with all the other threads for that one CPU core.

Good luck!

• StetsedStetsed Member
    edited July 2023

So you would probally want to look at offers that have either a 7950X or a 7950X3D. The second one you will find alot as people are reselling hetzner boxes. Hosts like hostbrr use those. The 7950X has a bit of a higher single core score and for those you could look at for example at Atomic who offers 7950X.

However this is looking at raw CPU scores, adding virt overhead and stuff like that you would have to go to the threads of these hosts to see there actual YABS scores.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Stetsed said:
    However this is looking at raw CPU scores, adding virt overhead and stuff like that you would have to go to the threads of these hosts to see there actual YABS scores.

The virt overhead isn't that much anymore.
    However, you can measure it yes.

Probably going to disable any mitigations and run a custom kernel anyway.

@PineappleM said:
    If you still want to carry forward and host this in a serious manner (i.e. not as a one-off temporary joke), this Hetzner would give you the best single-threaded performance on the market for the least amount of money: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex101

Well, I don't even know if the software is able, given you provide it a good enough CPU to handle 100 players. So until then, its a Joke.

I am probably not going for a dedi until then.

• If your home CPU is respectable enough (min 4.5 GHz), you have at least 100 mbps up, and you have a Discord or some place that can draw 100 players, you could try hosting SRCDS on your main PC and measure the CPU usage and other metrics to get a better idea on what resources are needed to run 100P TF2. If you don't want to open ports or expose your home IP, add -enablefakeip to the SRCDS command line to use SDR. I don't know how sensible this is in your specific situation, but am suggesting it anyway in case you or someone you know has decent hardware and is capable of doing a test trial.

Still, be mindful of the 2048 edict limit so temper your expectations of a smooth experience either way. Do share your findings as you continue your search as I'm very interested in knowing what ultimately ended up working for you.

@Shakib pinging you since you specialize in VPSes with i9-11900k with sensible prices, but your site says everything is out of stock. Any idea if you have anything that can give OP a dedicated core or two on a 11900k for a month at a reasonable price?

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@PineappleM said: @Shakib pinging you since you specialize in VPSes with i9-11900k with sensible prices, but your site says everything is out of stock. Any idea if you have anything that can give OP a dedicated core or two on a 11900k for a month at a reasonable price?

Sure.

Thanked by 1Neoon
  • I never try on Dedicated CPU. But the highest single core that I know is in Ryzen 9 7950X3D

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Our Ryzen VPS pull around 2900-3000 on Geekbench 6 tests.
    https://allhost.io/ryzen-vps-hosting/

A recent test from a VPS on the server: https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2006288
    The server itself: https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/1973915

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

@Neoon said: So, hence I ask here, for something, that might, be able, to run that.
    Please gimme the highest possible single core performance VPS you can offer.

According to cpubenchmark.net its around 4000, however lower would be still worth a try.

At least you need something like Ryzen 5000 series or Intel 11900K.

PassMark PeformanceTest, sorted by CPU Single Threaded.

Geekbench 5, sorted by Single Core Score

Geekbench 6, sorted by Single Core Score

You know where to go for detailed benchmark.

@arachi004 said: I never try on Dedicated CPU. But the highest single core that I know is in Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Intel i9-13900K is higher than Ryzen 9 7950X/3D. But so far, only one provider who can offer Intel i9-13900K, but i'm not sure about their reliability [LigaHosting.ro]

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

We offer VPS with 7950XD CPU

1 vCore AMD Ryzen 9 7950XD
    2 GB DDR5 ECC RAM
    30 GB NVMe Gen4 Storage
    5000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 Gbps
    1 IPv4 & IPv6/64 included
    1 Backup slot included
    Hosted in Falkenstein, Germany
    $4.99 a month

• JabJabJabJab Member

Added -unrestricted_maxplayers to raise the maxplayer count to 100 (feature is unsupported and not recommended)
    :)

On top of everything was already listed there is also https://hostiko.com.ua/en/vps#waw-r9 Ryzen 9 7950X in Poland.

edited July 2023

It does seem to handle 80 bots well on a E5 with, nailing 92% usage.
    Anything higher seems to blow it.

This CPU has around 2k single core performance.

• +1 for VPS by @Shakib

Thanked by 1Shakib