Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having 2 IPv4 addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Having 2 IPv4 addresses

What could be a good use case of having two ipv4 attached to a small 1gb 1vCore VPS?

Thanks so much

Comments

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Can not think of any. Most of my servers are behind nat. You can return it to the ISP so they can give a VPS to another person :)

• Maybe tunnel one of them to a Kimsufi dedi that can only have one ipv4, I don't know if that would work but I have been considering trying this in order to run proxmox without NAT on a Kimsufi. Probably not very useful but potentially fun if you are into this kind of thing.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • vpsvpsvpsvps Member

For SEO its a plus when you have backlinks from uniques/different IPs.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited July 2023

In case you need to setup your own custom nameservers, each one can point to one individual IP (some Registrar's demand different Ips when setting up custom nameservers).

• use one ip for public/production, and the other for management / development / playing around. make sure to setup firewall properly

• So a use case I definetley see as @ScreenReader mentioned is having dual IP’s one for public acces and one for management. And then usually that management port wouldn’t even be publicly exposed but would only be accessible via a secure bastion host which then lets you connect to the second IP over a non-exposed LAN.

• @Stetsed said:
    So a use case I definetley see as @ScreenReader mentioned is having dual IP’s one for public acces and one for management. And then usually that management port wouldn’t even be publicly exposed but would only be accessible via a secure bastion host which then lets you connect to the second IP over a non-exposed LAN.

Although it's probably not worth using a second ip for this as you could just use wireguard or tailscale instead

• emghemgh Member

@vpsvps said:
    For SEO its a plus when you have backlinks from uniques/different IPs.

This is wrong on so many levels

Thanked by 3sillycat Arkas MrRadic
  • You can tunnel 1 of the IPs elsewhere with pure wireguard. Less complicated approach than if you have only 1 IP

• ifreakifreak Member

What could be a good use case of having two ipv4 attached to a small 1gb 1vCore VPS?

The primary difference is the source address and how it's presented at remote hosts and visa versa. For applications that lack virtual hosts it gives the opportunity to use the same incoming port on both addresses. For remote applications that use IPv4 to do specifics one can orchestrate based on for example time to work around quotas. If you ask nicely sometimes providers can offer different routing based on the source address, eg to serve specific customers on X and Y. Ideas such as using containers with a specific IP to sandbox a role. It becomes really cool with Anycast, floating or different subnets.

• aliletalilet Member

I had a 1GB/1Core/50GB VPS from VirMach that came with two IPv4 and cost $1.3/year. Didn't have much use for it because I mostly host WordPress blogs and use CloudFlare so even 1 is enough.