Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Backup Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Backup Storage

Hello,

I am looking for backup storage for my computer. It has about 15TB of data in it and currently using IDrive to back it up. However, it's costing me around $100 annually. Is there any cheaper alternative to it? Anyone here can provide FTP or storage VPS well below $100/yr?

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello , check our deal if you like https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3690365

Regards

• @Calin said:
    Hello , check our deal if you like https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3690365

Regards

$120 for 9 TB is out of my budget.

• Generally 100/yr is a very good deal for 15TB worth of data, especially as to my knowledge iDrive doesn’t charge egress fees which you don’t want if your using this as a backup and then be f*cked when you need to restore.

• @Calin said:

Regards

OP asked for 15TB storage while the highest you offer in that post is 9TB.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

So you are looking for lower price than $0.55 per TB per month. This is not possible anywhere!

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@shajeeafzal this a personal computer or a server?
    If personal look into Backblaze

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @shajeeafzal this a personal computer or a server?
    If personal look into Backblaze

He’s complaining about being charged 0.55$ per TB, Backblaze charges roughly 9x this and also charges egress fees so I don’t think backblaze is an option for him.

This is assuming it is a server because 15TB of data on a PC seems a lot, if it is a personal computer then you could use Backblaze personal backup which is unlimited for $7 a month. Which is 84$ a year which is still close to what he’s getting from iDrive

• Correction: I am paying iDrive $99 annually for 10 TB of storage however over this year, my data has increased to around 13 TB so looking for 15 TB of storage now.

I will be backing up my personal computer - not a server. Most of the storage is used for video files.

and I am NOT complaining about iDrive or paying a few cents per TB - I know iDirve is good and it has served me. I was just wondering if there is a better option out there since I am due renewal with iDrive and it will exceed $100/yr if I want to backup all 13 TB of data.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@Stetsed said: Backblaze charges roughly 9x this and also charges egress fees so I don’t think backblaze is an option for him.

Are you confusing Backblaze B2 vs Backblaze Personal backup https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup/personal/pricing?

Thanked by 2emgh AXYZE
  • sixsix Member

@Stetsed said:

He’s complaining about being charged 0.55$ per TB, Backblaze charges roughly 9x this and also charges egress fees so I don’t think backblaze is an option for him.

Backblaze personal allows you to backup as much data as you need for $7/mo, with a 30 day retention. For $2-3 more (don't remember the exact price,) you can upgrade to yearly retention. It's unlikely you'd find any other backup as cheap as that.

Thanked by 2emgh sliix
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

I will be backing up my personal computer - not a server. Most of the storage is used for video files.

Backblaze Personal Backup. It's the cheapest and unlimited for just $7 a month.

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited July 2023

@shajeeafzal said:
    Correction: I am paying iDrive $99 annually for 10 TB of storage however over this year, my data has increased to around 13 TB so looking for 15 TB of storage now.

and I am NOT complaining about iDrive or paying a few cents per TB - I know iDirve is good and it has served me. I was just wondering if there is a better option out there since I am due renewal with iDrive and it will exceed $100/yr if I want to backup all 13 TB of data.

If personal I would look into BackBlaze.

You get a month free with the link.
    https://secure.backblaze.com/r/01hwsw (AFF)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Backblaze doesn't backup large media files if i recall correctly tho.

@PulsedMedia said:

What do you call "Large media files"?
    They backing up 60GB files easily.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@PulsedMedia said:

What do you call "Large media files"?
    They backing up 60GB files easily.

They used to have limits on filetypes and sizes before.
    I guess since they seem to be not retaining for as long as you pay for the service i guess they accept everything?

or maybe that retention is time after paid time ends? did not check new terms.

• ArakiAraki Member

@febryanvaldo said:

A thing to note about Backblaze is that they keep the files for 30 says or so if you left your PC offline or disconnected the hard drive and not paying extra. It's not the same as a traditional cloud storage solution.

• @Araki said: A thing to note about Backblaze is that they keep the files for 30 says or so if you left your PC offline or disconnected the hard drive and not paying extra. It's not the same as a traditional cloud storage solution.

Interesting. Never thought that.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@Araki said:

@febryanvaldo said:

A thing to note about Backblaze is that they keep the files for 30 says or so if you left your PC offline or disconnected the hard drive and not paying extra. It's not the same as a traditional cloud storage solution.

You have an option to extend that 30 days https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260804002669-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Personal-Online-Backup

Personal Backup is an active, evolving mirror of the current state of your computer and drives. By default, all Personal Backup accounts are set to 30-day version history, meaning that files that are deleted from your computer or disconnected drives are cycled off of our servers after 30 days from the last time they were present. We do, however, offer the option to upgrade to one of our Extended Version History options, which would allow you to retain deleted data or disconnected drive data for a year or Forever, depending on which option you choose. You can find out more about our Extended Version History options here.

• @Stetsed said:

@Calin said:

Regards

OP asked for 15TB storage while the highest you offer in that post is 9TB.

iHostArt allow buying multiple and combine them into a single VPS.

Still, it seem like OP want storage and not a whole VPS.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • Thank you guys for the suggestion. I went with BackBlaze.