Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telnyx S3-compatible object storage $4/TB/mo and free egress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Telnyx S3-compatible object storage $4/TB/mo and free egress

edited July 2023 in General

https://telnyx.com/products/cloud-storage

What you get for free per month:

• 10GB storage
  • 1 million state-change operations
  • 10 million state-read operations

They seem to only have locations in USA and are using Filecoin as the storage backbone, so theoretically even if their APIs are offline you should still be able to retrieve files.

They provide free egress, but didn't see any fair usage policies akin to iDrive e2 or Wasabi.

You need to provide an ID if you are using a free email, so sign up using an email attached to a domain you own (or some temporary email provider if you just want to play around).

I was curious how fast the storage was, so I uploaded a 3GB file and reached 40MB/s before the file was finished downloading. Not sure if they are caching files on their own servers before sending them to Filecoin.

Anyone else use this service before?

Thanked by 3nick_ warih listerine90

Comments

• cxplaycxplay Member

Such billing is similar to Cloudflare R2, but I haven't used Telnyx, thanks for the info.🙂

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@cxplay Not really similar. $15/TB vs $4/TB and potentially operation costs too depending on your application.

Although YMMV and more options is usually better. For example linode S3 at $20/TB can often work out cheaper than other vendors due to the cost of operations in certain situations (unlimited with Linode). The same as it can be more expensive than others depending on egress rates.

Thanked by 1cxplay
  • I wanted to try it out but their storage service is currently experiencing an outtage, bummer.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited July 2023

Telnyx focuses on VOIP.
    I used them for telephony years ago they're very professional in this field.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

A service that had both self hosted (open source) and hosted would be pretty killer for filecoin.

One of the big (often underestimated risks) to large storage as a service is the company going under. Expecially those with data export / import caps to deal with (even if in the form of ops rates).

The confidence of being able to access your files with & without the provided S3 gateway as a service would be pretty awesome.

• pwnedpwned Member

I just signed up, and so far I'm not impressed. They didn't like my email ([email protected]), so I had to use something like [email protected]. I used a promo code from their Twitter, and it was accepted but I can't see any credit. 2FA is an option, but you can't activate TOTP without first verifying a phone number?! And finally, when I attempt to activate storage I receive the useful and informative "Unexpected error" message.

• @pwned said:
    I just signed up, and so far I'm not impressed. They didn't like my email ([email protected]), so I had to use something like [email protected]. I used a promo code from their Twitter, and it was accepted but I can't see any credit. 2FA is an option, but you can't activate TOTP without first verifying a phone number?! And finally, when I attempt to activate storage I receive the useful and informative "Unexpected error" message.

They do manual verification, from what I remember there are two levels of verification each gives different privileges (at least when it comes to making outgoing calls). They're pretty tough on abuse

• tjntjn Member
    edited July 2023

@farsighter said:
    Telnyx focuses on VOIP.
    I used them for telephony years ago they're very professional in this field.

A little while back their "security team" blocked Hetzner, Vultr and DO ASN's for no reason at all for about a week, and their IP whitelist "feature" stopped working at the same time.
    It was a battle to get my ticket(s) addressed until it was eventually escalated to the "NOC Manager".

Knocked a few important PBXs I had offline. It wasn't a fun couple of days.
    After that I couldn't take them seriously anymore.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • They've had an outage since July 18th. https://status.telnyx.com/

=/

• I don't do crypto. If it was their own datacenters I'd give them a chance.

• It is spam, as soon as I topped up the balance (using PayPal), they blocked my account and they never replied to my emails nor answered my phone calls.

• @FrankRuan said: It is spam, as soon as I topped up the balance (using PayPal), they blocked my account and they never replied to my emails nor answered my phone calls.

Wow. Really? How much did you topup?

• API looks back up according to the status page, but I can't create any buckets. Weird.

• @manouchehri said:
    API looks back up according to the status page, but I can't create any buckets. Weird.

same issue.

• they have NO URL access... no cname either

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR
  • pwnedpwned Member

Activate storage->Unexpected error. Still? Status page shows it's resolved and operational.

OK, still not impressed.

• I can not create account in your service

• Telnyx Storage is shutting down the ability to create buckets in any region except for us-central-1.