Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smarthost Dallas VM down : could not read the boot disk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Smarthost Dallas VM down : could not read the boot disk

Smarthost Dallas VM down, says
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

Just happened out of the blue, I tried booting/rebooting from Solus Panel 2-3 times, doesn't budge.
May be a node failure or something...
Anyone else experiencing VMs down in Dallas?

Comments

• Did you contact SmartHost instead of just posting on LET which is not the official support station?

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @plumberg said:
    Did you contact SmartHost instead of just posting on LET which is not the official support station?

Of course sir... ticket is already raised.

Was just curious if anyone else had an issue.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • themewthemew Member
    edited July 2023

Yes, seeing this as well with SmartHost in Dallas. Same issues as you are reporting.

Edit: Just noticed in Solus that "drive used is 0%" with entire drive space free. The server is still up since I can pull pages on our site stored in ram (Varnish), but the drive isn't there.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @SmartHost Shawn... can you pls kick in, I think someone senior needs to take a look whats been happening on the node side.

• themewthemew Member
    edited July 2023

The node is offline, so appears like something is happening... :) Gotta say, super strange for a datacenter that's been rock solid for us for years.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited July 2023

@themew said:
    Yes, seeing this as well with SmartHost in Dallas. Same issues as you are reporting.

Edit: Just noticed in Solus that "drive used is 0%" with entire drive space free. The server is still up since I can pull pages on our site stored in ram (Varnish), but the drive isn't there.

Just don't reboot your server and report this on ticket. Lets see what they say.

To my ticket they replied :

I can see that you already kicked out your disk while you did tried to mount and install iso
        We can't do anything at this point. You need to reinstall your OS.
        Warm Regards,
        Mahmoud E.
        Operations Manager
        SmartHost, LLC

I'm not sure what exactly they mean. My server was frozen even on the VNC console so I rebooted. I saw boot order was oddly set to boot from CD Rom which I changed to HARD DRIVE only, still no luck. Where/What I 'KICKED out the disk' I don't understand.

so just a word of caution who else faces the issue

• themewthemew Member
    edited July 2023

We're back up. Down from 7:35am CT to about 9:30am. Data looks good - no issues.

• yes mine too...
    The same rep replied and said "we able to restored it back."
    I've asked for a detailed explaination... if the disk error was FIXED or a point in time restore was done. The latter needs to be detailed what date/time backup was restored.

Thanked by 1themew
  • NVME SSD array fell off, happens once in awhile, and then hardware node needs be hard power cycled to resolve.
    Should be fine moving forward, but if happens again in short order, then we typically migrate VPS to another node at that time.
    No data was lost, and no backups were restored from, as we just needed to diagnose the issue, and then power cycle the node.

Warm Regards,
    Shawn M. Arcus
    Managing Director
    SmartHost, LLC

All seems fine and I trust Shawn. He is a capable host and has been providing good service all these years.

CLOSED

Thanked by 1themew