Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH support response time has improved drastically!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH support response time has improved drastically!

I had a couple of cheap OVH dedicated servers, but they both got unresponsive in their control panel during reinstall and configuration. With other providers, I could have fixed the problem myself by reinstalling them or using the rescue system.
I canceled them yesterday because the last time I needed their support on the weekend, it took them 3-4 days to respond to the ticket.
But I forgot to close a technical support ticket for one of the servers, and instead of closing the support ticket, some friendly OVH support technician forwarded the support ticket to billing support, which reactivated the server and asked for permission to reactivate the other server too.
I replied that I had canceled the servers, and I never asked to have them reactivated, and I wanted them canceled. And since you can't remove your payment card from the panel, I asked them to remove that too. Just to be sure.
But no, I got the reply that I should cancel the server myself, again, and since their panel returned an error, I was instructed to cancel it with API calls.
And instead of removing my payment card or just deleting my account from their panel, they send me a link to their GDPR page.
Now I am waiting for their GDPR support team to reply to my right of erasure request.
Since I haven't paid extra for fast support, I'm impressed with the "fast" replies, but it's too stupid to involve this many people and waste so much time on something this simple.
K.I.S.S.

Comments

• comXyzcomXyz Member

So, is it bad, or good?

Thanked by 2kasodk itsgoingdown
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

I'm guessing a lot of lowend clients got dropped when they introduced per month IP billing

Thanked by 2kasodk Rolter
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2023

@kasodk said: But no, I got the reply that I should cancel the server myself, again, and since their panel returned an error, I was instructed to cancel it with API calls.

This is the only provider I've heard that literally asks customers to make an API call to their backend, when their control panel experiences a bug. I had similar experience with regular OVH (not kimsufi/sys), with the higher level of support, although they do respond within 8 hours rather than 4 days.

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • emghemgh Member

@jon617 said:

@kasodk said: But no, I got the reply that I should cancel the server myself, again, and since their panel returned an error, I was instructed to cancel it with API calls.

This is the only provider I've heard that literally asks customers to make an API call to their backend, when their control panel experiences a bug. I had similar experience with regular OVH (not kimsufi/sys), with the higher level of support, although they do respond within 8 hours rather than 4 days.

I mean that’s a good response

In best of world’s, nothing ever bugs out

But OVH runs a complex panel that’s from what I can tell 100 % made in-house

Not like a WHMCS installation with no new features since 2005 and therefore basically no bugs

And if a client notices a bug, the best thing they can be expected to do is:
    1. Make sure the bug gets fixed (but this dosen’t solve the issue at hand)
    2. Provide a less ideal solution to the issue at-hand

There’s several issues I’ve got with the panel, but I appreciate how robust it is, and that I can do it all from one place (basically, at least)

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2023

@emgh said: if a client notices a bug, the best thing they can be expected to do is:

🤔, I'll try that for the next software I launch. When one of my customers decides to cancel, unsubscribe, or delete their data and my front-end fails, we could provide them with a detailed PDF guide on how to create an API key, download Postman, and send json via a POST request. This way, they could manage the process themselves and feel empowered while saving me from regulatory compliance efforts.

Thanked by 2kasodk neverain
  • PagePage Member

Their tech support... really...

They deleted my account and embezzled my money, refused to refund, same thing happened to many people on trustpilot, and others lost more than me.

If you are not in the country where OVH operates, it will be extremely difficult for you to file a legal lawsuit, but this also gave me inspiration, that is, to recognize these fraudulent companies, if you develop a large business, use them in large quantities service, the loss will be unlimited.

Now I have established a firm foothold in hetzner, their service and quality are far better than ovh, and my business is gradually improving, I am very glad to find such a reliable partner of hetzner.

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • adnsadns Member

I wrote to support a few weeks ago that I'd like to cancel my service and apply my right of withdrawal 14 day money refund.

I got reply after two hours and I confirmed details, a hour later the cancellation process started well. It was at morning, the money appeared on my Revolut card on next morning. I use only the cheapest Kimsufi range.

The billing team fast and useful. However, technical side still has issues. They will disable the old rescue system, but on new, I can not create Luks encrypted drive. It always gave me parameter problem. I wrote to support about this problem in January and they always suggested me to ask an OVH partner sysadmin to do this job if I can not do it myself. However, the old rescue disable process postponed.

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@jon617 said:

@emgh said: if a client notices a bug, the best thing they can be expected to do is:

🤔, I'll try that for the next software I launch. When one of my customers decides to cancel, unsubscribe, or delete their data and my front-end fails, we could provide them with a detailed PDF guide on how to create an API key, download Postman, and send json via a POST request. This way, they could manage the process themselves and feel empowered while saving me from regulatory compliance efforts.

Where in GDPR does it say that having a temporary bug is a breach?

If you don’t manage to cancel this way and you’re still billed, you surely have a right to a refund

But you do not have a right to a frontend that never bugs, that’s silly and a bad legal take

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2023

In regards to GDPR, here

In regards to being erroneously charged a renewal for a service after its term ends, pretty sure there's regulations about that.

No matter whether they wrote software or bought it off the shelf, services have support when something doesn't work, especially involving account deletion and erroneous transactions. I'm not suggesting that software should work flawlessly, nor implying that the support response needs to be immediate. When issues arise, the responsible company should take the initiative to resolve. That's my opinion, and sometimes I find their responses laughable... expecting the customer to learn their API just because customer service is unwilling or unable to do their job.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2023

We have an OVH account with a bunch of services (dedicated, VPS, etc) and no special support agreements and support response times are always under an hour (Monday - Friday only, mind you) - and helpful/relevant.

I feel that what often slows tickets down is quite simply: not giving all the information, clearly written, upfront. Some people have a tendency of rambling and writing paragraphs and paragraphs for something that could be conveyed in a single sentence.

Additionally, I always try to include screenshots and if applicable, screen recordings (short videos) to demonstrate a problem - that way, the operator knows exactly what's going on as they can visually see the problem happening rather than being forced to take your word and investigate from there.

https://getsharex.com/ + a private FTP server has changed the way I work when it comes to reporting issues. It makes taking screenshots and videos very quick and easy.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@jon617 said:
    In regards to GDPR, here

EU legislation is heavily based on precedent, the link above just cover what generally has to be deleted and what generally does not

You’re taking something very general and trying to make a specific point with it

You’d need to look at case law and find a case where someone claims breach of GDPR because of a temporary frontend bug

And you won’t, because it’s silly

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited July 2023

@jon617 said:

In fairness to OVH they have a page for making API requests with an HTML form and login handled for you. No skills required

• @darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

In fairness to OVH they have a page for making API requests with an HTML form and login handled for you. No skills required

They should stop referring to that as API requests if it's done through their web interface provided...

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

Indeed, since I came across it some years ago it is mainly where I go to instead of the normal interface.
    I think the issue of the complaints on this thread by some people is that they shouldn't be using servers in the first place if they don't have the "knowledge" to use a simple API.
    But idler gotta idle.

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited July 2023

@Rosebelle said:

@darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

Indeed, since I came across it some years ago it is mainly where I go to instead of the normal interface.
    I think the issue of the complaints on this thread by some people is that they shouldn't be using servers in the first place if they don't have the "knowledge" to use a simple API.

Damn, you are a stupid cunt.

I don't have any problems managing a server or using an API. The only support tickets I ever created at OVH were related to hardware failure or errors in their control panel.

But I have a problem with providers that try to steal my money by reactivating services that have been canceled and waste a lot of my time by forcing me to contact multiple support departments via multiple systems to fix mistakes they have made.

• emghemgh Member

@kasodk said:

@Rosebelle said:

@darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

Damn, you are a stupid cunt.

I don't have any problems managing a server or using an API. The only support tickets I ever created at OVH were related to hardware failure or errors in their control panel.

But I have a problem with providers that try to steal my money by reactivating services that have been canceled and waste a lot of my time by forcing me to contact multiple support departments via multiple systems to fix mistakes they have made.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

But stupidity is a stretch here.

More like a super complex billing system with a huge amount of per country differences, vat rates, complience differences etc.

Anyway there’s no way you’re right about them trying to steal your money, logically, it makes no sense:
    1. The person responsible for this exact happening at OVH isn’t the CEO or a board member, or anyone with incentive enough to do something like that
    2. You’re likely not a client that make any difference to them if you stayed one month longer (since you’d notice and cancel again)
    3. Just in general, the complexity of the system is a way more likely reason overall, and now, the situation overall makes this the most viable reason

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@TimboJones said:

@darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

They should stop referring to that as API requests if it's done through their web interface provided...

Well, it isn't a part of their control panel.
    You can see it here: https://api.ovh.com/console/

Normal companies use similar for testing, but OVH apparently has so many problems with their control panel, that they refer to the API in their support replies.

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@kasodk said:

@TimboJones said:

@darkimmortal said:

@jon617 said:

Well, it isn't a part of their control panel.
    You can see it here: https://api.ovh.com/console/

Normal companies use similar for testing, but OVH apparently has so many problems with their control panel, that they refer to the API in their support replies.

Edit: nvm, I don’t really want to get into this

But note that them asking you to use one of their API endpoints dosen’t affect the value of their offerings for anyone else

• kasodkkasodk Barred

It's funny, I create a review where the red thread is time-wasting bad customer service.

And then the OVH fanboys find a technical word (API) and derail the thread into a discussion on APIs. :D

Thanked by 1loay
  • emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@kasodk said:
    It's funny, I create a review where the red thread is time-wasting bad customer service.

And then the OVH fanboys find a technical word (API) and derail the thread into a discussion on APIs. :D

Yes, admitting to meaningful issues but disagreeing with your needle in a haystack issue is definitely the definition of being a fanboy:

@emgh said: There’s several issues I’ve got with the panel, but I appreciate how robust it is, and that I can do it all from one place (basically, at least)

Also, there was ONE comment about the technical definition of an API, ONE