Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated servers with ILO access | You set the price!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated servers with ILO access | You set the price!

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited July 2023 in Help

Hello!
Today I received an offer from my private seller with some HP servers (10) from the old generation but which I think would go on the LET market as dedicated servers, not VPS Storage.

My question is - how much would you pay for the following configuration?
2x E5-2650v2 (16c/32t, 2.60GHz - 3.40GHz)
128GB DDR3 1600MHz
1 Gbps Port (best-effort)
30TB/mo traffic
4x 4TB 7.2K rpm
Free replacement of defective hardware

Also, if you think that these servers can be divided in another way that would suit you better, I will listen to you.

I wish you all a beautiful day!

Thanked by 1Calin

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited July 2023

$7/month/year/lifetime.

• I'd probably remove the hard drives and replace it with a single hard drive of maybe 1-2Tb as most people don't need 16TB storage, and use the 16TB storage to provide some storage vpses, otherwise considering it's an old platform, 55-70$/month is alright

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • will pay $45 monthly in monthly or quaterly payment

• VoidVoid Member

Hope that seller’s name doesn’t start with C and ends with n.
    Anyway,assuming you have residential connection now, sell them as NAT VPS with speed, bandwidth cap etc for €0.7/quarter

Thanked by 2Calin sh97
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@jmaxwell said:
    Anyway,assuming you have residential connection now, sell them as NAT VPS with speed, bandwidth cap etc for €0.7/quarter

For the simple reason that I said that Calin and I have different market targets, this does not mean that we are doing business together anymore.
    Currently it is what I wanted, a fair competition.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

400 push-ups / month

• VoidVoid Member

@FlorinMarian said:

@jmaxwell said:

For the simple reason that I said that Calin and I have different market targets, this does not mean that we are doing business together anymore.
    Currently it is what I wanted, a fair competition.

That meant more than ‘doing business together’ but ok.

• ifreakifreak Member

Also, if you think that these servers can be divided in another way that would suit you better, I will listen to you.

Dark fiber to @Calin and have high availability zones for virtual machines. Optional connectivity to @Hybula on their value plans (not yet) with an optional premium traffic plan. So customer has various options for various markets

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Needs an NVME/SSD in it and it would provide a great SSD-cached dedi or vps(s).

I also think you should meter the ports to 100Mbps and advertise that to set realistic expectations.

Otherwise, I think you’ll frequently deal with upset customers that can’t use anywhere near 1Gbps.

With networking in mind, if you added an SSD to that with the age and situation, I think people would be comfortable paying something like $49-$79 - especially when you consider @Calin offers in the area.

Thanked by 2Calin FlorinMarian
  • $0 for lifetime.
    The Otus Way™

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2023

Good hardware paired with crappy internet. It is like icecream with cone made of thin crust of fecies. If you don't look and smell - you are good to go. You will get the taste.

@LTniger said:
    Good hardware paired with crappy internet. It is like icecream with cone made of thin crust of fecies. If you don't look and smell - you are good to go. You will get the taste.

I don’t agree with “if you don’t look”.
    I am one of the most honest providers on this forum, hence the reason why there are enough people against me.

• Replace disks to ssd/nvme 1T and I can order one for 50-60 bucks :)

• first: yabs please!

• bh4techbh4tech Member
    edited July 2023

My question is - how much would you pay for the following configuration?

$20/month

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AndreiGhesiAndreiGhesi Member
    edited July 2023

@FlorinMarian said:

@LTniger said:

I am one of the most honest providers on this forum, hence the reason why there are enough people against me.

Nobody cares if you are the most honest...loool

People want decent uptime and bandwidth.

Calculate your running cost for a month for the server, add ROI for server and then your desired profit. That's how you calculate how much is worth the server.
    Fuck me, you still did not learn how to price your services....

Thanked by 1Calin

@AndreiGhesi said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@LTniger said:

Nobody cares if you are the most honest...loool

People want decent uptime and bandwidth.

Calculate your running cost for a month for the server, add ROI for server and then your desired profit. That's how you calculate how much is worth the server.
    Fuck me, you still did not learn how to price your services....

Calm down, you're freaking out.
    It wasn't about how the ROI is calculated, but about how realistic my calculations are compared to what the world is willing to pay.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2023

For DDR3 and 7200rpm hdd you will get around 39.99$ ~ 49.99$\month. For higher price you will attract trouble, such as cp hosters, iptv pirates and gambling site operators. In your situation there is no easy way. It was bad, very bad move to setup a home installation. Massive marketing leverage lost. How are you better than X from same country with DDR4 and NVMe?

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian Calin

@LTniger said:
    For DDR3 and 7200rpm hdd you will get around 39.99$ ~ 49.99$\month. For higher price you will attract trouble, such as cp hosters, iptv pirates and gambling site operators. In your situation there is no easy way. It was bad, very bad move to setup a home installation. Massive marketing leverage lost. How are you better than X from same country with DDR4 and NVMe?

Everyone promotes their business according to their own beliefs, but the answer to the question "why should I be your client?" has the following key elements:
    1. Fast and useful support (I don't reply just for the sake of postponing a difficult answer)
    2. No overselling to affect expectations for a KVM server at the price paid
    3. We have no debts or majority clients on which the existence of our business depends
    4. Free backups and at the customer's fingertips (we don't just promise that we do it, we actually show it)
    5. 0 tolerance to abuses (scans, DDoS, phishing, etc.) that could endanger the existence of your services

• GhtGht Member

Max $30

• I am not sure if selling dedicated servers is really what your customers are expecting.

In my opinion it would be better to get some of these machines, using them as KVM host systems and sell a lot of VPS for a really low price - to earn by quantity.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2023

@ontheair said:
    I am not sure if selling dedicated servers is really what your customers are expecting.

In my opinion it would be better to get some of these machines, using them as KVM host systems and sell a lot of VPS for a really low price - to earn by quantity.

@FlorinMarian , I'd suggest the opposite of this.

Much easier to deal with fewer, higher paying customers than a lot of low paying customers. Plus you get higher profit margin per available IP.

With a dedi client, you have the same chance of hardware failure with a single person using the bare metal hardware as you do using the same hardware for a VPS node with dozens of clients sharing it. Seems better to just impact one person instead of many.

One person is less likely to take up as much of your time as dozens would, if split into VPSes. Less tickets, less headaches, more living life.

You don't waste your IPs. I have no idea what your IP situation or is what your operational costs are, but I know you sell VPSes for very cheap. Better to use them wisely and get the most out of each IP as you can in terms of sales.

Etc.

The people who'd rent a dedi from you already know where/how it's hosted it seems so I don't see the issue with it. It has it's place, I guess.

It's also possible that none of this matters at your scale, but it's still things to consider. When given a chance to earn more for less hassle, I say take it.

• ontheairontheair Member
    edited July 2023

@MannDude All what you say is true, of course.
    But let's not forget: We talk about hosting in a residential building with limited bandwidth - compared to the benefits of a professional datacenter.
    The only way I see to compete, is keeping prices low.

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@MannDude said:
    It's also possible that none of this matters at your scale, but it's still things to consider. When given a chance to earn more for less hassle, I say take it.

@FlorinMarian has invested in solar panels and instead of keeping or reinvesting the profit, he uses the electricity to lower his hosting prices to earn the same money one more time.
    I think he likes the hassle. :smile: