Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any of you messing around with AI images? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any of you messing around with AI images?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jar said: My college degree is in design

Wow, I knew you were a freak, but I had no idea it ran that deep.

Thanked by 2jar hades_corps
  • MrLimeMrLime Member

@raindog308 said:

@jar said: My college degree is in design

Wow, I knew you were a freak, but I had no idea it ran that deep.

Jar is a good system designer ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Its so hypocritic, snowflake Photoshoppers are freaking out about AI "taking their jobs"
    while we heard nothing when companies computerized things, why we didn't hear them whine when ERP largely used and laid off so many jobs?

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@jar said:

@rcy026 said:
    Lets say that you hired an artist to do artwork in "Picasso" style, and the artist went to a museum and looked at Picasso paintings. No copyright breach of any kind, he just watched the publicly available paintings for inspiration, and then makes artwork in the same style.
    This is basically what an AI does, it scrapes publicly available information to learn, or "get inspiration" if you will. AFAIK, no AI will buy source material, they use what is already publicly available (I guess that if you gave an AI your creditcard or paypayl account it probably could buy copyrighted source material, but I doubt anyone wants to do that).
    Hence, suing an AI for copyright breach is stupid, it's just an attempt to get some money by someone who knows they will soon be replaced by cheap software.

"But but I was ripping off uneducated local business owners and that's at risk now!!!"

That's my impression of graphic designers today. My college degree is in design, I adapted earlier.

If I study a bunch of art and then make something unique but derivative, no one asks me to pay the artists I studied. This is what literally every artist does. Each artist advances the arts, they don't create things in a vacuum with zero influence. Even if they don't "study" art they ingest the creative work of architects while walking down the street. You can't avoid influence.

But if a computer does the same thing a bunch of people lose their fucking minds. It's clear why. They don't know how to adapt to progress, and it's everyone else's fault. Those are the people that would keep us in the stone age to protect their profits. Half of them have been regurgitating basic design elements for the last 20 years but all of a sudden they feel threatened by repetitive process.

In reality, they should learn to adapt. Learn to be better at writing prompts, take on more jobs for less money that you can complete in less time, and get paid for it. Because the donut shop owner down the street who wants a new logo? Yeah, he can't compete with your practiced and perfected prompt writing. That's what will separate the starving artists from the successful ones in 2024. We have new paintbrushes, expect hard times if you refuse to pick one up.

I could not agree more.
    I am all for copyright and getting paid for your work, but things today are getting almost absurd. Big corporations and artists hunting users on social media for playing 10 seconds of a copyrighted song in the background of their latest tiktok video? How in the hell would that profit your business? It's not derivative, it does not threaten your income, it's just absurd!
    In most industries you compete by quality, know how, experience or price. In art, such competition seems to be frowned upon. As a consultant I constantly have to defend my prices. As tiresome as it might be, I find it perfectly natural. A customer has the right to know what he is paying for.
    Question an "artists" price, be it in graphics, writing or photography, and they will immediately be insulted and start ranting about talent.
    Lets just face the cold, hard truth. If a computer can do your job better, cheaper and faster than you can, maybe your "talent" is not as unique and invaluable as you want to believe.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

WOW! I am amazed at many of the images you guys created! I gotta learn this!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2023

@Arkas said:
    WOW! I am amazed at many of the images you guys created! I gotta learn this!

It's fun. I mean, you get some varied results, sure. But you can create some neat stuff. I just like recreating the aesthetics I already enjoy. Not so much now, but I used to do a lot of photography and I loved capturing light trails, long exposures, stuff like that. I've always enjoyed pin-hole camera stuff as well. Call me a hipster but I've always loved the lo-fi stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the fantasy anime weeb superhero shit. I like seeing things that look real or don't particularly look computer generated.

Or hand drawn art that isn't ultra polished and refined like this stuff:

https://discord.gg/stablediffusion is a pretty useful Discord too for prompt ideas. If you want larger images, you can use ClipDrop Pro or something.

Thanked by 2Arkas hyperblast