Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you need a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do you need a VPS?

I have been wondering what is the need for people to buy VPS, share your views here!

Some may buy for IP address, to set up VPN, or route traffic from your home lab services.
Some may get a cheap/free VPS to host small applications/websites.

Why did you choose a VPS over your dedicated hardware at home?

For me I already have my own hardware and can already be way powerful than the VPS specs. I am not sure why I need a VPS now hahaha but I am learning new stuff! It is a want for me.

Comments

• davidedavide Member
    edited July 2023

To read Russian news.

It's a dirt cheap proxy that satisfies my sinful vice to circumvent the EU Democracy Firewall and get indoctrinated by the enemy's propaganda :)

Thanked by 2hyperblast kasodk
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Route Bending, lowest latency possible for Gaming at all times.
    However, to archive this, you need a bunch of these VPS's's's's.

Waste of Money, but Latency is all what matters.

• davidedavide Member

@Neoon said:
    Route Bending

Adding one hop you get lower latency?

@davide said:

@Neoon said:
    Route Bending

Adding one hop you get lower latency?

Not based on hops, based on better routes, I get better latency.
    Lets say my ISP has a shit route, I can selectively send traffic over the VPN.

Plus, If I have alternative routes, I can avoid routes with packet loss or jittaaaar.

Thanked by 1neel_qeru
  • davidedavide Member

@Neoon

I see. I'm not latency sensitive by any means, my home connection is over an LTE modem... and I use tinc as VPN which is pretty slow but has cool futuristic features (mesh network, route discovery)

1. You can get better ping to customers in other regions
    2. You can get extra dedicated IP's, ISP often don't provide them
    3. You can get IP's with foreign geolocation for VPN/proxy
    4. You can rent powerful hardware for a short time instead of buying
  • conceptconcept Member
    edited July 2023

I mainly use it to host Tor relays.

Access to fast internet with cheap bandwidth, powerful hardware in seconds and security because I don't have to open my network to the internet.

Thanked by 1Average4552
  • So I mostly use it as a jump host into my home network, specifically for services I want to be publicly accessible. Most of my services are local and done via local DNS resolution and then I have a VPN running inside of my home network. But some services I want to publicly expose and I would rather not directly expose my own IP so for that I use a VPS. I use FRP which does raw TCP forwarding so I can keep HTTPS keys on my local machine

I also usually use it for some services which I don't want to be affected by internal circumstances but currently not using either of my VPS's for that.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited July 2023

Running dedicated application 24x7
    Also SQL Server database

• koly1koly1 Member

for backups

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@rasping5978 said:
    Why did you choose a VPS over your dedicated hardware at home?

I build distributed application that serves content to worldwide viewers.
    If I only place dedicated servers in my two residences, viewers would encounter high latency and low speed to the servers.
    I chose multiple VPSes in different regions around the world so that viewers can have better experience.

Thanked by 1rasping5978
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@dev_vps said: Also SQL Server database

Express Edition? Otherwise you're either cheating on license or paying a fortune.

• Recently my VPS has Calckey and Misskey installed. (If the name sounds unfamiliar, think of it as a relative of Mastodon or Pleroma.)

Also, in Japan, IPoE is being adopted instead of PPPoE for high-speed communication. In addition, it has become possible to use mobile lines for home use. This makes it difficult to use NAT. I'm using Tailscale for that solution, which requires a VPS to connect to.

• My main purpose is to serve as a proxy for accessing blocked websites, which is crucial for completing my development work. Additionally, I can also set up my personal blog.

• Uptime using VPS generally better than hosting at my home, although I have moved a majority of selfhosted things at home. I only host websites outside now.

• LutungLutung Member

Order, idle, and forget

• @raindog308 said:

@dev_vps said: Also SQL Server database

Express Edition? Otherwise you're either cheating on license or paying a fortune.

Express edition is more than enough for my projects.

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

I use a VPS to host a personal web, email, and Mastodon server. For many years this was mostly Vultr (and a bit of BuyVM/NexusBytes) before I went into the VPS business myself :D.

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:

Plus, If I have alternative routes, I can avoid routes with packet loss or jittaaaar.

One advantage of having CenturyLink as your home ISP (that is, if you have fiber) is great peering. You have god-tier AS3356 (Level 3) peering which connects to almost everything.

• fazarfazar Member

I use VPS to host my personal blogs, adguardhome instance, and private VPN.

@neel_qeru said:

@Neoon said:

One advantage of having CenturyLink as your home ISP (that is, if you have fiber) is great peering. You have god-tier AS3356 (Level 3) peering which connects to almost everything.

I doubt that.

• for some websites

• aliletalilet Member

My primary purpose is to host WordPress blogs.

• For running services instead of running them at home. A static IP usually costs $10 per month extra in my country so it's a no-brainer for me.

• discord bots, my api, random scripts to update random stuff, private github repo

• i wonder why.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

order > benchmark > idle B)

@rasping5978 said: Why did you choose a VPS over your dedicated hardware at home?

First reason that my PC is not a 24 hours machine, while VPS intended to be used 24 hours non stop, second reason, the internet connection.

For me I already have my own hardware and can already be way powerful than the VPS specs. I am not sure why I need a VPS now hahaha but I am learning new stuff! It is a want for me.

If you have a website or similar to it, then you will know, why you need a VPS or dedicated server.

Ofcourse you could host your website from your home, using your ISP, dedicated public IP, but that's need a lot of knowledge and maintenance.