Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think there is a little bug on LET.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think there is a little bug on LET.

danielyidanielyi Member
edited July 2023 in General

截屏2023-07-15 上午11.24.51.png

When I click a link in https://lowendtalk.com , it said I'm going to leave LowEndTalk.

Comments

• oyhacooyhaco Member

I didnt experience it. Iook fine on my side. (Via mobile browser)

• It didn't happen on me either. I tested on mobile chrome and Linux Vivaldi.

Maybe you have some extensions that might cause this?
    What happens if you try the same thing on different browser?

• It doesnt happen to me

• sillycatsillycat Member
    edited July 2023

It has happened to me before, but it is inconsistent each time.

• zGatozGato Member
    edited July 2023

-

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Cluster Error™

Thanked by 3AXYZE doghouch emgh
  • You're never going to leave.
    There was no bug.

• fazarfazar Member
    edited July 2023

@danielyi said:
    截屏2023-07-15 上午11.24.51.png

When I click a link in https://lowendtalk.com , it said I'm going to leave LowEndTalk.

Its not a bug, its a kitten!

• it just lets you know that its not a drama thread

• @Otus9051 said: it just lets you know that its not a drama thread

Too middle of the road for my taste.

• kmaskmas Member
    edited July 2023

It does seem to consistently happen when clicking on the THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) link in the community rules thread. I am guessing the "bug" is only with links to "www.lowendtalk.com" and not "lowendtalk.com".

Here's a test:
    with www | without www

EDIT: I guess not. Somehow it's just links to IP related threads it would appear.
    EDIT2: I now realized this URL actually redirects to a different URL (which is the same as the one shown in the OP). Probably related to how that redirect works.
    /discussion/114478/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn --> /discussion/160162/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn-only-providers-are-allowed-to-post-offers-2

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@kmas said:
    It does seem to consistently happen when clicking on the THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) link in the community rules thread. I am guessing the "bug" is only with links to "www.lowendtalk.com" and not "lowendtalk.com".

Here's a test:
    with www | without www

EDIT: I guess not. Somehow it's just links to IP related threads it would appear.
    EDIT2: I now realized this URL actually redirects to a different URL (which is the same as the one shown in the OP). Probably related to how that redirect works.
    /discussion/114478/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn --> /discussion/160162/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn-only-providers-are-allowed-to-post-offers-2

@Arkas , there is more work for you.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@kasodk said: @Arkas , there is more work for you.

I've been following the thread. I can't replicate on my side. I'll see what else I can do.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah just:

s/www.lowendtalk/lowendtalk/

Is all.

• GanonkGanonk Member

-1 social credit

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@Arkas said:

I've been following the thread. I can't replicate on my side. I'll see what else I can do.

If you click on the THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) link on the following page you should be able to replicate it:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1#ip

You can fix it by removing www. from the link, but it would be better if Vanilla could recognize internal links with and without www.

Thanked by 1MrLime
  • There may be SEO implications too, so it's better to set a canonical domain

• kmaskmas Member

@kasodk said:

@Arkas said:

If you click on the THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) link on the following page you should be able to replicate it:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1#ip

You can fix it by removing www. from the link, but it would be better if Vanilla could recognize internal links with and without www.

Sorry, I realize now that my message ended up rather confusing with the edits. It was my initial theory that the problem was related to the "www." since most other links on the site do not have it. That was proven not to be the case with the test links I included in my message - both work fine, the one with "www." just redirects you to the one without "www." with no notice shown.

The issue seems to be with that specific link to the IP Related Thread in the Community Rules. Contrary to what you said, removing "www." from it does not actually fix it. Just try this:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/114478/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn
    I'm not sure of the reason behind it, but this link seems to redirect to a different (although similar) one, which then shows the message about leaving LET before letting you continue.
    /discussion/114478/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn
    redirects to
    /discussion/160162/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn-only-providers-are-allowed-to-post-offers-2

It's also worth noting that interestingly I'm yet to see an actual link pointing outside of LET that would show a similar message. They all seem to take you directly to the external website without warning you about leaving LET first.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 1danielyi
  • kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited July 2023

Well, I checked again. The redirect chain shows that /home/leaving?Target= is added to the final 301 redirect, which causes the leaving warning page.

/home/leaving?Target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lowendtalk.com%2Fdiscussion%2F160162%2Fthe-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn-only-providers-are-allowed-to-post-offers-2

I guess the warning page has been disabled in the settings at some point, and the database hasn't been updated correctly on redirected URLs.

It's an old bug, and only old URLs/redirects in the database are affected if the error can't be replicated by creating a new redirect.

If someone is going to write a script that fixes the issue, it would be a good idea to remove www from all internal URLs/links in the database at the same time to reduce the many 301 redirects.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • meanwhile,

Thanked by 1danielyi