Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New browser from Zoho - Ulaa
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New browser from Zoho - Ulaa

https://ulaa.com/

It's pretty new but coming from Zoho I would tent to trust their privacy claims. I am testing it and the first impressions are good. Anyone using it?

Comments

• if it's as bad as their phone mail app, and desktop mail app, then won't even try it.

• @JoseDieguez said:
    if it's as bad as their phone mail app, and desktop mail app, then won't even try it.

This. Zoho has a product for literally everything and they're all super complex and poorly designed.

They should drop 90% of offerings and focus on providing all of that energy into making a couple of products, like mail, actually good.

• @JoseDieguez said:
    if it's as bad as their phone mail app, and desktop mail app, then won't even try it.

True!

• I think their web apps have improved a lot over the years. I don't think they are bad at all now and they have apps for almost anything.

@Mumbly said:
    I don't think this world needs another Chromium based browser.

You have a good point, but I welcome another option if it gets privacy right and is truly light on resources. Lately I have been using Orion since I am on Mac and it's the fastest browser I have tried so far, good privacy, and light on resources. Another plus is that it's based on webkit, so it's not yet another chromium browser.

I am now checking Ulaa just in case. Orion is still beta software and has issues that can be annoying (like it doesn't detect my microphone so I need to use something else for calls).

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • davidedavide Member

It takes 5 minutes to create a brand new browser these days:

1. click "fork" on Github's Chromium page
    2. replace the product icon and brand
    3. voilà profit $$$ :D
  • @davide said:
    It takes 5 minutes to create a brand new browser these days:

1. click "fork" on Github's Chromium page
    2. replace the product icon and brand
    3. voilà profit $$$ :D

:joy:

• LeviLevi Member

Is there any unique browser engines besides firefox, chromium or safari?

• when firefox is just sitting there ready to go.

• @LTniger said:

Internet Explorer

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • AndruAndru Member

@aakashmishra007 said:

@LTniger said:

Internet Explorer

Does this still exist? I think is replaced by Edge (Chromium based..)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@LTniger said: Is there any unique browser engines besides firefox, chromium or safari?

konqueror

• @LTniger said:

Lynx

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @hostfactor said:

@aakashmishra007 said:

@LTniger said:

Internet Explorer

Does this still exist? I think is replaced by Edge (Chromium based..)

IE is replaced by Edge, but you can still have IE. I use it on my Windows 10 Pro machine.

• I use Ladybird. Is a browser in C++ made from scratch, with its own LibWeb and LibJS runtimes.

It's part of SerenityOS but you can compile it for Linux.

https://github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/tree/master/Ladybird

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2023

Here's a problem with modern browsers: it's too easy to build one. Just put your name on Chromium and call it a day.

Since, Opera made it acceptable in 2013, we got many copycats: Vivaldi, Brave, Yandex, Microsoft Edge, and many others. Admittedly, I am employed by one of the companies in this paragraph.

On top of that, I don't know if Ulaa gives anything unique over Brave.

Opera has features that generally needs add-ons. Vivaldi is uber-customizable. Brave has privacy and ad-blocking. Edge while not unique is the Windows default.

But Ulaa, why bother? If you need a private browser, just use Brave, Tor Browser, or hardened Firefox. In fact, Ulaa may be slow to security updates, or die an early death.

• @neel_qeru said:

But Ulaa, why bother? If you need a private browser, just use Brave, Tor Browser, or hardened Firefox. In fact, Ulaa may be slow to security updates, or die an early death.

Ulaa has a unique SLA where they will patch security vulnerabilities within 24 hours. have you checked it out?

• ardaarda Member

Ulaa means "come on" in Turkish, in a slang way, somehow makes sense :lol:

• ErisaErisa Member

@vitobotta said: Ulaa has a unique SLA where they will patch security vulnerabilities within 24 hours

And what do they give if that SLA is not met? The point of an SLA is that its part of a paid offering and if it isn't met you get some or all or your money back as compensation. An SLA for a free product is just a vague promise.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • alt_alt_ Member

Looks cool.

• https://ulaa.com/

is pretty good for tracker less browsing. It can even block Godaddy's self hosted trackers!

• seenuseenu Member
    edited July 2023

I have installed ulaa and saw youtube shorts for likr 15mins, i am really not sure to believe this or not!

from where that 57 websites claim comes?

stats

second

EDIT: after using for another 30mins, i can definitely say...it can replace firefox or edge for me.

i use those for specific use cases and looks like this can replace, as it is very light weight (especially in comparison with firefox)

• I told you guys it seems pretty good :D

For now I will keep Brave though since Ulaa is not available for Linux ARM (and I need it for Kali on ARM)

• seenuseenu Member

i come across few other hiccups but i am loving using it....really very light weight on resources.

already moved from firefox developer edition bookmarks, history etc over to ulaa!

• this is total utter garbage.

what "benefit" does ulaa or brave or whatever chrome/chromium has over firefox+ubo? cryto nonsense or "sync" or other bs.

what do you need SLAs for? do you expect ulaa to maintain a hardfork of chromium that they will patch immediately within 24 hours and even if yes then so what?

what's the worst that has happened in the past 20 years with firefox releases that you need the goodwill of a for-profit company to offer you SLA on your browser?

as other commenters have written, creating a chromium browser takes 5 minutes and adding fancy graphs and all that. why do you care ?

firefox has this thing called containers. this is if you need to be signed in to your email or whatever.
    for your regular day to day browsing or work or whatever, private browsing mode in firefox is pretty good enough. you have to enable UBO for private mode but after that, you dont need to worry about history or cookies or tracking.

• If it's as bad as their equivalent to Google Docs, I really don't want to try it. We used to use Zoho Docs at work (before we switched to Office 365 and Google Docs) and it was terrible.

• Ulaa - The Privacy Browser that Wasn't

• _MS__MS_ Member

The browser itself is called Ulaa (pronounced as EULA).
    It almost feels like they are making fun of all the privacy policies and privacy laws by calling a "privacy" browser EULA (Ulaa).
    I don't see the FOSS and privacy-centric crowd using this browser.

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@Erisa said:

@vitobotta said: Ulaa has a unique SLA where they will patch security vulnerabilities within 24 hours

And what do they give if that SLA is not met? The point of an SLA is that its part of a paid offering and if it isn't met you get some or all or your money back as compensation. An SLA for a free product is just a vague promise.

Yes

This

The real importance when it comes to patching is resources

And also, risk

The one with:
    The most resources to fix vunerabilities

Combined with:
    The highest risk to lose revenue if not patching vunerabilities

Will generally make sure to get shit done and do so effectively

If you change from Chrome to some no-name browser that started AFTER Florin ordered his home rack, because of faster patching, well..