Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Leased IPv4 /24 utilization.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about Leased IPv4 /24 utilization.

I never used this service, I only found out about the possibility at the end of last year when OVH announced the IPv4 charge and offered the possibility of BYOIP, so I started researching it.

I saw some /24 ads for rent and I have a big question.

Is there any way to use that /24 on multiple servers? I use Virtualizor and the idea would be to divide the IPs into ~4 servers.

Example: receive the /24 in a VM (with some routing software) and split the block and 4 smaller (/26 blocks) to be used on 4 servers in different locations.

Would that be possible somehow?

Thanked by 1Umair

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

The minimum providers will announce is a /24. You can announce at one provider and do tunnels, but it isn’t a great idea due to the bandwidth required and increased latency … especially since you are showing different countries.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

This is possible using a vxlan, but all traffic will be routed through your primary server (where the VM resides), making a big impact on latency.

• How does this work with a DDoS provider like Path.net (that already uses GRE tunnel) I guess that wont add latency if you want a /26? But then you have to pay for Path

• UmairUmair Member

@juniorrrrr said:
    Is there any way to use that /24 on multiple servers? I use Virtualizor and the idea would be to divide the IPs into ~4 servers.

Example: receive the /24 in a VM (with some routing software) and split the block and 4 smaller (/26 blocks) to be used on 4 servers in different locations.

I was just thinking about similar use case. I understand the minimum IP lease you can get is /24. But can a provider not advertise /26??? What's stopping them to advertise /26?

@rsk said:
    The minimum providers will announce is a /24. You can announce at one provider and do tunnels, but it isn’t a great idea due to the bandwidth required and increased latency … especially since you are showing different countries.

Even if in same region (lets say Few dedis in Germany and few in Netherlands with 2 different providers), Can they not advertise /26 ?

Tunnel use does add unnecessary issue (and BW usage)

• ifreakifreak Member

@Harmony said:
    How does this work with a DDoS provider like Path.net (that already uses GRE tunnel) I guess that wont add latency if you want a /26? But then you have to pay for Path

Same idea. In case of companies like Path they will announce that prefix for you, if they are nearby the latency is minimal.

@juniorrrrr

You route the prefix over some kind of encapsulation and add a hop. You can then route it how you wish. Keep in mind that tunnels eat some bytes depending on the tunnel protocol. Inside the tunnel you will either need to ignore DF, which adds fragmentation or set a lower MTU in order for shitty protocols to work.

• HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited July 2023

Doing this with OVH is the problem they wont allow it. They do not even let you BYOIP into vRACK it's limited to one location.

Setting up anycast could work? https://labs.ripe.net/author/samir_jafferali/build-your-own-anycast-network-in-nine-steps/

• @juniorrrrr said: I saw some /24 ads for rent and I have a big question.

>

After your research , have you found best/budget options for buying or leasing .
    whats your shortlisted providers.