Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are these prices for real??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are these prices for real??

Came around https://www.ssdnodes.com while browsing Google. Has anyone used this service?? How was the experience? Are they providing what they're claiming on their site?

Comments

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@niranjan said:
    Came around https://www.ssdnodes.com while browsing Google. Has anyone used this service?? How was the experience? Are they providing what they're claiming on their site?

You have to prepay for 3 years to get those prices.

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • ehabehab Member

my signature works for you.

• If you search around this forum for "ssdnodes" or on google you'll find some people reporting over-provisioning on some resources.

• srch07srch07 Member

@niranjan said:

They are shit, you can't even use half the ram they claim you have.
    Try utilizing more than 50% of ram and your applications will fail.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited July 2023

@ehab said:

great signature, may I use it as well and add "never buy anything lifetime when it comes to hosting/storage, it's just a surprise expiration date, maybe in a few years, maybe tomorrow"?

Thanked by 2niranjan PineappleM
  • Wow... that site just looks like one of those big VPN providers that make you feel like you are getting an amazing deal but you just get shitty service.
    They also have the timer that makes you think that you have to buy before it runs out but when it actually hits 0 it just resets.

• ehabehab Member

@vovler said:

@ehab said:

great signature, may I use it as well and add "never buy anything lifetime when it comes to hosting/storage, it's just a surprise expiration date, maybe in a few years, maybe tomorrow"?

sure, will you include

🍆

?

Thanked by 1kdh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@srch07 said:

@niranjan said:

They are shit, you can't even use half the ram they claim you have.
    Try utilizing more than 50% of ram and your applications will fail.

According to their name, the RAM is actually swapfile stored on SSD.

• pkrpkr Member

I am an SSDNodes customer for ~5 years. You get a lower price only when you pay for 3 years in advance. As mentioned by others, resources are over-provisioned except for the Texas location (It's my personal experience). However, their nodes are very stable; I rarely had any downtime or other issues. I checked my tickets, and the last support ticket I created was ~20 months ago. CPU is shared, but no stealing. They may not allow you to use all RAM allocated to your VPS. Some cronjob does that magic for SSDNodes. All disk space is yours.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Avoid SSDNodes at all costs.

• rdesrdes Member

When it comes to SSD Nodes I would say what you pay is what you get...
    One of my VPSes with them has a maximum upload of 40-50 Mbps (sometimes even worse), the other is much better when it comes to network speed but crashes once every two weeks (no ping, it's unaccessible even by VNC console - just blank screen, no response to keyboard and I can only do a reboot to fix this).
    Their support told me that I have excessive usage and server is hanging because of that (but load is 99% time below 1 and I have 12 cores).
    On the plus side, there's IPv6, large disk capacity, snapshot backup, and it's cheap.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@pkr said: except for the Texas location

Must be why I love it, and use it in production every day. Granted, not for something irreplaceable, but production regardless.

Thanked by 2pkr scooke
  • " Assign an IPv4 to your server "... its extra for an ip address?

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited July 2023

The catch is they disallow many more use cases than the average VPS provider, and enforce use of their OS images and especially enforce keeping memory balloon enabled

In other words they are overprovisioning RAM and disk, and privacy is lacking

• davidedavide Member

How does the performance of swap on SSD compare to swap on /dev/zram?

• @niranjan said:

Hell of a deal.. they are in business for 12 years now.

• @darkimmortal said: privacy is lacking

What do you mean by "privacy" here?

• aliletalilet Member

Is SSDNodes good if your only use case is to host WordPress blogs? Or even WordPress will not work properly and will throttle?

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2023

SSD Nodes is the Robinhood of VPS hosts. Sure, they're cheap and "sexy", but they're hot garbage.

Why didn't Fidelity go out of business? Because Robinhood can't improve their dang support or app. And in turn, most people who want a brokerage account take Fidelity, Schwab, TD, E*Trade, Merrill, et al.

In fact, a search suggestion was "transferring from robinhood to fidelity". If Robinhood was so much "better", then why are RH customers moving to Fidelity and not the other way around? The only thing Robinhood did do good was kill trading commissions, but now Robinhood knows they can't compete so they're trying to become PayPal and buying X1, an Amex wannabe with a subsequent lack of customer support.

SSD Nodes is no different: overhypes their product, but then undersells. And in turn, people use DO, Vultr, Linode, OVH, Hetzner, and LET hosts because they're generally better than SN.

There's nothing wrong with a fresh approach, look at high interest savings accounts, or innovative MVNOs like Mint, or even new fashion and tech brands. But that's still no reason to cut back on service massively like SSD Nodes or Robinhood did.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • aliletalilet Member

@alilet said:
    Is SSDNodes good if your only use case is to host WordPress blogs? Or even WordPress will not work properly and will throttle?

I think I got answer to my question:

https://www.trustpilot.com/users/5efb159fddda416a2cdd0287

• kdhkdh Member
    edited July 2023

Seems like this guy's been using "cloud" hosting services since the 386 ages :blush:

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • niranjanniranjan Member
    edited July 2023

@alilet said:

@alilet said:

Sign up for Oracle Free Tier or AWS Free Tier. More than capable to handle multiple wordpress sites. I'm hosting around 10~15 sites on Oracle A1, 4 Arm Cores 24gb memory. Everything runs buttery smooth. Pair it with Cloudfront, your sites will load within milliseconds.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • My word, that ssdnodes.com website is AIDS.

• aliletalilet Member

@niranjan said:

@alilet said:

@alilet said:

Sign up for Oracle Free Tier or AWS Free Tier. More than capable to handle multiple wordpress sites. I'm hosting around 10~15 sites on Oracle A1, 4 Arm Cores 24gb memory. Everything runs buttery smooth. Pair it with Cloudfront, your sites will load within milliseconds.

Could not find any VM/VPS in AWS Always Free tier. But found one in 12 months free tier.

• Their pricing is like a "ponzi scheme" :neutral:

• @sidewinder said:
    " Assign an IPv4 to your server "... its extra for an ip address?

They charge $18/year for an IPv4 address now. I think it's a recent change. I think more and more providers will start doing this in the next few years, if they haven't already increased their prices to cover the cost.

• rdesrdes Member

They must have started doing it recently but if someone doesn't need ipv4 will pay less now.
    I didn't have such a choice when buing my VPS in march, and my yearly price is 219$ for KVM / 2X-LARGE, and now it costs the same with IPv4 address and 191$ without one.

It's similar to how new providers can't really do low-cost tiers anymore, like a modern version of BuyVM's 128MB plan: IPv4 is too expensive but still essential. IPv4 depletion doesn't care if you're a Y Combinator backed startup or some self-funded mom-and-pop LET host like me.

If we were in an all-IPv6 world, I would an 1.5GB Extra Small plan or something like that.

I was fortunate enough to get a "free" /24 from ARIN, that in 2023. But many other newer competitors aren't, they have to lease and/or buy IPv4.

• @neel_qeru said:
    It's similar to how new providers can't really do low-cost tiers anymore, like a modern version of BuyVM's 128MB plan: IPv4 is too expensive but still essential. IPv4 depletion doesn't care if you're a Y Combinator backed startup or some self-funded mom-and-pop LET host like me.

If we were in an all-IPv6 world, I would an 1.5GB Extra Small plan or something like that.

I was fortunate enough to get a "free" /24 from ARIN, that in 2023. But many other newer competitors aren't, they have to lease and/or buy IPv4.

There's always NAT although that comes with it's own issues

@szymonp said:
    There's always NAT although that comes with it's own issues

And there's a reason why NAT VPSes aren't very popular: it's too much of a compromise.