Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seedboxes vs big storage VPSes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seedboxes vs big storage VPSes?

Hi, recently I have seen a lot of seedbox deals on LET, which offers extremely fast networking and large storage, for a tempting price.
I wonder what's the difference between these seedboxes (assume I have root access) and those regular big storage VPSes?

Comments

• edited July 2023

Some seedboxes are not actually VPS and you share the node with others and can view their processes. Otherwise they are both just VMs on a machine with a ToS attached.

Seedboxes generally have a higher compute and bandwidth demand because of the applications they are oriented towards. You can generally expect noisier neighbours on those machines. They are geared towards maximum disk IOPS, and I see far more RAID 0 configurations on seedboxes than storage VPS providers.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2023

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Some seedboxes are not actually VPS and you share the node with others and can view their processes.

This kind of reminds me of when EggDrop, IRC bouncers etc was in style but of course those things weren't very bandwidth intensive.

Thanks for the explanation, I always wondered what the difference was since I don't own any so have no experience with them and I'm too afraid to run a seedbox.

• Most of the time when you buy a seedbox, you are just a user on dedicated server with access to a control panel that allows you to install various docker applications. It's great for people who want an easy setup for torrenting and media streaming. Very few seedboxes give you access to Root. If they give you access to Root, you are paying for VDS.

Seedboxes can offer super fast networking and storage because they are using super high end servers that are shared with a super small amount of users but there are some you have to be careful of where they oversell it.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • ifreakifreak Member

@risharde said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Some seedboxes are not actually VPS and you share the node with others and can view their processes.

This kind of reminds me of when EggDrop, IRC bouncers etc was in style but of course those things weren't very bandwidth intensive.

Thanks for the explanation, I always wondered what the difference was since I don't own any so have no experience with them and I'm too afraid to run a seedbox.

It's a pretty fun experience. You can help the open source projects with torrents and such.

Usually it's a managed service where you get specific software targeted to sharing files, with web interfaces, sometimes VPN and basic shell access. Speeds are 10Gb+ at the right places with large volume networks instead of generic low latency purpose

• same thing i need to know. Is seedbox is same as normal vps where i can setup my nginx,php,mysql etc etc?

• @bdspice said:
    same thing i need to know. Is seedbox is same as normal vps where i can setup my nginx,php,mysql etc etc?

No. seedbox provider will see those as liability.
    whatever you get from seedbox are just a web ui for torrent activity (usually using rtorrent ro sometimes aria2 as backend), and web ui for file management of your downloaded files. rsync / ftp interface might be available as bonus.

if you want to install anything, get a vps.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2023

@bdspice said:
    same thing i need to know. Is seedbox is same as normal vps where i can setup my nginx,php,mysql etc etc?

A seedbox is built just to be a seedbox. Imagine how a shared hosting plan is built for hosting and nothing else (like running your own software); just like that a seedbox is built for torrenting and nothing else. On a seedbox you have everything there: a web panel where you manage your torrents.

For torrenting I recommend a seedbox instead of a VPS, because seedbox is better built for that purpose (torrenting), in terms of bandwidth and storage speeds. With a seedbox you just order the service and immediately get to deploy your torrents - because all the software needed is already there.

• VoidVoid Member

Big storage VPSs often have less RAM, weak CPUs, slower speeds, restrictions on I/O, and, most importantly, very few of them allow copyrighted content. So if you're looking to download and seed torrents, set up a media server, etc., storage VPSs won't be an ideal option. On the other hand, a seedbox is built and optimized specifically considering the factors mentioned above. As others have mentioned, some seedboxes allow root access, which means you basically get the best of both VPS and seedbox.

• Seedboxes often don't give you root access or a dedicated IP in exchange for being optimized for torrents and being usually cheaper than a comparable DMCA-ignored VPS