Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


NexusBytes/SmallWeb Email Closure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes/SmallWeb Email Closure

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I expect that not all NexusBytes/SmallWeb email service users signed up with legitimate email addresses, especially after reviewing them. However, a hefty portion of them view this forum. So I wanted to post my email to those users here, in case any of them missed it.

Hey friend,

I am writing this to you as the owner/operator of MXroute LLC. NexusBytes (who acquired SmallWeb in 2021) has silently ceased operation. NexusBytes sold email services that were part of a reseller agreement with MXroute. Their invoices have only been paid by account credit we extended them to protect your service while we tried to negotiate with them to keep your service. All attempts to reach its owner have been silent for several months. We don't know your account details with them other than that their billing software included your email address when provisioning your service on our servers. We felt that someone owed you more than to discard your service silently. If no one else takes on that job, we'll do it.

On December 1st of 2023, all resold services from NexusBytes (and their acquisition, SmallWeb), will be terminated. We would love to have you as customers of MXroute but we will not be making any promotional offers for this, nor will we provide any migration assistance. We wanted to notify you of the coming events and give you time to work out your situation.

I am very sorry that we couldn't negotiate a transition, or anything for that matter, with the owner of NexusBytes. I hope your service will have been extended for more time than you paid for, but whether or not that is true is outside of my knowledge or ability to influence.

Kind Regards,
Jarland Donnell
MXroute Administrator

«1

Comments

  • I was waiting for this.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

    Welp time to finally migrate my less used e-mail, and change everything over.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

    This was unavoidable. I think the way you handled it was pretty good though. Rip Smallweb q.q

    Thanked by 3jar moodwriter adly
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

    Thanked by 2jar equalz
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2023

    I also noticed that Nahian is no longer listed on my Facebook friend list and that his profile photo changed not long ago. If I suspected this was a case of the reseller dying or something unavoidable, I might have gone further in my creative attempt to protect the customers. Instead, it seems to me that this is intentional avoidance.

    I can empathize with external situations, perhaps driving a person to want to avoid them. Still, I will message you all from my deathbed to tell you who you'll be hearing from in my absence. Simply choosing to ignore everyone and let things fall as they may, that I consider an unforgivable action in business.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nahian's next business should be avoided. If you're alive and have at least 1 finger left to type with, people who paid you money deserve at the very least a "This is why you're never going to hear from me again."

  • @jar said: Nahian is no longer listed on my Facebook friend list and that his profile photo changed not long ago

    dangg dude blocked you? Thats rough.

    Does anyone know what happened tho? It was a good business why would he just leave it and run

    Thanked by 2jar yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

    @jar said:
    I also noticed that Nahian is no longer listed on my Facebook friend list and that his profile photo changed not long ago. If I suspected this was a case of the reseller dying or something unavoidable, I might have gone further in my creative attempt to protect the customers. Instead, it seems to me that this is intentional avoidance.

    I can empathize with external situations, perhaps driving a person to want to avoid them. Still, I will message you all from my deathbed to tell you who you'll be hearing from in my absence. Simply choosing to ignore everyone and let things fall as they may, that I consider an unforgivable action in business.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nahian's next business should be avoided. If you're alive and have at least 1 finger left to type with, people who paid you money deserve at the very least a "This is why you're never going to hear from me again."

    Don't feel bad. He blocked me after I commented on a photo saying something like, "Hey man, long time no see. I hope you're well."

    Dude is still watching Plex, too. -_-

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    This is Bob. Bob has been evicted by jarlandlord.

    Thanked by 2jar dahartigan
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

    @jar said:
    I also noticed that Nahian is no longer listed on my Facebook friend list and that his profile photo changed not long ago. If I suspected this was a case of the reseller dying or something unavoidable, I might have gone further in my creative attempt to protect the customers. Instead, it seems to me that this is intentional avoidance.

    I can empathize with external situations, perhaps driving a person to want to avoid them. Still, I will message you all from my deathbed to tell you who you'll be hearing from in my absence. Simply choosing to ignore everyone and let things fall as they may, that I consider an unforgivable action in business.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nahian's next business should be avoided. If you're alive and have at least 1 finger left to type with, people who paid you money deserve at the very least a "This is why you're never going to hear from me again."

    I completely agree with this. The lack of anything I would suggest everyone avoid. I know quite a few good companies offered to buy and keep things running and improve them. I feel like people got taken advantage of here. Now I don't know the whole story nor do I really care at the end of the day I could die in a fire and our team take care of our customers. Even if this happen 15+ years ago when it was just a few of us someone would have at the least let our clients know and not leave them hanging.

    Feels like a big FU to everyone even those who did a lot of helping on the side.

    Thanked by 2jar adly
  • emghemgh Member

    Very nice of you to keep them up for so long

    This was unavoidable

    You have the emgh signature of moral acceptance

    Thanked by 3jar Erisa raindog308
  • _MS__MS_ Member

    Don't be a Bob, be a Jar instead.

  • PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited July 2023

    Thanks for letting us know. I have a 50GB account with them, and tried desperately to get in touch with them to pay for its renewal but no luck as well. My service should have ended in January and I see that it's still active. I have migrated my stuff already to MXroute account that I bought last Black Friday.

    I really appreciate giving us an entire year. You really didn't have to do this and pay for it out of your own pocket. I'm willing to pay for this additional period, so please let me know how.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2023

    @jar Why not help with the migrations and gain customers? Is it too much work / support to do that? (like verification of who owns the email address etc?)

    As for Nexusbytes, what disturbs me the most is that the owner was super friendly and had won over many on LET which was a good thing - like that's a seriously tough thing to have won the hearts of so many legitimately.

    What extra disturbs me is if him disappearing was indeed a mental issue - it just shows the great importance of how important the mind is in the balance of a person's life.

    With that being expressed, maybe he did make a good decision to leave it all behind as much as it might have affected hundreds if not thousands of people. Hard to judge wrong and right and I dare not even want to put myself near those shoes because of how this turned out. It might not sound scary to most but it sounds very scary to me.

    P.S I would likely sacrifice in ways I wouldn't now if I felt so appreciated. I would feel rather accomplished if I were to build a company that people loved using the products and suplementing my income (maybe it gets boring after doing it for years - who knows.)

    Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2023

    @risharde said: Why not help with the migrations and gain customers? Is it too much work / support to do that? (like verification of who owns the email address etc?)

    The customers had an agreement with someone who wasn't me, and I can no longer predict how Nahian might react to me violating his customer's privacy any further as he isn't acting rationally. It's also only about 160 or so users, most of which are inactive. So many of the active ones were most likely such cheap promotions that the expense of resources on their behalf wouldn't pay for themselves for a decade or more. Best option is really just to call it a day and give everyone generous notice. Being such a lean operation we're always stretched thin, and I owe most of my resources to my direct customers.

  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

    @jar said:

    @risharde said: Why not help with the migrations and gain customers? Is it too much work / support to do that? (like verification of who owns the email address etc?)

    The customers had an agreement with someone who wasn't me, and I can no longer predict how Nahian might react to me violating his customer's privacy any further as he isn't acting rationally. It's also only about 160 or so users, most of which are inactive. So many of the active ones were most likely such cheap promotions that the expense of resources on their behalf wouldn't pay for themselves for a decade or more. Best option is really just to call it a day and give everyone generous notice. Being such a lean operation we're always stretched thin, and I owe most of my resources to my direct customers.

    Indeed. Not fair to take over their customers. Legally you can't do that. Thank you for being a nice guy.

  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2023

    @jar said:

    @risharde said: Why not help with the migrations and gain customers? Is it too much work / support to do that? (like verification of who owns the email address etc?)

    The customers had an agreement with someone who wasn't me, and I can no longer predict how Nahian might react to me violating his customer's privacy any further as he isn't acting rationally. It's also only about 160 or so users, most of which are inactive. So many of the active ones were most likely such cheap promotions that the expense of resources on their behalf wouldn't pay for themselves for a decade or more. Best option is really just to call it a day and give everyone generous notice. Being such a lean operation we're always stretched thin, and I owe most of my resources to my direct customers.

    Oh! I learnt something new, that makes sense, didn't think about it in that angle! Thanks for educating me!

    Thanked by 2jar msallak1
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

    That's quite unfortunate.

    He seemed like a good guy. One of the provider I truly liked.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2023

    mans said ight it’s been fun and dipped off into the sunset with a full steam library

  • @SirFoxy said:
    mans said ight it’s been fun and dipped off into the sunset with a full steam library

    And he's finna play them all

  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

    @SirFoxy said:
    mans said ight it’s been fun and dipped off into the sunset with a full steam library

    Even if you meant that seriously, you made it sound funny and just the best thing to do lol

    Thanked by 2jar SirFoxy
  • LisoLiso Member

    Serious question, who is this Nahian guy?

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

    @Liso said:
    Serious question, who is this Nahian guy?

    "You are part of the Nexus Bytes family and we only want the best for our family"

  • his depression medication were M&Ms

    Thanked by 2mrTom msallak1
  • @Jord what happened in the end?

  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited July 2023

    @cybertech said:
    @Jord what happened in the end?

    To this day I’m still not sure, he never reached out to me or replied. I tried everything I had at my disposal to try and reach him, all we nada back.

  • defaultdefault Veteran

    To NexusBytes:

    Thanked by 1Marx
  • Maybe procrastination, I kind of understand if that's the case.

  • pkrpkr Member

    I think Mr. Bob went to Mars. As long as NB was alive, it was great.

    Thanked by 2yoursunny bdl
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2023

    @pkr said:
    I think Mr. Bob went to Mars. As long as NB was alive, it was great.

    And then it turned from "great" into "scam", without any warning or any message. One can send a message even from Mars nowadays.

    Thanked by 1Marx
This discussion has been closed.