Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo NO Setup Fee
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo NO Setup Fee

Recently, i got an e-mail from Contabo. They celebrate 20th anniversary and removed all setup fee for 20 hours. Their VPS's are not the best but its ok for ram, disk /price point.

Marking 20 years of Contabo: Check out the best promotions we've ever offered
Celebrate our anniversary 🥳 No Setup Fee for all servers for the next 20 hours

https://contabo.com/en

Thanked by 1chiccorosso

Comments

• srch07srch07 Member

Hmm... so what shall we do about that. :smiley:

I am a happy customer from them for past 3 years.
    However, Contabo's servers are a gamble, you can end up on good one or a really shitty one.

Oh and my SSD one performs better than their NVME version.

• ZreindZreind Member

@srch07 said:
    Hmm... so what shall we do about that. :smiley:

I am a happy customer from them for past 3 years.
    However, Contabo's servers are a gamble, you can end up on good one or a really shitty one.

Oh and my SSD one performs better than their NVME version.

You don't have to do anything. I wanted to let people know about this. Some people might want to buy and its time to do it because setup fee is 2x the server price. You get 1 month free.

• andaanda Member

No setup fee + €0 in all regions would be best :D

• ZreindZreind Member

@anda said:
    No setup fee + €0 in all regions would be best :D

Yeah, but you get 30TB traffic in Japan and Singapore for 7-8 euro. I think its great.

• tsofttsoft Member

selling your passport scan and address proof for no setup fee...

• srch07srch07 Member

@tsoft said:
    selling your passport scan and address proof for no setup fee...

You don't have to provide either of them.
    Register yourself a company ;)

• tsofttsoft Member

@srch07 said:

Kidding?

1. A scan of your passport, driving license, or national identity card.
    2. A scan of your telephone, electricity, or any other utility bill as long as it contains your name and your address.
  • amsaalamsaal Member

@tsoft said:

@srch07 said:

Kidding?

2. A scan of your telephone, electricity, or any other utility bill as long as it contains your name and your address.

i was not asked and have account vps ready in 5 minutes :) just slow network but the engineers fixing / diagnosing it

• srch07srch07 Member

@tsoft said:

@srch07 said:

Kidding?

Nope not kidding.
    I just gave them my company's identity document, to prove company is legal and properly registered.
    Same with OVH, Hetzner, Netcup and providers on LET.

No one asks beyond that, and if they do. I say get lost, because there is a reason company exists, to shield from personal liability.

Thanked by 2tsoft alilet
  • @srch07 said: Contabo's servers are a gamble, you can end up on good one or a really shitty one.

Precisely this. Therefore Contablows.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • tsofttsoft Member

@srch07 said:

Thank you ))

They did not lost :D

In Hetzner, OVH I provided passport... because dedicated servers, cloud

But here... for just vps, average quality they want so much

At least, ovh and hetzner only wanted passport. These want proof of address. This is insane. PayPal wants it, ok.. but hosting provider...

• had 2 vps's with contabo over the last few years, the worst I have ever purchased. It wouldn't be so bad, but the customer service is terrible too.

Contabo ethos: sell under performing products, when the customer complains punish them by delaying refunds and make them pay for the delay.

That's my experience anyway.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

Wait, are we talking about setup fee's on vps? As in Virtual Private Server?

On a dedicated I get it, absolutely, but I am not paying for deploying a virtual server, there is no way that is not fully automated.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@tsoft said:
    At least, ovh and hetzner only wanted passport. These want proof of address. This is insane. PayPal wants it, ok.. but hosting provider...

Contabo is german, GDPR and KYC is strong.
    And in a way, I get it. I would not like to do business with someone that does not want me to know their name.

• adnsadns Member

@rcy026 said:
    Wait, are we talking about setup fee's on vps? As in Virtual Private Server?

On a dedicated I get it, absolutely, but I am not paying for deploying a virtual server, there is no way that is not fully automated.

Yes, questionable practice but I think that it is an extra income for Contabo. It impulses the customer to subscribe and pre-pay for a longer period. On 12 month subscription they remove setup fee or 0 setup fee times (e.g. now) they give discount. A stable customer better than an one-month subscriber. Netcup has questionable practice too with their billing and contracts, however, their quality unbeatable on their prices.

• hanoihanoi Member

I'm not interest because they cap the network at 200Mbps with $12/month (Singapore).
    OVH, Vultr, DigitalOcean and many others are better at that price.

• @rcy026 said:
    And in a way, I get it. I would not like to do business with someone that does not want me to know their name.

Contaboo is not for me then🤮

• emghemgh Member

@malignify said: Contablows

Contablows vs. CrackNerd

• Im a happy customer...of other hosts :D

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited July 2023

@rcy026 said:

What use of this if they anyway host spammers?

Any random spam, this IP is Contabo Germany and listed in Spamhaus
    https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/?searchterm=144.91.64.96

So they still keep this spammer anyway :D
    Why check all these documents @contabo_m

• @hanoi said:
    I'm not interest because they cap the network at 200Mbps with $12/month (Singapore).
    OVH, Vultr, DigitalOcean and many others are better at that price.

It's not the speed of the port, it's how much you can use. Contabo comes with far more egress than those other providers are willing to offer.

• I previously ordered a US VPS from Contabo, and it works great considering its price. However, after receiving a promotion email stating there would be no location fee, I decided to make another purchase for a Singapore VPS. Unfortunately, the VPS did not perform as well as I had hoped. The latency from my location was over 400ms, whereas it should typically be under 50ms for a Singapore DigitalOcean VPS. As a result, I had to cancel the service and request a refund.

• It seems they have removed the location fees, but the setup fees are still there! I don't know for how long they will be valid!