Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ASK] Mix SSD and SAS Drive on RAID
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ASK] Mix SSD and SAS Drive on RAID

I have DELL R630 server with 6 SAS Drive installed on RAID 10 configuration.

Is that possible in case one of the SAS Drive got damage, I replace with SSD Drive of course with same capacity or even larger. I'm aware of the speed performance of the SSD will be degraded.

I also want to change all the SAS Drive with SSD Drive in the future.. My plan is to replace one drive each time then rebuild the RAID and so on until the all SAS Drive replaced with the SSD Drive.

Is that possible to be done?
Thank you.

Comments

• sunnygsunnyg Member

Depends on what you used to setup the RAID. Most hardware raid cards are quite finicky and require identical drives. Mdadm for linux on the other hand is much more flexible. With mdadm, as long as the new drive (ssd or sas) is the same size or bigger, it can be added to the array.

• It's using PERC H730 mini as the RAID card.

Maybe anyone have experience or information whether this can be done?
    Thanks..

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    It's using PERC H730 mini as the RAID card.

Maybe anyone have experience or information whether this can be done?
    Thanks..

Are you actually using HW RAID or just HBA/passthrough for mdadm? As @sunnyg said, it definitely would work with mdadm. Hardware raid would be such a pita I would not even start there if you haven't already.

• Ok... Thank you all for the information..

• Try unraid

• mintalhunmintalhun Member
    edited July 2023

[spam]

Mod edit (angstrom): deleted

• Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2023

@mintalhun said:
    [spam]

Are you lost brother?

Mod edit (angstrom): deleted in quote