Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How/When do you know a VPS upgrade is needed for self host app as traffic increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How/When do you know a VPS upgrade is needed for self host app as traffic increase

momomomomomo Member

trying to sell some hand-made products online, after choosing an ecommerce tool. start starting out, it is host on "lowEnd" VPS and cloudflare cdn. yes hopping it will get more traffic eventually. so how do you guys test to know a VPS upgrade is needed for self host app as traffic increase?

Comments

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2023

When you start pushing more than 60-70% of the $resouce consistently (CPU/RAM/Storage/Network).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • When the provider says you are impacting neighbors on a shared service.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • When you start getting these notifications. :neutral:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I never upgrade my VPS, because upgrades would void all discounts.
    I monitor user experience metrics and use those to optimize.
    I can either optimize software, or buy more servers in more locations.

• momomomomomo Member

@plumberg said:
    When the provider says you are impacting neighbors on a shared service.

that sounds reasonable. but bro do you think it really is practical? (no hate, just trying to make the most of the the vps baby)

• @yoursunny said:
    I never upgrade my VPS, because upgrades would void all discounts.
    I monitor user experience metrics and use those to optimize.
    I can either optimize software, or buy more servers in more locations.

With Dunkin nitro cold brew, you can both optimize software AND buy more servers in more locations at the same time!

This post was sponsored by Dunkin'®

• @momomo said:

@plumberg said:
    When the provider says you are impacting neighbors on a shared service.

that sounds reasonable. but bro do you think it really is practical? (no hate, just trying to make the most of the the vps baby)

Of course no. You need to monitor resources, response times, SLA is getting impacted in any way. Monitor the usage of resources and see if something is becoming a bottleneck.

One needs to be proactive (easier said than done.)