Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acronis as Backup for KVM Node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acronis as Backup for KVM Node

UmairUmair Member

Hi Guys,

Anyone here using Acronis Cyber Protect for backing up their KVM node (or KVM VPS?)
Where are your getting the license for a small setup? And which license will you need? Can you run it on a KVM node (and backup all VPS?) or do you need to set it up for individual VPSs?

I have one KVM node with like 10 VPS (But lots of data). I am considering to use Acronis as an other backup layer for backing them up. (Using my own storage server)

I have tried to connect with Acronis a few times but they haven't gotten back to me.
I am guessing for a small setup like this, I will need to go with a partner or reseller. But I am not sure who is out there.

Anyone here any insight on this? Or recommendations ??
I know other backup setup and I am using/testing them but want to use something that can help me restore the whole VPS/Node in case shit hits the fan.

Thanks

Comments

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Hi @Umair ,

Would be happy to have a discussion with you , we are Acronis Partners, ill drop you a message to see if we can help you in anyway

Thanked by 1Umair
  • conXtconXt Member

Yes, I use it for backing up entire Proxmox and Virtfusion hosts. You can run the acronis software within a VPS and backup to that VPS - I did it when I first tested Acronis but have upgraded to a dedicated storage server for it now.
    You can grab a license from CloudEvo - They are great. Any issues feel free to reach out.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Look at inty, they do per GB licensing, no server fee. So you can use it on loads of servers and just pay storage.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • TerranodeTerranode Member, Patron Provider

Hello, some time ago I used to sell Acronis, and I don't remember exactly, but I think it had the option to create an image backup of an entire Virtualizor server. I am currently in the process of setting up backups with Acronis for nodes, as in one or two months I will be undergoing a major restructuring in my company. However, Acronis doesn't sell directly, you have to contact a partner to make the purchase.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

We use a Combination of Wasabi & Acronis for our Virtfusion backups

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

Just checking it again .. Anyone who is using "Acronis", how are your experience??

I know R1soft has their share of problems, but when I was using it back in the day, it always worked for me. But I haven't found a solution that worked like it with a reasonable pricing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2023

@Umair said:
    Just checking it again .. Anyone who is using "Acronis", how are your experience??

I know R1soft has their share of problems, but when I was using it back in the day, it always worked for me. But I haven't found a solution that worked like it with a reasonable pricing.

My experience on shared nodes has been pretty shit to be blunt.

Backups aren't grouped in anyway for easy restoring after they're terminated, and if you want to restore a single file for a user you have to use their cloud hosted file browser that lazy loads everything. This means if you have a busy shared node with 1000 - 2000 users, you're going to be scrolling for quite some time because not only does it only load 50~75 entries at a time, the list isn't sorted either.

The kernel drivers also pretty unstable/buggy. Of the 7 nodes we deployed it to, only 1 actually did differential block backups (what makes Acronis backups fast). Every other node insisted on doing full array scans. All were setup at the same time, all running the same kernel.

As of now we've swapped things to Jetbackups as they've fixed all the big bugs they had on DA. It works great and backups quite fast considering the latency. I've fairly sure if it was backing up to a node in the same location it'd be 2x~3x faster.

Francisco

Thanked by 1xyl0n
  • I’ve always liked the idea of a full hypervisor backup. Your main concern is the consistency of the ever changing virtual data. It’s why we decided on a disaster recovery solution for VF - Hosts were just running an rsync every so often and that’s not really a solution. It just leads to unusable data.