Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Austrian VPS, that is not blocked by ORF
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Austrian VPS, that is not blocked by ORF

wedge1001wedge1001 Member
edited July 2023 in Requests

Hi,
This is my first real post here, I hope I will do everything right.

I’m looking for a small VPS, that allows me to watch ORF.at without the geo-restriciton.
That means, I want to install my own VPN.

I am looking for a VPS
somewhere in Austria (the one with the Sachertorte and not with the kangaroos)
1x vCPU
1GB RAM
20GB HDD
1TB traffic
KVM (would be nice, so I can install by own OS)
Budget: ~10$ / month

Since I’m using this only for myself, 1 TB is actually overkill.

I tried:
netcup (blocked everywhere)
Alwyzon (blocked by ORF, works for other sites)
Edis (blocked everywhere)
Some, I forgot…

Thanks!

Comments

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

Have you tried @hosthatch they have AT, Vienna VPS.

Looking glass: http://lg.vie.hosthatch.com/

Thanked by 1wedge1001
  • Have you tried oracle free? With mine i can unlock services in swiss.. I tried to watch live on orf.at with surfshark vpn and it was working fine. KeepSolid and Ivacy failed.

• HosteroidHosteroid Member, Patron Provider

Hello @wedge1001
    What do you think about this: https://vie-lg.hosteroid.uk/ ?
    We have both Zayo and nLayer ISPs and we are in Vienna :blush:

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2023

@febryanvaldo said: Have you tried @hosthatch they have AT, Vienna VPS.

I just tested it via HH .at vps vpn.
    I can open orf.at webpage (most likely everyone can), but can't watch videos.

Thanked by 1wedge1001
  • @Mumbly said: I just tested it via HH .at vps vpn.
    I can open orf.at webpage (most likely everyone can), but can't watch videos.

Hmmm. I don't know about it.

• geo-restriction is so stupid practice...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2023

@moodwriter said:
    geo-restriction is so stupid practice...

It has nothing to do with stupid practise most of the time but with purchased broadcasting rights.
    As example ORF (Austrian national public broadcaster) most likely don't have rights to broadcast Formula 1 outside of Austria.

• Why they bother to block Austria's ip then? Technically it is in Austria.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Have you looked into residential proxies instead? They bounce you off some local ISP or 4G provider.

• xx00xxxx00xx Member
    edited July 2023
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@moodwriter said:
    Why they bother to block Austria's ip then? Technically it is in Austria.

Basically, it's Austrian residential IPs that they want to allow

They want to exclude Austrian datacenter IPs

Thanked by 1wedge1001
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@moodwriter said:
    geo-restriction is so stupid practice...

Methinks geo-restriction should never be placed on IP addresses.
    Instead, viewers must download the mobile / TV app, which acquires GPS coordinates.
    This ensures domestic content stays domestic, no impact from IP changing hands.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

Random rant about IP geo:

The Betfair API works best om UK & Ireland IPs

Their API block most other countries

I had to order like 15-20 IPs on OVH with UK as country until their geo ip provider finally thought my IP was UK and not France or Germany

So I think it’s safe to say that IP geo databases are outdated as fuck and there must be a huge amount of false positives

One large phone carrier in Sweden recetly had a problem; one of their ranges was blocked from Swedish national TV for being from outside of Sweden..

Either it’s @yoursunny ’s idea with GPS coordinates (even if this can be faked as well of course) or it’s something else but basing location off of IPs is clearly not working

• mrTommrTom Member

@yoursunny said:
    Instead, viewers must download the mobile / TV app, which acquires GPS coordinates.

You know that its really easy to fake GPS coordinates?

• cochoncochon Member

@mrTom said:

@yoursunny said:

And quite a difficult task for most TV's :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@mrTom said:

@yoursunny said:

Injecting a fake GPS coordinates on Android requires enabling the developer mode and connecting adb.
    The app can detect that adb connection exists and refuse to start three playback.

• toohietoohie Member

@yoursunny said:

@mrTom said:

@yoursunny said:

Injecting a fake GPS coordinates on Android requires enabling the developer mode and connecting adb.
    The app can detect that adb connection exists and refuse to start three playback.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need adb though. Simply enabling dev mode should work (and then using some random app to do the spoofing)

• @emgh said:
    Random rant about IP geo:

The Betfair API works best om UK & Ireland IPs

Their API block most other countries

I had to order like 15-20 IPs on OVH with UK as country until their geo ip provider finally thought my IP was UK and not France or Germany

So I think it’s safe to say that IP geo databases are outdated as fuck and there must be a huge amount of false positives

One large phone carrier in Sweden recetly had a problem; one of their ranges was blocked from Swedish national TV for being from outside of Sweden..

Either it’s @yoursunny ’s idea with GPS coordinates (even if this can be faked as well of course) or it’s something else but basing location off of IPs is clearly not working

to be fair ISP IP's rarely change hands

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • wedge1001wedge1001 Member
    edited July 2023

@emperor said:
    Have you tried oracle free? With mine i can unlock services in swiss.. I tried to watch live on orf.at with surfshark vpn and it was working fine. KeepSolid and Ivacy failed.

i don't find the possibility in oracle-cloud to deploy something in austria.
    there is swiss and i found germany, but no austria.

@Hosteroid said:
    Hello @wedge1001
    What do you think about this: https://vie-lg.hosteroid.uk/ ?
    We have both Zayo and nLayer ISPs and we are in Vienna :blush:

will try.
    edit seems like no VPS systems are available :/

@m4nu said:
    Have you looked into residential proxies instead? They bounce you off some local ISP or 4G provider.

I tried, but did not find a service that somehow looked dependable :/

Thanks for your input.
    I will also try easyname and ipax

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@wedge1001 said: I tried, but did not find a service that somehow looked dependable

iproyal[.]com has Austrian residential proxies for $4/month. That should be some local ISP.

Thanked by 1wedge1001
  • I know you are looking for VPS but for what its worth, controld dns unblocks it.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@emgh said:

Oh, you don't have to tell me about that. Big customer bought a ddos solution and decided to also implement geo-blocking for remote workers. We did the setup exactly according to their specifications. If from Sweden, pass trough. From Europe, require 2FA. Everything else just block.
    The following day, somewhere around 3000 employees could not login via vpn. The entire organisation bought every sim from a phone carrier that used ip-ranges with a geolocation that pointed to a small Asian country.
    I'm guessing we are talking about the same provider here. :smile:

Thanked by 1emgh
  • wedge1001wedge1001 Member
    edited July 2023

@islandmike said:
    I know you are looking for VPS but for what its worth, controld dns unblocks it.

I take, what i can get to get it working.
    Did you check this yourself? i do have my own DNS-Cluster, so a simple change in the upstream should not be a problem here.

• islandmikeislandmike Member
    edited July 2023

@wedge1001 said:

@islandmike said:
    I know you are looking for VPS but for what its worth, controld dns unblocks it.

I take, what i can get to get it working.
    Did you check this yourself? i do have my own DNS-Cluster, so a simple change in the upstream should not be a problem here.

Yes, I confirmed it before posting here, unfortunately it won't screenshot. Just shows a black screen.

Thanked by 1wedge1001
  • @islandmike said:

Yes, I confirmed it before posting here, unfortunately it won't screenshot. Just shows a black screen.

I singed up for the trial.
    with mobile data it looks like i get like 5seconds of video and then it stops.
    Sometimes audio keeps playing.
    Will try it at home with a "normal" connection.

Thank you.

• You're welcome, hope it works out for you. Left it playing for around 20min here and it was fine. Didn't try on mobile.

@wedge1001 said:

@islandmike said:

I singed up for the trial.
    with mobile data it looks like i get like 5seconds of video and then it stops.
    Sometimes audio keeps playing.
    Will try it at home with a "normal" connection.

Thank you.

Thanked by 1wedge1001