Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Hostodo (NVMEK3MIA) seems to be having disk issues :(
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostodo (NVMEK3MIA) seems to be having disk issues :(

twhiting9275twhiting9275 Member
edited July 2023 in Outages

It seems that NVMEK3MIA in Miami is having some disk issues at the moment

Was recompiling dovecot on one server, got locked out. Waited, Rebooted, happened again.

All of the sudden alarms went off for all servers on the node (6). Zabbix agent down. No load alarms, memory usage, or anything else. Just Zab down.

Tried rebooting all 6 via vpscp, one came back

Went into rescue mode, all good, till I tried mounting /dev/sda1 (primary drive), then the one I put in rescue froze. Tried another one , thinking fluke? Same

Been a couple hours now, absolutely no response from these guys.

Really bad 'service', I've gotta say

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Don't buy multiple VPS of same/similar type in the same location from the same provider.
    This protects against hardware and network fault.

Don't expect fast response.
    Wait at least 24 hours before crying.

• GanonkGanonk Member

OK

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2023

If you want a good response in 2 hours or less, it's better to go with AWS. That way they can pay minimum wage to a chat support agent who will say "We are investigating this and we thank you for your patience" within the first 15 minutes. I know for my money, I'd gladly pay 100x the price to get empty answers fast.

The reason you use less expensive VPS providers is because you can have 3 servers from 3 providers for less than 1 at the big names.

Thanked by 2Calin equalz
  • @jar said: If you want a good response in 2 hours or less

This is about the worst take ever. Blame the customer when the provider is at fault here.

I pay these people $100+/month for service, and yes, at least acknowledging that there's an issue and they're working on it in a reasonable time is expected.

edited July 2023

@jar said:
    That way they can pay minimum wage to a chat support agent who will say "We are investigating this and we thank you for your patience" within the first 15 minutes.

@NDTN has a script replying to every technical ticket with:

Hello, Please wait. We will check and get back to you soon. Thanks! GreenCloud Team

This automated reply is posted 10 minutes after each customer ticket or reply, if a technician hasn't replied by then.
    No need to pay minimum wage.

Thanked by 3jar brueggus ariq01
    edited July 2023

@twhiting9275 said:

@jar said: If you want a good response in 2 hours or less

This is about the worst take ever. Blame the customer when the provider is at fault here.

I pay these people $100+/month for service, and yes, at least acknowledging that there's an issue and they're working on it in a reasonable time is expected.

I didn't blame you, but your quick defensiveness speaks volumes that you probably didn't intend to communicate about yourself. I just now get the feeling you're a bit exhausting. Otherwise we might have shared a brief laugh at people who choose AWS for it's "faster support."

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:
    That way they can pay minimum wage to a chat support agent who will say "We are investigating this and we thank you for your patience" within the first 15 minutes.

Hello, Please wait. We will check and get back to you soon. Thanks! GreenCloud Team

This automated reply is posted 10 minutes after each customer ticket or reply, if a technician hasn't replied by then.

That's simple genius. No one can ever say they didn't get a quick response, and similarly no one can appreciate the content of the fast response 🀣

• You probably aren't the only person affected, and they are most likely aware and trying to fix it then report that it's fixed.

Providers can't win this. If they post updates they would be accused of wasting time with updates and not fixing the issue...

Thanked by 2jar yoursunny

@dahartigan said:
    You probably aren't the only person affected, and they are most likely aware and trying to fix it then report that it's fixed.

Providers can't win this. If they post updates they would be accused of wasting time with updates and not fixing the issue...

Yeah. I do that, waste time giving updates that could be spent fixing issues. It's quite clear to me from my time on hosting forums that customers prefer communication over work, so... give the people what they want 🀣

• @jar said:

@dahartigan said:
    You probably aren't the only person affected, and they are most likely aware and trying to fix it then report that it's fixed.

Yeah. I do that, waste time giving updates that could be spent fixing issues. It's quite clear to me from my time on hosting forums that customers prefer communication over work, so... give the people what they want 🀣

It's another interesting phenomena that occurs when you mix machines and humans. Machines work 100% with logic and laws of physics where humans are a mess of feelings and opinions.

Billions of dollars to the person who can solve that fundamental issue.

Thanked by 1jar
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@jar said:
    If you want a good response in 2 hours or less, it's better to go with AWS. That way they can pay minimum wage to a chat support agent who will say "We are investigating this and we thank you for your patience" within the first 15 minutes. I know for my money, I'd gladly pay 100x the price to get empty answers fast.

The reason you use less expensive VPS providers is because you can have 3 servers from 3 providers for less than 1 at the big names.

For technical support, you will also have to pay at least an additional $29 for their cheapest support plan. Otherwise, all you can do is cry on SNS and hope that someone will see you and answer you.

Also, AWS doesn't offer HA at the VM level. Some people think that hosting their websites on a single AWS EC2 might have better availability and scalability, but it's just wrong.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

• RUSSRUSS Member

disk showing 5GB or something?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2023

@twhiting9275 said:

Ipay these people $100+/month for service, and yes, at least acknowledging that there's an issue and they're working on it in a reasonable time is expected.

How much would the same service cost at aws, do, vultr?

Pay peanut expect fury animal

• JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

@twhiting9275 said:

What exactly do you get for that $100+ though, you may over $100 a month but really depends what you are getting for that in terms of resources, guarantees of response times (if any)

If you go to a company that will guarantee a human reply within 20 minutes you may x5 that cost

Thanked by 1jar
  • emghemgh Member

I hate providers with worthless fast support and slow meaningful support.

MassiveGrid does this and I left them after about a week

You can expect a few minutes at most, but even for the simplest of questions, you’re getting something along the lines of they’re now actively looking into it

The actual reply will come a lot later, hours or days

But they might keep updating you that the people that know stuff are really trying hard to look into your very simple question and they’ll provide further information as required blablabla

I moved because of how frustrating this was

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited July 2023

My server on NVMEK3MIA went down a few minutes after your thread. It was restarted.

Thread opened 20:12, downtime 20:47 that lasted until 20:49.
    No notification about the restart, but my server seems to be working fine.

Did your issue get resolved, OP?

• I think OP did a hit and run here...

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@dahartigan said:
    I think OP did a hit and run here...

Lmao

Joined November 2013

Has such a high barrier to post that he never once created a thread, for 10 years

A VPS was acting weird, remembering his 10 year old LET acc, he creates a thread

He’ll check back in another 10 years

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@JeDaYoshi said:
    My server on NVMEK3MIA went down a few minutes after your thread. It was restarted.

So 2 minutes right? Just making sure I read your info right?

• @emgh said:

@dahartigan said:
    I think OP did a hit and run here...

Lmao

Joined November 2013

Has such a high barrier to post that he never once created a thread, for 10 years

A VPS was acting weird, remembering his 10 year old LET acc, he creates a thread

He’ll check back in another 10 years

ROFL 🀣

Thanked by 1emgh
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited July 2023

@risharde said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

So 2 minutes right? Just making sure I read your info right?

Correct. A month or two ago there was a downtime of... 1 minute, but that was just networking; uptime wasn't affected that time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:

So some providers guarantee a response within 10 mins and it seems to me it doesn’t matter that response is useless πŸ˜‚

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@WebProject said:

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:

So some providers guarantee a response within 10 mins and it seems to me it doesn’t matter that response is useless πŸ˜‚

As @yoursunny mentioning us here for the first response by the system, we need to clarify several things:
    1. The automated message will be posted after 5-10 mins while our staff is taking a look at the issue, it does not mean that the tickets will be left unanswered in hours or days. In the past, that message will be posted by our staff, then they will look into the issues. That wastes a few minutes to type that message while we can spend that time to resolve the issues, that's why the automated message was born ;) Our technical support is always 24/7.
    2. Our resolution time is ~ from 5 mins to 30 mins, most of the tickets are resolved within 15 mins. In @yoursunny ticket, it took 23 mins for a proposed message from our staff for the next steps to resolve the issue: https://prnt.sc/ZWdluNGBSBmW
    3. Be a customer of GreenCloud and test our support if you have any doubts. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service, not only in low-end but also high-end markets.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Not to mention that most tickets are resolved before the automated message to kick in. Our latest tickets, both Sales/Billing and Technical:
    3 mins: https://prnt.sc/8xaBPdBIGNxR
    4 mins: https://prnt.sc/WcRFlxtXRKNq
    4 mins: https://prnt.sc/v0X4iKQvjZdn

@NDTN said:
    In @yoursunny ticket, it took 23 mins for a proposed message from our staff for the next steps to resolve the issue

Yes, this is true.
    This is my first technical ticket with GreenCloudVPS.
    It's not perfect experience, but it's better than many other providers.
    Timing of this ticket:

β˜€οΈ 03:35
    πŸ€– 03:40
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 03:58, 23min
    β˜€οΈ 04:05
    πŸ€– 04:15
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 04:45, 40min
    β˜€οΈ 04:47
    β˜€οΈ 04:49
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 04:52, 5min
    β˜€οΈ 04:54
    πŸ€– 05:00
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 05:02, 8min
    β˜€οΈ 05:05
    πŸ€– 05:15
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 05:40, 35min
    β˜€οΈ 05:46
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 05:51, 5min
    β˜€οΈ 05:52
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 05:55, 3min
    β˜€οΈ 06:00
    πŸ€– 06:10
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 06:10, 10min
    β˜€οΈ 06:25
    πŸ€– 06:35
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 07:29, 64min: identified that the issue isn't customer misconfiguration and agreed to investigate data center equipment
    β˜€οΈ 11:05
    πŸ€– 11:10
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 11:21, 16min
    β˜€οΈ 11:24
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 11:28, 4min
    β˜€οΈ 13:09
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 13:14, 5min
    β˜€οΈ 13:17
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 13:21, 4min
    β˜€οΈ 13:30
    πŸ€– 13:40
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 14:03, 33min: identified root cause, on hold for data center action
    β˜€οΈ 14:05
    πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 14:06, 1min
    β˜€οΈ +3d 00:19, found the issue resolved, closing ticket

Thanked by 2emgh NDTN