Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to know if my server storage is NVMe or not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to know if my server storage is NVMe or not?

prak42prak42 Member
edited July 2023 in Help

Hello.

I recently bought a server from somewhere and it mentioned having NVMe storage.

Today I was just curious if it had or not, and I found this command that lists storage devices:

lsblk -d

The results returned:

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
vda 252:0 0 80G 0 disk

After some searches it looks like they are CD/ROM etc. I'm unsure what to conclude.

Comments

• edited July 2023

If it's a VPS I don't think you are able to tell. One of your partitions named vda suggests this.

Maybe try running an IO benchmark. If it's fast enough it's probably NVMe.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    If it's a VPS I don't think you are able to tell. One of your partitions named vda suggests this.

This. Also disk model will probably be something like "Virtual disk" when using VPS.

• prak42prak42 Member

@CyberneticTitan said:

@let_rocks said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

This. Also disk model will probably be something like "Virtual disk" when using VPS.

Understood, thank you. I've never ran benchmarks on a server before. I'm looking up online for some guidance. Do you have any resources to share?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Why do you doubt your provider?

Are you running into disk I/O bottlenecks or something?

• let_rockslet_rocks Member
    edited July 2023

@prak42 said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

@let_rocks said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

Understood, thank you. I've never ran benchmarks on a server before. I'm looking up online for some guidance. Do you have any resources to share?

https://romanrm.net/dd-benchmark. I use this one quite often. The recommended option with the fdatasync. You can adjust the value of count to a higher one, but make sure you have enough free disk space. count=256 & bs=1M = 256 x 1MiB = 256 MiB (iirc the value is in MiB but don't pin me on that).
    count=10240 & bs=1M = 10240 x 1 MiB = 10240 MiB = about 10 gigabytes, etc.